PDA

View Full Version : Hey Chuck???

RTallday
03-20-2001, 11:42 PM
Hi Chuck, thanks for taking a few minutes to check this out. I was reading your reply to the body swap post and i saw that you mentioned that fiberglass parts are avilable for our trucks. Where can i get these, or a catalog or something. Also, do you know how they fit and things like that? Im sure they would be a GREAT investment, cause I HATE RUST!!! Thanks for your help.

-Rich

Chuck Smith
03-21-2001, 09:42 AM
US Bodysource makes all the fiberglass parts for these trucks. I have been there many times checking out what they have. They are located in Florida. They are well know for fiberglass tilt front ends for stock cars, dragsters and the like. They also sell steel body parts.

The address is http://www.usbody.com/default.htm

U.S. BODY SOURCE
9009 SE CR 325
HAMPTON, FL 32044

I don't know how well the parts fit, but they are very well known, and have been around for years. You don't stay in business long if your parts don't fit correctly. They usually have ads in Hot Rod, Car Craft, and other magazines.

~Chuck

[Edited by Chuck Smith on 03-21-2001 at 10:36 AM]

Chuck Smith
03-21-2001, 07:38 PM
The only problem really is grounding things. You can't just ground wires anywhere. Some fiberglass parts have steel in them, to allow grounding points. Other parts have no grounding points, and ground wires have to be extended down to the chassis. A small "price" to pay for no more rust.

~Chuck

Smither
03-21-2001, 07:45 PM
I'm planning on painting my truck this summer. I don't have the money for the cab and bed shown on their site, but man was I droolin'. Oh wouldn't it be nice. Thanks for the info Chuck.

RTallday
03-22-2001, 12:15 AM
Thanks chuck for that info. Ive checked that out and MAN theres some nice stuff there. Some is expensive, but some not so bad seeing as there will be NO MORE RUST!!! Thanks again.

-Rich

03-22-2001, 06:18 PM
I found out something interesting when checking out fiberglass body parts for one of my projects.

What I call my "millenium project" (because at present rate of progress it will take a least 1 millenium to complete!) is a 1960 Chevy cab & front clip I am going to rebuild & swap onto a newer (73 - 87) frame. There's a lot of rust repair to do, the only fiberglass parts available for it are the fenders.

The interesting find was the prices. In Canadian dollars, 60-66 Chevy truck front fenders were listed at $269 each for fiberglass, $495 each for steel repro and $595 each for steel OEM. Almost twice the price for rustable steel.

Captkaos
03-29-2001, 01:26 AM
I bought their tilt front end for my truck, although I haven't installed it yet, The quality it GREAT. I don't forsee much in the way of body work to get it to match up.