PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest/Worst thing you hit this season

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Worst thing ive hit is a couple of door mats with the Lawn Boy made a pudy noise when it happened, also hit my fair share of rocks

jmurphy
10-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I hate roots the most.:realmad: Even with my ear plugs the noise scares the crap out of me.

Jpocket
10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
haven't done it this year, but if you hit one news paper you'll NEVER do it again

DJ Contracting
10-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Was cutting one of my accounts and could not see the object (do to the grass being to long) and hit a piece of steel from a simi bud wheel that had been cut up for scrap.

Future LCO
10-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Baby Rabbits seem to be attracted to the mowers i operate. But I always seem to be a great magnet for golf balls as well.

Of course I have the usual flinging dog poo all over myself with the trimmer and riding through a huge spiderweb first thing in the morning. Those are always enjoyable as well.

Worst thing ever? Sunday newspaper with a 60" Grasshopper. Oh yeah...it was just like a snowy christmas morning!

cborden
10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Rocks, painted green, and I have a good idea where they came from.

procut
10-11-2005, 09:55 PM
I've hit all the usuall stuff, rocks, tree roots, pop bottles, papers/trash, ect., but the biggest surprise this this year was a full can of beer. Splatterd all of the mower and side of my face, discusting.

TURF DOCTOR
10-11-2005, 10:03 PM
A sunday paper on a big area man what a mess.

newz7151
10-11-2005, 10:08 PM

Ireland? Krypton? The Emerald City?

Come on.. tell us.. indulge us, we're DYING to know.

Guthrie&Co
10-11-2005, 10:11 PM
fully loaded .38 pistol. almost hit it. i saw it right before i went over it.

KCLandscape
10-11-2005, 10:14 PM
a dead snake that had a SQUIRREL (SP?) halfway down the throat. It was about 4 ft bull snake - very mean. It appeared to have died eating the tree rat. I only hit the tail end before I got off the rider to check it out. Wish I would have had a camera. Commercial printer down by the river was the location.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM

sorry...... thought someone else was doing that yard.

Appalachian landscape
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I hit a 6' or 8' piece of 5/8" rope. Shut me down for a good half hour cutting that crap out of my blades. I was frigging pizzed, that yard always has trash in it and random large rocks that get in the turf sections sometimes. I've hit a 2"x4" and bent a blade, the rope, a pizza box (that one was funny, I was trying to be a butthole, saw it the whole time, could have avoided it), countless beer bottles and cans, tampons, take out food boxes, and all sorts of other filth and random items, all at same residential location this year. I'll probably hit some other stuff there since it is due up tomorrow.

Woody82986
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I have hit every type of sports ball that will fit under the deck this year... baseball, softball, golf ball, tennis ball, racquet ball... you name it. I am just lucky I haven't hit a croquet ball...

jgc8fan
10-11-2005, 11:34 PM
haven't done it this year, but if you hit one news paper you'll NEVER do it again

LOL Did that last year... Thought I was going around it in the driveway, but the ZTR sucked it in. Glad it was my own yard I was doing. I would have hated cleaning it in a customer's yard. :rolleyes:

lwcmattlifter
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I caught a 4x4' piece of carpet. Stooped the mower dead in it's tracks. The carpet was upside down and blended in with the dormant grass. Worst part of it all is that the carpet stunk like a rotten carcass.

jbell113
10-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Hit a piece of rebar today and grinded it down even with the ground...the mower never shut off.

Mower For Less
10-12-2005, 12:11 AM
I have hit an old flag pole mount in a front yard (concrete with sawn off metal flag pole, protruding slightly above cut height), grazed it with the blades, and ground the top of it smooth :) (Yes, concrete and all). I have also hit my fair share of tennis balls, dog toys, stuffed animals (also the dogs toys), metal impulse sprinklers left in the ground with no hose attached, completely hidden under grass, wire/metal plant hangers (also camo green), 2x4 (which bent a gator blade and wedged itself into the gator teeth... left it like that for a souvenir) rope, plastic bags, papers (never a full newspaper, but little flyers and advertisements), and probably loads of other stuff I cant recall...... BUT THE BEST ONE YET was a water main shutoff (the ones they put out in the lawn between the sidewalk and street). It was installed wrong apparently, and sat up too high. Grass had not been cut in weeks (New customer) so there I am buzzing along on the mower, near full speed, when all of the sudden WHACK, instant stop, I go flying into the bars, damn near knocked the wind out of myself. I hit it with the blades, and snagged it with the front of the jungle wheels, stopping the mower DEAD in its tracks. Hydro's kept pumping, so while I was recovering from my incident with the ECS controls into my stomach, the tires were freely ripping up the grass. I hit it so hard I moved it up about another 3/4" from where it was. Now it can be clearly seen and I dont hit it anymore. :cool2:

Kevin

Billz
10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Last friday while mowing a movie rental store, I almost ran over $50....almost!:cool2:

wowlawncare
10-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Weridest thing ive hit was a firehose. I mowed a schools football field and it was laying in the middle. Coolest thing ive ever done is cliped the side of one of the cables holding the telephone poles in place. Broke it right off and watched the pole sway side to side. Pretty scary and didnet even bend a blade. Dont get to close to thoes lol.

EXspyguy
10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Last friday while mowing a movie rental store, I almost ran over $50....almost!:cool2:

It's funny how some one would see that before hitting it but not see the sunday paper.

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 08:26 AM
It's funny how some one would see that before hitting it but not see the sunday paper.also, his name just happens to be BILLZ:laugh:

mpm32
10-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I ran over a brick, got off to move it/check my blades and it was gone. The mower vaporized it, nothing was left but brick dust. No damage at all to blades or mower.

Maitland Man
10-12-2005, 10:48 AM
We service this yard weekly, and weekly we here the dog yapping it's fluffy little hair out from the screen pool area. We always edge around the screen pool and give it looks... well one week I'm buzzing around that same bed with the big hedge in front of it that blocks the view of the screen door that is always shut....but this time. I heard the dog yap, and then wham, the dog had come running around that hedge and into my edger blade. Homeowner left the screen door open.:cry:

The dog lived but had stiches in it's leg and the blade grazed his chest...I was freaking. Customer accepted respnsibility of leaving the door open....and all was good.........never saw the dog after that...but heard him bark from inside.:eek:

Dennis

KUBOTADAN
10-12-2005, 11:48 AM
fence wire. Also snakes.

Natural Impressions
10-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I hit the usual rocks, roots, even a few soda cans( dangerous) but the thing that messed me up the most this year was my trailer being hit by an idiot driver. Had to replace the driver side wheel, rim, and entire axel

10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
ive hit full cans of soda before, was kinda cool but i doubt i want to do it again:p

gorknoids
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I hit something worse than those tightly-wadded snot-rags that people toss around the doorways to every single nursing home we cut. You know the ones. They go from the size of a pea to covering 100 square feet in a nanosecond? Two weeks ago I hit a pack of rolling papers. It looked like Times Square after the VJ Day celebration!

Sir mowsalot
10-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I was mowing thru extremely tall grass (over my head) with my scag and i heard metal being torn apart, and shredded to peices. Turns out it was an exmark in there, i kept on mowing.

lawnmaniac883
10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
3/4 inch piece of rebar that was apparently emerging 4'' from the ground, the 6'' grass disguised it nicely.

tinman
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
warf rat..nasty.......

LwnmwrMan22
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Ran over a female duck, full grown.

THWUNK!

Ran out from some weeds along a drainage pond I was mowing right under the mower.

DBL
10-12-2005, 05:08 PM
the newspaper was pretty bad for me but one customer was having a basketball net put in and left the bolts in the grass like 10 ft away where they shouldnt have been and i couldnt see them...so i shot one atleast 20-30 yards through a window and hit a wall.

Microbe
10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I"m sorry but the duck just had me on the floor!

jgc8fan
10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Glad I haven't hit anything living. LOL The worst thing was last year we got a new prop from a realtor. 10" tall St Augustine. The agent was "supposed" to mark obstacles and property lines, and I let my partner run through with the trimmer to clear around any flags first. Well... I'm mowing the back, and suddenly WHAM!!! Spatter... Spatter... Plink Plink... Disengaged the blades, backed up and see what's left of an outdoor electrical outlet. Why it was in the middle of the yard I will never know. Nothing but tiny pieces left. I looked around for a flag, and finally found it... Stuck in the ground 10' away from the outlet! It gets worse... We go out front to take a break and figure out what to do, and while we're sitting there 3 carloads of agents from the realtor and the brokers show up. I casually walked to the back yard got on the ZTR, started it, and parked over the carnage. Then I went out front got the WB, and mowed in front awhile until they left. LOL We sealed the wires with some grease caps and electrical tape, and shoved it all into the ground. Pieces of outlet AND the flag went into a trash bag. A few days later we run into the listing agent, and he asks us if we know what happened to the outlet... "What outlet??? I never saw one... How 'bout you (to my partner)." "Nope". "I know it was there" The realtor says "I marked it with a flag" ROFL

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I was mowing thru extremely tall grass (over my head) with my scag and i heard metal being torn apart, and shredded to peices. Turns out it was an exmark in there, i kept on mowing.

thats got to be the best one!:laugh:

gman44
10-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I hit a kids slip and slide ...sucked it up and stopped the machine dead . I hit the handle bars and almost ate the gas tank ...

qps
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
True story, one of my employees was cresting a hill and on the other side was a pile of dog turds, he couldn't stop but tried to spin the ztr around, slid the back tires through the pile of crap, spinning the mower out and down the hill backwards into a chain link fence....:p

DBL
10-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I"m sorry but the duck just had me on the floor!

i agree ill never forget that one

South Florida Lawns
10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Apparently people had been feeding it, which makes them not so afraid of humans. I was on my Z and just rolled over the tip as he dashed into the water.

white_boyz1
10-12-2005, 07:58 PM
how about one nice 50 foot green garden hose.........fun fun

mcwlandscaping
10-12-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with you there!! Scares the crap out of me. I keep a close watch for em but miss them occasionally!

thartz
10-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Mowing a restaurant hit a condom; gross. Hitting the dildo was worse. I am not making this up I swear. Ran over a crack pipe at the same location in the back lot right near a wooded area.

LawnBrother
10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Hit a dead bird, it smelled pretty bad but it was kind of funny because I was mowing by my truck and it shot out in a poof of feathers and hit my hubcap with a really loud "PING!" Also hit a newspaper this year, it was a real mess. Oh, and a full can of dial deoderant spray. My mower never smelled so good......

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Mowing a restaurant hit a condom; gross. Hitting the dildo was worse. I am not making this up I swear. Ran over a crack pipe at the same location in the back lot right near a wooded area.
now thats just plumb wasteful. throwing away a good dildo and crack pipe... what has this world become?:p

thartz
10-12-2005, 09:04 PM
lawnwizards; they are still there if you want'em.I'll e-mail you directions:D

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 09:17 PM
lawnwizards; they are still there if you want'em.I'll e-mail you directions:D
thanks, but i quit crack last month and i really have no need for a dildo.. i know some funny guy down the road who may want it though...:waving:

thartz
10-12-2005, 09:21 PM
tell him to invite a friend so they can both have a half.:p

flam41
10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
a piece of fried chicken..... where it came from?
ran over expanding foam can w a forklift once, like a mushroom cloud!

flam41
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
& a dead rotted kitten last week right into the streed. where is a paked schoolbus when you need it.

10-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Damn woulda payed $$ to see that can of foam go up

nitrotim
10-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I was using my walk behind today and cutting along the property line of a customers house. The neighbor has weeds growing about two foot tall and doesn't cut them down. Well I am going along and apparently they marked out the property with a piece of rebar about two foot. It was brown rusted and blended in with weeds and I caught it with the left side of the mower turning around. The ground was soft so it just went over and Ouch the blade looks like a blade off my saws all now. haven't tried to sharpene it yet so will see if its salvalgeble.

tralfaz
10-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Ran over a rabbit's nest. Usually you just hit one and the others go scattering about. I don't know how but there were four of them that were either dead or moving slowly with organs hanging out. It looked like a warzone. The worse thing about it was the black lab in the yard taking one of the remaining live ones (not for too much longer) in her mouth and shaking it violently.
Also, one of my mowers pulled in the tie string on a big tarp, which in turn pulled the tarp under the deck. That is the only time that that mower has stopped (27HP Lazer Z). Took forever to get that out from under the deck.

LwnmwrMan22
10-13-2005, 12:52 AM
The other one I HATE is the used feminine hygiene products.

I always wonder what happens to the flowage that was behind it????