PDA

View Full Version : hit something!

twindiddy
10-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I was mowing a vacant lot the other day and hit something. Never did find it. Bent a piece of metal (baffle?) into the blade path.

I'm thinking I can just cut that piece off with a torch.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 10:50 PM
hit it with a sledge hammer a few times... or have your husband hit it...

twindiddy
10-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think I can get a good enough whack to bend it back. Maybe if I had a lift. I am the husband.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 11:07 PM
sorry..... my mowers, i can quickly and easily take the decks off and flip them upside down. try hitting big punch or crowbar, or else cut piece off straighten it and weld it back on.

TURFLORD
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
If you have oxi-acetylene tanks heat it up til it glows then get the BFH. And buy some new blades, man.:D

Sharp Services
10-12-2005, 04:13 PM
or have your husband hit it...

I am sorry ... but that is to funny!!!

twindiddy
10-12-2005, 06:10 PM
If you have oxi-acetylene tanks heat it up til it glows then get the BFH. And buy some new blades, man.:D

yeah, they look pretty bad. but this green machine cuts like a dream! if it ain't broke, don't fix it. probably been 2 months since they were sharpened.

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I am sorry ... but that is to funny!!!

i wasnt trying to offend anyone. its the wife that is usually on here posting, and i could just picture her banging on it half the night waking the neighbors...

2 months since you sharpened the blades.....:dizzy:

maybe use a large cresent wrench to straighten it. works for me.

Precision
10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
yeah, they look pretty bad. but this green machine cuts like a dream! if it ain't broke, don't fix it. probably been 2 months since they were sharpened.

I also live in central Florida. You are telling me you mow for 2 months without sharpening the blades. What do you mow 1/4 acre once a week? My girlfriend needs her blade sharpened more often than once every two months and she only mows her own lawn (.23 Acres).

I change blades AT LEAST daily. On large acreage days the mower may see as many as 3 sets of blades in the same day.

And before I hear any crap, yeah I love the fact that she insists on mowing her own yard. She is pretty good in other areas too. I think I might just keep her.

twindiddy
10-13-2005, 07:38 AM
I also live in central Florida. You are telling me you mow for 2 months without sharpening the blades. What do you mow 1/4 acre once a week? My girlfriend needs her blade sharpened more often than once every two months and she only mows her own lawn (.23 Acres).

I change blades AT LEAST daily. On large acreage days the mower may see as many as 3 sets of blades in the same day.

And before I hear any crap, yeah I love the fact that she insists on mowing her own yard. She is pretty good in other areas too. I think I might just keep her.

it's our backup mower, so no, it doesn't see much use.

Precision
10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
it's our backup mower, so no, it doesn't see much use.
Much better, but still. I spray paint all my freshly sharpened blades, otherwise the rust / oxidation alone dulls them.