PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tried Personal Gardeners?

Az Gardener
10-11-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm not talking about a solo operation. My thought is have individual personal gardeners for the clients, maybe they have 3-5 estates to take care of. Just the shrubs and flowers, all the technical and the time consuming, tedious work. Send the mow and blow crew to coincide with their visits to pick up the debris. Possibly pay them a piece price and then you could 1099 them and they would supply their own pruning tools etc. Is anyone doing this or have tried something similar? Or am I just in the sun too much?

garth1967
10-13-2005, 09:15 AM
i do that in my busy season peaple really people really like it and it looks professional

GREENGAR
10-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi Garth, Trevor from West Oz here, I operate solo but offer all the services my customers require, I always have heaps of work and recommendations from customers always keep the mobile ringing. How's the water situation in Brisbane, we've had the best winter here for 5 years.

Runner
10-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I called Martha Stewart about this, thinking that maybe she could come work for us....she hasn't returned my phone call yet.

GreenUtah
10-14-2005, 12:56 PM
This is actually pretty common in a lot of the commercial maintenance companies, where gardening is always part of the deal. In order to keep your mowing equipment moving, maximizing the revenue it produces, we would always have seperate gardeners in a small truck with their own set of tools, shaping, weeding, planting, whatever needed to be done in the bedding areas. Keep the 45 grand worth of equipment ( typical comm outfit of truck, trailer, mowers, blowers, etc.) moving and producing. It is also actually easier to find workers for non mowing related positions, esp if you include the ability to design plantings. Customers LOVE having someone whose focus is on the flowers and shrubs.

garth1967
10-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi Garth, Trevor from West Oz here, I operate solo but offer all the services my customers require, I always have heaps of work and recommendations from customers always keep the mobile ringing. How's the water situation in Brisbane, we've had the best winter here for 5 years.
hows things in w.a its all systems go here in brissie i actually started this time last year and hit the ground running after the first three months i noticed there wasnt many people doing general gardening in fact that was the main complaint about the franchises so i took a gamble and employed 2 people to prune weed spray and so onand it sevre me welljuly believe it or not was my big money month the answer to water situation it rain for the first time in 2months here yesterday there are water restrictions at the moment the dams are at 35%

GarPA
10-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Actually we have a service we market called "You Personal Gardener" program. On most of these, the customer does their own mowing and we take care of everything else including flower displays.( frankly if I dont ever have to turn a mower on thats just fine with me). All of these accounts are very profitable. Many mowing companies dont have the plant knowledge to do this kind of work so offering this service sets us apart from most of the Joes Mow and Go outfits. We're always looking for ways to set us apart from the competition as mowing has become like milk and bread...a commodity (everybody sells it, and prices are held in check)