PDA

View Full Version : Pick up the citrus..or cut it up!?!

Maitland Man
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
...how 'bout it? Do you fellow Floridians pick up the citrus every week for your "monthly" customers...or leave it?

Dennis

Tonyr
10-11-2005, 06:26 PM
run over the stuff....it should juice up and dissapear, works for me over here.

befnme
10-11-2005, 06:32 PM
when i lived in polk county, fl. we would walk around and kick them under the tree as far as we could. i didn't like the smell of cut open rotten citrus.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I have 2 yards with pear trees and this time of year the ground is covered with them. I turn them into pear sause. Did have one lady ask me to pick them up untill I gave her a price. She had enough to fill at least 4 five gallon buckets. Mowing them up was all of a sudden fine.:D

CutInEdge Lawn Care
10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I usually run over them. Love the smell of chopped oranges. If homeowner is there I will pick some up but for most part, I let mother nature do it's deed.

lawnmaniac883
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I run over them as well, nothing like the fresh citrus scent and cleaning powers lol! Hit a small papaya the other day, now that was interesting, think I will be moving them outta the way next time lol.

Precision
10-11-2005, 09:17 PM
chop them into bits. No one even asks, well they never ask again after I quote them $75 per hour for pick up and disposal in their yard waste can.

lawnman_scott
10-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I ask that question when doing a estimate. Thats one freebee that you dont want to be doing.

twindiddy
10-11-2005, 11:49 PM
mulch 'em!

jgc8fan
10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Run 'em over... Oranges do a great job of cleaning the deck... Which is good as the yard we do with the orange tree has a dog that needs to have it's diet changed. LOL

ProLawnEquipment
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Cutting them is easiest but with the Blight we have around here do we really want to cut up fruit and spray it around and chance spreadding it even more to unaffected trees?

Keith
10-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Run em over! Most accounts that have fruit laying in the yard don't pay enough to pick them up. I figure if they haven't picked up the half decomposed fruit, it's not much of a concern to them. Only on rare occasions, where it sticks out like a sore thumb will I bother.

Envy Lawn Service
10-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't pick up any fruits.

I have one account with a peach tree... they clean
I have two accounts with two apple trees... they clean
And I have one account with persimmon trees... they clean (what a mess on the sidewalk)

Other trees I really hate are Chesnut and Hickory trees.

On a side note, the hickory trees here are loaded heavy with nuts this year and they are just starting to drop heavy. I almost lost my ZTR today on a bank covered with them. It's like trying to drive across golf balls.... and you NEVER side discharge lawns with these because they also launch like golf balls.

Mickhippy
10-12-2005, 05:27 AM
Run them over. Love the smell of a freshly smashed up orange and or lemon!

ProMo
10-12-2005, 07:33 AM
I leave them under the tree until they dry out.

Maitland Man
10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
...I've been leaving them for the most part......I tell them that they won't let me take citrus with me to the yard waste section....and if they did want me to pick them up.....I'd dang well like to get paid for it:blob4:

Dennis

kmann
10-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Run em over, puts a nice scent in the air. My favorites are Grapefruits. Fly out the chute real nice when they're rotten.

TClawn
10-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I love mowing around citrus trees, any leaves and fruit that are on the ground get thrown, and it smells great. you can't see them unless it is huge.

now the worst, is rotten guava. that stuff is nasty, it will spray all over you like dog poop will, and has little tiny seeds that are impossible to remove. not too bad mowing, but if you hit one of them with the wacker, woe is you.

nelbuts
10-12-2005, 08:06 PM
This is asked every year and I believe I can say that over 98% of us play chop-o-matic on the nasty things. Citrus trees belong in a grove not in a yard.

Oh and I like the rotten ones when you hit them with the weedeater and it smacks against your legs and face.:angry:

logan
10-13-2005, 08:15 AM
I chop them up too. I figure if you are buying citrus cleaners for your house, then why not use the real thing for your mower deck. It is natures air freshener.

Shawns Lawns
10-13-2005, 07:25 PM
The way i see it is, they know your coming every week or so. If they wanted you to not mulch the fruit they would pick it up. So since it is there when i show up i cut em.:waving: