PDA

View Full Version : Scag Clutch Starts Slipping or Half Dissengaugement

CNYFarmboy
10-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I have a scag hydro, like a 1998 or so. It has the kohler 20hp motor and a 61" deck. Now for the past week or so I start mowing and the clutch will work great for about 1 acre and then it starts to disengauge, like a belt slip, but when i stop it reengauges. The belts are tight and I put a new voltage regualtor on. I was just wondering what a cutch does when it goes bad, if it starts doing some stupid stuff or do they just quit. So I hope to hear from you guys, Thanks Joe

Steppenwolf
10-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Check the air gap on the clutch,ask your dealer for the correct adjustment.

befnme
10-11-2005, 09:12 PM
those elec clutches will indeed slip if you have had them in a bad bind before.i had one on my husqvarna go bad after i tackled some bad stuff.when i engaged it it would take a few sec to kick in fully and then would do fine until it got into even slightly tall grass.nothin to do but have it replaced under warranty.as far as it being a scag my scag will sometimes disengage itself by the toggle switch poping out of the on position as if it knows it has run for an acre or so and wants a rest. ;)

YLC1
10-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Check all the electrical connections from the battery to the switch to the clutch.I found a loose ground on aToro Z that was causing the clutch to 'drop' out then start back.Hope this helps.Richard

lqmustang
10-11-2005, 09:47 PM
A '98 that has never had the air gap adjusted? I would definitely check and adjust.

TLS
10-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Give each of the 3 nuts on the clutch a half turn.

wherebluegrassgrows
10-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Clutch slip has to do with heat expansion IF NOT TOTALLY WORN? Call dealer they should be able to tell you how to adjust it. hens the "worked great for about an acre".