PDA

View Full Version : Red Clay

muxx
10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know, which grasses grow the best in red clay? I have a yard in Southern Ohio that has alot of red clay and I am in need of a good grass seed.

befnme
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
coastal bermuda will grow anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!litteraly.

jeffex
10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
rebel tall fescue supreme aerate seed starter and lime magic potion for clay
if you realy want results with clay put some dry play sand in your spreader and let it fly. it fill up the aeration holes and helps keep the clay from compacting too fast

befnme
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
i just think fescue is an ugly grass and it wont crawl and spread like coastal, if you use bermuda it will cover in no time.

muxx
10-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the input

ThreeWide
10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
You might be on the fringe of the climate zone for Bermuda. In any event, it is too late in the season to establish Bermuda from seed in your area.

Sometimes your choices are limited to when the project takes place, so I would think either Tall Fescue or Bluegrass would be in order. Mixing the two has become a common practice as well.

Mowingman
10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't believe you can use Bermuda in southern Ohio. I grew up there, and never saw a Bermuda lawn in the 26 years I lived in that area. Maybe thay have some new variety that will survive up there, but I don't think so. I would go with some type of Fescue or Bluegrass.