PDA

View Full Version : Loosening of Exmark new style blades.......

dvmcmrhp52
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Has any one else had any trouble with Exmark's new style blades coming loose while cutting?

This has happened twice now on an Exmark Lazer XS and is unique to the new style blades (Or the Lazer XS?) we've never had trouble with any of the others.........

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

EXspyguy
10-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Are you talking about the 3/4" headed bolts with the red blades (with splined adapters) or the 15/16" with black blades?

TLS
10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Still get frustrated that they changed something that WAS NOT BROKEN.

Mowers have been using 5/8" bolts to bolt on blades for .....well for quite a few decades before I was born. Why is it all of a sudden a problem that needs addressing?

Richard Martin
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Still get frustrated that they changed something that WAS NOT BROKEN.

Why is it all of a sudden a problem that needs addressing?

For the same reason that the Lazer Z replacement throttle cable moves in the opposite direction from the original (rabbit is now slow and turtle is now fast)...

For the same reason that you can buy spindle bearings for Exmark spindles at a Toro dealer but not at the Exmark dealer...

For the same reason that Exmark changed the Lazer Z spindle shaft diameters requiring the purchase of new pulley's when you have to buy a new spindle because Exmark doesn't sell the bearings (see above)...

For the same reason that Exmark considers "field testing" to be 2 reps taking the mower home and trying it on their own lawns (do they have Bahia and St. Augustine in Wisconsin?) and then declaring that the mower is ready for use by most people in most places.

dvmcmrhp52
10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Are you talking about the 3/4" headed bolts with the red blades (with splined adapters) or the 15/16" with black blades?

Red blades...............

dvmcmrhp52
10-12-2005, 06:27 PM
For the same reason that the Lazer Z replacement throttle cable moves in the opposite direction from the original (rabbit is now slow and turtle is now fast)...

For the same reason that you can buy spindle bearings for Exmark spindles at a Toro dealer but not at the Exmark dealer...

For the same reason that Exmark changed the Lazer Z spindle shaft diameters requiring the purchase of new pulley's when you have to buy a new spindle because Exmark doesn't sell the bearings (see above)...

For the same reason that Exmark considers "field testing" to be 2 reps taking the mower home and trying it on their own lawns (do they have Bahia and St. Augustine in Wisconsin?) and then declaring that the mower is ready for use by most people in most places.

I'm not trying to bash Exmark, I happen to like their products, however every now and then, As TLS has stated, it wasn't broken, so why was it fixed?

TLS
10-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Richard,

Sure your not talking about DC???

Most of the things you speak of are to better something....or make it stronger or last longer.

The new keyed spindle thingy on the new ones (along with other little things like DIESEL POWER..) are what may prevent me from becoming a repeat Exmark customer.

Richard Martin
10-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Richard,

Sure your not talking about DC???

Most of the things you speak of are to better something....or make it stronger or last longer.

Yes, I am sure I'm not talking about DC. Apparently Exmark thought the new spindle is better than the old one or does that only apply to the stuff I mentioned?

gumper48
10-12-2005, 10:33 PM
dv -
i have the xs with a "60 deck and have not had the blade loosen but one time sso far, have around 175 hrs on her.
but before the xs i used the lazer z with a "60 cut deck that had been replaced with the new style cutter housings and every time i hit an ant mound or some other simi soft something the bolt would losen and in some instances come completely off .
i like the not-so-tight after i hit something as opposed to having to get a piece of pipe to get the bolt loose. ya gotta just watch it after something gets hit.

gump

dvmcmrhp52
10-12-2005, 11:10 PM
dv -
i have the xs with a "60 deck and have not had the blade loosen but one time sso far, have around 175 hrs on her.
but before the xs i used the lazer z with a "60 cut deck that had been replaced with the new style cutter housings and every time i hit an ant mound or some other simi soft something the bolt would losen and in some instances come completely off .
i like the not-so-tight after i hit something as opposed to having to get a piece of pipe to get the bolt loose. ya gotta just watch it after something gets hit.

gump

There is something to not having to break a bolt head off after hitting something and having the blade tighten up, on the other hand having a blade come loose under any circumstances is not my idea of a good situation.

I'd rather have to cut a bolt off than have a blade come flying out from under a deck at an inopportune time.

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure it's due to the new design, as it has never happened on any others,and with only 350 hours on it it's lost 2 blades already. Not good.

TLS
10-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I never had a blade tighten and unable to remove it.....ever.

dvmcmrhp52
10-12-2005, 11:13 PM

I have to agree.

EXspyguy
10-13-2005, 09:14 AM
If you tourqe the bolts to the right specs it will not tighten or loosen any more.

lazer 46
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I've never had a blade bolt be so tight that I couldn't remove it with a braker bar or ratchet. i torqu all the bolts to the factory specs every time I change blades. As for blades comming lose, I hope it is just a freak thing. I have ordered a new 06 Lazer with the new deck and the different blades. I wish they had left the blades the way they were but it is not going to deter me from buying a new Lazer.

tacoma200
10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Exmark told me that they had not had any problems to speak of with the new blades coming loose. I use a torque wrench and set them at 60# and I have had no problem. The reason they gave me for the change was that after striking an object the old blades got so tight that they often had to be cut off with a torch. This system lets the blade slip instead of self tightening. They had done alot of research inserting metal bars into the blades at high speed and found that this system was better. They said that with the thousands of mowers rolling off the assembly line they have had very few complaints with the new style. I am just repeating what customer care told me....

dvmcmrhp52
10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Exmark told me that they had not had any problems to speak of with the new blades coming loose. I use a torque wrench and set them at 60# and I have had no problem. The reason they gave me for the change was that after striking an object the old blades got so tight that they often had to be cut off with a torch. This system lets the blade slip instead of self tightening. They had done alot of research inserting metal bars into the blades at high speed and found that this system was better. They said that with the thousands of mowers rolling off the assembly line they have had very few complaints with the new style. I am just repeating what customer care told me....

Thanks for the reply.
I doubt any major manufacturer is going to admit something of this nature, but it's good to hear their statements.

dvmcmrhp52
10-13-2005, 11:23 PM

TotalLawnConcepts
10-14-2005, 12:28 AM
What has happend to Exmark......????

I just purchased 2 new ones last year 52" Turf Tracer w/ecs... After 1 hour of mow they both where in the shop for repairs...

They have been in the shop at least 8-10 times since that for other repairs...

I love my exmark, they have the best cut on th mark, and the best grips on the market. I just hope they can work out all of the bugs before they loose all of their customers to other companys...

The dealer I use said that ever since they merged with Toro and they started running the exmark and toro's off of the same assembly line, they have had nothing but trouble, but dont' know how true that is...

topsites
10-14-2005, 12:44 AM

I did, once...
Caught my own 10-tine pitchfork in the middle blade, it stopped the blade while the belt, engaged, kept torquing it even thou it was slipping and smoking, that 15hp Kohler put a serious twang on that belt. I shut it off immediately but by then it had made more than a few revolutions, the bolt wasn't spinning, but the pulley was...
It was a mutha to get it off, ended up replacing the bolt later as it was partly stripped, too.

So what the other guy said about them not torquing themselves but spinning instead when inserting a metal object does make sense... Still, lol !
I mean, just how OFTEN do you insert a metal object / gets inserted that stops your blade cold? In the end the above situation was my own d@mn fault and I certainly had no real problem with the design because of it.

TLS
10-14-2005, 09:41 AM
I'd be real upset if I had a LOT of blades and traded for another Lazer that I couldn't use these blades on.

When they went from a 1/2" center hole to a 5/8" center hole, it was for STRENGTH purposes. And like I said, lawnmowers have been using bolts through the center hole since....forever with no problems.

Just baffles me the direction eXmark is going these days.