PDA

View Full Version : see what happens when you're nice

bobbygedd
10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
yup, i goofed, how did i goof? i tried to be NICE and i tried to be REASONABLE. alot of my clients are on a flat monthly fee payment plan. they pay the same, rain or shine, 2 cuts or 4 cuts. well, this year was so bad with the drought, i actually mowed only every 3 weeks in late july/aug/sept. and, since i missed so many visits, i deducted some off of the bills. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB. the most recent billing that went out, had no discounts, i'm anticipating heavy growth, and a mess to clean up. now, when they recieved thier last billing, i'm getting complaints, "WHY are you not deducting the weeks you missed? " yup, i just set a precident by trying to be nice, i shot off my own foot. my reply will be simply that, you want missed services discounted, then you'll pay $30 for each pass of the mower. next week if it needs tripple cut, cus of 12" of rain we had, it will be $90, plus a fee for every scrap of leaves that we pick up too. i created a mess, by trying to be fair. never again

Appalachian landscape
10-12-2005, 10:57 AM
you should have seen that coming. human nature. when you give an estimate do you say "$30 per cut" or "$120 per month to maintain the property"?

rodfather
10-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Live and learn bobby...I see your dilema.

bobbygedd
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
you should have seen that coming. human nature. when you give an estimate do you say "$30 per cut" or "$120 per month to maintain the property"?
i do a contract, with the fees broken down (ex/: 30 cuts @$30 =$900. fert program @$350, fcu@$400, etc) then i add it, and divide into 10 equal payments. NOW, in spite of this, the contract clearly states, " we are not responsible for missed cuts due to acts of god. acts of god are defined as- heat/drought conditions, rain, or anything that we have no control over. missed cuts will be strictly at our discretion, and refunds may, or may not be issued, at our discretion." i think this pretty much covers everything

iawegian
10-12-2005, 01:56 PM
My wife works in Chiropractory, and they do something similar. Set up the contract stating how the total ANNUAL fee is set up, based on # of visits x $ / Visit = total, propose discount of 10 - 15% if paid up front in total, 7 - 10% if paid monthly (auto-transfer), or 5% deduct if agree to monthly. THEN divide by 12 (if monthly) AND that there is NO deduct for missed visits.

They also state clearly that a change in circumstance/treatment due to injury results in change in plan and renogotiation.

Expectation Management.

Keep cutting!

gorknoids
10-12-2005, 03:25 PM
This is the same reason why I didn't incorporate a gasoline surcharge.

befnme
10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
you know what they say " give 'em an inch and they will take a mile ".

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 06:03 PM
bobby gedd wouldnt approve of that generosity, bobby....:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Jpocket
10-12-2005, 08:44 PM
What are you gonna do you can't please everyone. People will try to squeeze every little bit out of ya if you let them

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 09:43 PM
bobby gedd wouldnt approve of that generosity, bobby....:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
not to sound like some smart azz but it seems that you have a crush on bobbygedd? you are always talking about him anytime you post and you follow his threads and reply to everyone. so, do you?

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
i reply to anyones threads. probably couple dozen posts each time im on here. helps me relax at night. i think bobby has some interesting post as do several others on here. why are you jealous that i dont pay as much attention to you... huh? did i break your heart.... :cry: :cry: :cry: im sorry....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
i reply to anyones threads. probably couple dozen posts each time im on here. helps me relax at night. i think bobby has some interesting post as do several others on here. why are you jealous that i dont pay as much attention to you... huh? did i break your heart.... :cry: :cry: :cry: im sorry....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
no, didn't break my heart... just proved my point... people who have crushes get defensive when someone calls them on it and your post sounds pretty defensive to me.... case closed mrs. bobbygedd...:D

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
what else would i expect from someone from kentucky.

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 10:06 PM
what else would i expect from someone from kentucky.ooh, that one hit deep... atleast i'm not from west virginia or arkansas. by the way, wasn't the film "deliverance" filmed in arkansas or supposedly about arkansas? mrs gedd.:p

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 10:13 PM
dont know. just moved here few years ago. twister and field of dreams were filmed where im from. do some research... boy!

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 10:23 PM
dont know. just moved here few years ago. twister and field of dreams were filmed where im from. do some research... boy!
boy? i'm older than you... and youre from south dakota? or is it north dakota? anyways, have you seen mt. rushmore? were planning a trip there next year.

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
boy? i'm older than you... and youre from south dakota? or is it north dakota? anyways, have you seen mt. rushmore? were planning a trip there next year.

nope, havent. getting closer. go back and read my posts that werent towards BG. mentioned several times. or else ask yrdngardenhandyman. used to live right down the street from him.

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
nope, havent. getting closer. go back and read my posts that werent towards BG. mentioned several times. or else ask yrdngardenhandyman. used to live right down the street from him.man, i was just clowning with ya. its been slow on here for the past week. seems as if no one is starting any new threads and i'm tired of reading the same ones over and over. just trying to liven things up, not trying to make enemies:pumpkin: my little girl wanted me to put that in there.

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
:jester:

go hawks!!!! go cyclones!!!

take your girl to see the bridges of madison county. not talkin bout the movie, either.

i know its been slow. i been trying to get something goin again too. been dead since milk customers and sleeping with enemy threads.

lets email South Florida Lawns and pretend to be sean, again. that was fun.

J/K SFL!:waving:

Nathan 281
10-12-2005, 11:36 PM
i do a contract, with the fees broken down (ex/: 30 cuts @$30 =$900. fert program @$350, fcu@$400, etc) then i add it, and divide into 10 equal payments. NOW, in spite of this, the contract clearly states, " we are not responsible for missed cuts due to acts of god. acts of god are defined as- heat/drought conditions, rain, or anything that we have no control over. missed cuts will be strictly at our discretion, and refunds may, or may not be issued, at our discretion." i think this pretty much covers everything
Never tell your customer formula because if you provide less than what it says in the contract they want a refund. If I would have told everyone on my snow contracts that their price was based on 18 times when I was their 5 times they would have been:realmad:

Envy Lawn Service
10-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Never tell your customer formula because if you provide less than what it says in the contract they want a refund. If I would have told everyone on my snow contracts that their price was based on 18 times when I was their 5 times they would have been:realmad:

I have to agree with the above Bobby, and I'll elaborate in a minute..

But yeah... cut them some slack and this will happen every time. I haven't cut anyone any sort of break in years now because of this. I've learned my lessons. Even in severe drought, the bill is still the same and NEVER reduced. If it's really drawn out and gets to be a big problem... yeah I would do a small in-lieu work order to earn my keep, but more often I do a small renewal or project credit to only the very best customers and only after the season is totally complete for the year... In other words I'll give them a little credit towards renewal of the next season 'after' signing or a credit to help sell a project.

Now on to the elaboration from above... I only itemize what tasks are included in the seasonal agreement, not a price breakdown. I consecutive week service period from week ending to week ending... itemize the tasks I will be performing, set a maximum limitation number for each as well as a limitation to the number of visits per period... usually per week.

We went about 6 straight weeks or so without a drop of ran this year. Wanna know how many of mine that are on this program ever even said a word? The answer is 2. Both are ones that are always home and neither is full service. Plenty to do. So anyways, the one I explained the balancing out to, which was well taken and I haven't heard another word. The other, who is always giving me extra and has a ton of stuff that needs doing... well we are playing it by ear until the last leaf has been dealt with. We will likely be even at the end, and if not it's a good opportunity to upsell for next year...

bobbygedd
10-13-2005, 04:56 AM
absolutely agreed. some changes are being made next season. "per cut" billing will be eliminated. it will be changed to a monthly fee. also, packages will not be itemized, and no deductions

tfilbert
10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
On all our full service account I send out the invoice with the only price listed being Full Service Monthly: amount then list what was done that month.
1-1 Mow
1-7 Mow and fertilize
1-14 Apply Mulch
1-14 Mow
1-30 Full Service Monthly Charge: $150.00 or whatever it really is.
I have the actual hourly breakdown in my system but the customer will never see that. Offering full service has really helped us a lot in the past year and you would be surprised at the customers who only wanted weekly mowing when they first called jumped at full service. I always go 12 months and not 9. It lowers the overall monthly price and they really like the level billing. Plus if you collect a check for the first month when they sign, which I always do you are paid a month in advance before you cut the first blade of grass. Most of these ideas I got right here and thanks to those who have helped make me a bigger and more profitable LCO. Think big-get big. Think little-stay little. Remember the customer doesn't know what size your company is so act big even when your not. One man shows: Use words like we, us, our company. Sure you have an office and while it may be in the spare bedroom for now, they don't know that. When they call the office and Momma answers they don't need to know it's the Wife. Keep it that way and you will grow faster than you thought possible.
Tim