PDA

View Full Version : ol' bitty call

twindiddy
10-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Susan took a call from an old lady yesterday. She had concerns that her current LCO was blowing the grass back onto her lawn. She thought it was killing her grass. Susan said that's how she does it. That was about it.

I'm thinking of calling her back and explaining why that's not killing her grass and if she has a problem we would be happy to look at it for her.

garth1967
10-12-2005, 05:31 AM
its a can of worms if you ask me i would explain it to her though its good to back each other up i get calls all time somecowboys do a bad job and i say so but if i think the the guy hasnt done a bad job i say so and suggest they stick with him the last thing you what is a job were the person complains about one leaf on the grass and so on:cool2:

TURFLORD
10-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Maybe her grass grows alot and shes talking about the clumps and thick "dusting" of clippings from blowing the sidewalk clean. Just a thought.

gorknoids
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
It got over 100 degrees here a few times this summer, and we were under drought conditions for most of the year. Those without irrigation, and those who thought they were watering enough (I make every attempt to program irrigation systems, but some won't let me, and two others turned them off!) but weren't lost grass this year. Sure as hell, when August rolled around it was the *old women* who somehow became agronomic geniuses overnight. One insisted that we bag her 2.5 acre lawn the week before we got the Z320 with the grasscatcher out of the shop. Prior to this we'd used 52" w/b's, which we did NOT bag with, or the Walker 42". I took that go-faster Toro there last week and had the place cut in 3/4 the time it used to take with the w/b's, and since we can dump along the shoreline (We convinced her it would fight erosion and overwash from high tides) and now we're finally making money on the place. Next summer when her lawn burns up, I'm going to run the Z with the cover raised just to piss her off.
Another one had tried to reclaim an old vegetable garden by covering it with potting soil and K-31. There was a perfect outline of the old garden when the heat set in, but that dead grass died because.........I wasn't bagging.
She: "See this dead grass? That's from your mower (Toro 32" with the mulching baffle installed). It's killing the lawn!" Stating the obvious NEVER works: "Ma'am, that stuff's still attached to the planet." (Smile) Or: "Ma'am, that stuff's 4" long, and we cut at 3.5, which would have required the grass to be at least 7.5" long at the time of cutting. And it's still attached to the planet." Or: "Ma'am, your potting soil is largely sand and compost, it hasn't rained since Johnson was president, it's 104 degrees out here with a 20 knot wind, and you don't water. We don't need to call for a coroner on this murder!"
Schmooze 'em and make sure you don't do anything you can't explain or defend.

trying 2b organic
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Don't call back, your wife did the right thing. This will be a pita customer anyway.

twindiddy
10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Don't call back, your wife did the right thing. This will be a pita customer anyway.

that's what i was thinking. but if she's not liking her lawn, maybe i could upsell a few services and cut her loose.

Precision
10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
that's what i was thinking. but if she's not liking her lawn, maybe i could upsell a few services and cut her loose.

If you need the money that badly then call back. But be warned, someone that ignorant is going to be a real pain in your hind end even before the first check bounces.