PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Mowers

superbee
10-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Anybody out there have any experience with diesel mowers? I am considering one as I understand the power is better and they are more fuel efficient. Lots of questions. What brands do you like and why? Do the engines last longer to justify the extra expense? How much more is maintenance? Thanks.

zero_turn_mowers
10-12-2005, 07:20 AM
I have both Walker and Grasshopper Deisels, both have been trouble free with the motors, No extra maintance over a gas burner, both hard to start in real cold temps (like in the 20s-30s) I store in a climate controlled area when I know I will need them in cold wheather, Walker will run about 7 hours on a tank of fuel (4.3 Gal) with a 48 in. deck where the Grasshopper runs about 4 hours (4.3 Gal) with a 61 inch deck which I dont think it does any better on fuel than a gas burner, I have owned in the past Dixie Chopper and Kubotas ZDs with deisels and those as well have been trouble free also, hope this will help, but needless to say I am not sure it is worth the money to go Deisel sure the engines last longer but the rest of the mower will fall apart around the engine.

Tim

Bunton Guy
10-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I have had a bunton with the yanmar diesel on it. Im actually in the market to buy 2 new diesel Z's. We process our own bio-diesel so its dirt cheap for us to fuel anything diesel around the shop.

KUBOTADAN
10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
I have a Kubota ZD 18 & ZD 21. very dependable machines, efficient on fuel and has the power to cut heavy grass here in FLA. I think overcharges for
parts. example yesterday I needed a bolt to hold the blade on. On the Pro Deck bolt was $9.89 on the stamped deck same bolt $22 . Dealer didn't know why just Kubota. But very good machines.

jtkplc
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
do a search for diesel mowers. there have been a couple good threads recently.

Itsgottobegreen
10-13-2005, 01:17 AM
my next mowers are going to be diesel powered. I am leaning mostly on the kubota ZD25 60" pro decks.

Travis Followell
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Both Hustler and Ferris make some very good diesel machines. Both have Caterpillar engines.

Bunton Guy
10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
wana see a repair bill for a Caterpillar diesel engine on a mower??? it will make you think twice once you see the prices for some of the parts!

LwnmwrMan22
10-13-2005, 09:02 PM
I've got 954 hours on my Kubota ZD28 / 60" Pro Deck since June of last year ('04).

So far I've replaced the deck belt.

As for fuel economy, the 28 hp isn't OVERLY economical, but I get about 7 hours out of 6 gallons.

As for buying another?? I don't know.

I'm part of the crowd that believes in running mowers under warranty. This means trading every other year. I'm not too sure the extra cost is feasible in this situation.

However, if you're of the mindset to run a mower into the ground, and that replacing a spindle here and there, or a shaft to drive the mower, or maybe a hydro pump at 3-4,000 hours, then yes, a diesel is what you should be looking at.

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Grasshopper is a proven product. I can not say that about any other diesel on the market. IMO