PDA

View Full Version : WOW exmark blades must be made of krytonite

jbell113
10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
because like a dummy in a big hurry I began to mow a prop Ive never mowed before and I hit a piece of rebar sticking up. Got back to the shop to check the blades and not a nick on them. unbelievable

Dashunde
10-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Did your blades actually HIT the rebar? They couldnt have, really, to still be free of nicks.
Blades are made of a semi-soft steel...

I got ahold of the last half of a cockbox cap, after the guy before me took the first half off.
That little chunk of cast iron beat the snot out of all six of my blades.
Spent an hour cleaning them up.

JTW
10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah rebar deffinetly knicks up the blades... even bends them at a 90* angle.

And yes I know this for a fact :laugh:

KathysLGC
10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Chances are the deck hit the rebar not the blade. There might be a slight chance the bolt holding the blades on hit it.

jbell113
10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
It may have been the bolt but it made an awful raquet grinding and knocking. The blades cut 3/4 of the way through the metal stick that was in the ground. Now that I think about it I think the metal piece that was in the ground was a solid aluminum pipe ...maybe that would explain why the blades werent nicked up. Sorry for misinforming every one but the blades still are fine.

KathysLGC
10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Even if it was aluminum it would have still nicked the blade a bit. I've hit nothing but a tree root and caused a nick. If your saying you saw the pipe cut 3/4 the way through that means the blade did hit the pipe. I've never seem a solid aluminum pipe in the ground.

burns60
10-13-2005, 12:02 AM
It may have been the bolt but it made an awful raquet grinding and knocking. The blades cut 3/4 of the way through the metal stick that was in the ground. Now that I think about it I think the metal piece that was in the ground was a solid aluminum pipe ...maybe that would explain why the blades werent nicked up. Sorry for misinforming every one but the blades still are fine.

If whatever you hit killed the engine or stopped the blades,( which would probably stop the engine) it is a chance the blade only hit the object once. There is also a chance that it did not niche the blade. So, yes I think it could happen without niching the blade. I ran up on a ground rod sticking up about three inches one time and it immediately stopped the engine and the blade was not damaged at all. I was lucky of course that a spindle was not broken or something else. Also if you hit the blade nut you will most likely have to heat it to get it off. (but that wouldn't have cut the rod I guess)

roscioli
10-13-2005, 12:24 AM
my employee once ran over the corner of my trailer ramp with my exmark z and it didnt kill the blades quite as much as i thought it would... it cut right through the weld and the mesh!