PDA

View Full Version : Best Pansy Combos

Sasquatch52
10-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Just wondering what you guys think some good eye catching color combinations are for pansies. I have a real long, curvy bed which is about 2 feet wide and about 100 feet long. Its at a very expensive payup neighborhood entrance which also gets tons of vehicle traffice off the street each day.

Pics, would be really great. :blob3:

Thanks

bigviclbi
10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Alot of pansies have two colors in them, try to match those colors like yellow/blue with blue/purple or blue/dark blue. purlpes, blues, white and yellow are our main choices around here.

treedoc1
10-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Clear solids are better for eyecatching combos. Try to not use blotched (2 color) face pansies in your combination. The colors will appear muted and muddy.

BladeRunner1967
10-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Thought the thread said "Best Panty Combo's" ....So I clicked on right away. Damn!!!!

Sasquatch52
10-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Thought the thread said "Best Panty Combo's" ....So I clicked on right away. Damn!!!!

No.....Sorry!:cool2:

Garth
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I like contrast. Blue with orange, yellow with purple etc. It grabs your eyes and holds them there. With larger plants, I'll use compatable colours but not low bedding plants.

o-so-n-so
10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
solid yellow.

sheshovel
10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Because the area is so long.You could start with a swath of white and pinks..then a swath of purples,blues and blacks,white and pinks again then reds,yellows and orange then, repeat,repeat,repeat
These are short lived and will die when the snow sets.

NickN
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Actually,depending on which part of Tennessee he lives in,they'll last until next summer.Here,pansies look great during the fall,get a bit stunted in the winter,but come back great when the weather warms in spring.They look fine until the hot part of summertime.

AUHort1990
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Have you ever used Viola's? They may have small flowers but there are tons of them and make a huge impact. We have used the Sorbet variety and they are awesome. An example would be S. Blueberry Cream and Yellow Delight...maybe throw in some S. Coconut (white). Also we used some Panola's last year with good success. They are a Pansy/viola cross. On second thought for a bigger impact nix the blueberry cream. Blues tend to disappear depending on where they are...like in front of a bed and not by themselves. Maybe use S. Orange Delight. But if you use the blue I know I would like it...Me being a Auburn fan and all.

Sasquatch52
10-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Because the area is so long.You could start with a swath of white and pinks..then a swath of purples,blues and blacks,white and pinks again then reds,yellows and orange then, repeat,repeat,repeat
These are short lived and will die when the snow sets.

Thanks for the color combinations. Thats sounds real good. If we get any snow its usually at the most half inch to 1 inch. Last year my pansies went all the way until late may before they started looking like crap.

Have you ever used Viola's? They may have small flowers but there are tons of them and make a huge impact. We have used the Sorbet variety and they are awesome. An example would be S. Blueberry Cream and Yellow Delight...maybe throw in some S. Coconut (white). Also we used some Panola's last year with good success. They are a Pansy/viola cross. On second thought for a bigger impact nix the blueberry cream. Blues tend to disappear depending on where they are...like in front of a bed and not by themselves. Maybe use S. Orange Delight. But if you use the blue I know I would like it...Me being a Auburn fan and all.

No i havent ever used them. But i will surely try them. And you say they come in alot of colors. Man,,, you guys down in Alabama must have alot of good choices for flowers, because almost every nursury gets their flowers from Alabama.

Thanks again guys for the help!

AUHort1990
10-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Here is a link to Ball Seeds website for Sorbet Violas.

http://balllandscape.com/popup/violasorbet_page.htm

bigviclbi
10-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Up in NJ we use icicle pansies, they bloom in fall, die back in winter, and then come back in spring. Proven Winners are a great brand of pansies.

Grassmechanic
10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
... Steven Cojocaru and Richard Simmons. Whoooops, sorry about that, I couldn't resist:D Back to the subject: contrasting colors for greatest visual effect.