PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor mows lawns

gglawns
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
I show up to 3 of my accounts today that are all right in a row. Turns out the neighbor across the street mowed two of them the day before with his homeowner z. He cut them so short that it scalped everywhere there was a bump and he left mud tracks all over the driveway. So when I show up the clients say oh it doesn't need cut this week so and so cut it. What would you do?

newz7151
10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I show up to 3 of my accounts today that are all right in a row. Turns out the neighbor across the street mowed two of them the day before with his homeowner z. He cut them so short that it scalped everywhere there was a bump and he left mud tracks all over the driveway. So when I show up the clients say oh it doesn't need cut this week so and so cut it. What would you do?

Tell em to enjoy their new lawn service.

gorknoids
10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Bill them.

Cigarcop
10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I agree that you should bill them because they should have contacted you and advised the lawn had been cut by them or someone else. You drove out there now they MUST pay.

TURFLORD
10-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Go put a beat-down on the neighbor.

procut
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I had a neighbor mow one of my accounts once. I mowed it anyways, and billed the normal amount. Never recieved any complaints.

rodfather
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Exactly what I was thinking...I would be pissed off big time.

befnme
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
if it was me i would take them the copy of their contract with me and remind them of number 16.

16.If contractor arrives at customerís property to service lawn, but work is not needed due to service being performed by party other than contractor, this service agreement will be cancelled. Contractor will then charge customer regular service charge for work contractor arrived to do.

wowlawncare
10-12-2005, 05:22 PM

EXACTLY. and walk away with a smile and go get another yard.

Sir mowsalot
10-12-2005, 05:24 PM
^5 brother. right answer

Brianslawn
10-12-2005, 06:59 PM
bill them for a service call and drop them. then go tap on neighbors door with bobbys shovel...:nono:

HOOLIE
10-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Most likely, I would let it slide, this one time, with a warning...next time they get charged full price. Some customers just don't "get it", that we're providing a service, not just trolling around like the ice cream man.

daveintoledo
10-12-2005, 08:03 PM
get the check, and then tell then to enjoy there now lawn service...and if they call back, raise the price really high

Maitland Man
10-12-2005, 08:08 PM
then send them their regularly MONTHLY rate bill as usual. Less work for me....same pay.payup

Dennis

nobagger
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Bill them.
Hell Yeah!! bill them if they are under a contract they should have a clue as to why they are. How stupid can people be? Well pretty stupid apperently. I would ask them what were you thinking. I am usually a pretty layed back kinda guy but I've had to tell people whats what this season and they seem to respond better to a person who is kinda a pr!ck then a nice guy. So that will be my attitude next year.

Guthrie&Co
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
I would go have a pow wow with the neighbor and the homeowner

Jpocket
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM

I would tell them that this is unaceptable. and that Either you cut it on a regular basis or not at all. No frebees from the silly neighbor

Runner
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Exactly. I used these words before- I've told them "This chef does NOT share the kitchen with anyone else...let alone short order cooks!"
I would then go and talk to the neighbor. I would say first of all, thank you for making me look bad, but most of all, thank you for taking $60 worth of food out of my families' mouth. This is what I do for a living to feed my family,...what do YOU do!!!

lawnwizards
10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
you know, sometimes the neighbor thinks they are doing their neighbor a favor by cutting their lawn. secondly, the customer didn't ask for it to happen, the neighbor just took the initiative to do it. my solution: I'd politely talk to the neighbor that they aren't doing their neighbor any favors because they still get billed for the lawn. then i'd talk to my customer and tell them that they need to get things under control and kindly tell the neighbor to mind his own fu*king business.....

JMB
10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
if it was me i would take them the copy of their contract with me and remind them of number 16.

16.If contractor arrives at customerís property to service lawn, but work is not needed due to service being performed by party other than contractor, this service agreement will be cancelled. Contractor will then charge customer regular service charge for work contractor arrived to do.

Exactly what I would do! I don't even care if it is mowed, If the customer cancels after I have made the trip, they get billed.

DistLawns
10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
I think theres a couple of options, if this is the first time its happened, and there typicaly good customers, I would explain sternly that they are taking away from a business I support my family with,and that it can't happen again without without them getting charged, or if they do it every now and then and dont seem to care, bill em and can em.

mow king
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I've had that happen once, I mowed it as if no one else had mowed it, charged them full price......never received a complaint.

geogunn
10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I had something like that happen to me with one of my original little old lady customers recently....

a neighbor took over the mowing.

she then called me for something else...and it would have took about 15 minutes.

the price to the former mowing customer for 15 minutes...$100.00.

I am still waiting for a call back.

GEO :)

pcguy
10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I had that happen once, neighbor only cut the front however. I charged the woman 1/2 price, and politely told the neighbor I'd come get the rest of the money from him if he ever did that again. He didn't do it again.

cantoo
10-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Drop your deck to the lowest setting, don't turn on the blades then stripe the lawn in the opposite direction to his cut. Blow off concrete, trim or whatever you normally do and bill as normal.

WarEagleCRL
10-13-2005, 01:40 AM
your customers probably didnt ask for their yard to be cut by the neighbor, so dont drop them, that just loses even more $$. the neighbor was just excited about his new mower and thought he was doing a favor...its his fault not theirs. This happened to me 2 times, different customers, different neighbors. Both times left the neighbor a dirty letter (your taking $$ out of my pocket, i'm not doing this for fun, etc.) and spoke to one face to face. I skipped the first customer, and I cut the second anyway since neighbor gave them the 'ole homeowner special' (uneven deck and round and round we go).
The most recent was 3 years ago and I still have the customer, who has since added a rental house and 6 car washes that i also cut...good thing I didnt drop them!!

roscioli
10-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Most likely, I would let it slide, this one time, with a warning...next time they get charged full price. Some customers just don't "get it", that we're providing a service, not just trolling around like the ice cream man.
exactly... you other guys are crazy to be so harsh.. thats a good way to lose someone who may have been a great customer

JimLewis
10-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Plain and simple - these aren't the kind of clients you are looking for. Tell them whatever you want, but drop them for good.

The kind of clients you want are the ones who wouldn't dare let someone else touch their lawn other than you. They want and expect their lawn to be maintained by a professional. And if a neighbor comes over and offers to mow they politely decline and say, "No thanks. We already have a service. And they do a great job." This kind of client says no for two reasons - out of a desire for professional work and out of loyalty to you. That's the kind of client you should be working for.

The kind of client you are referring to are doing you a favor by letting you know what kind of people they are. Let them go. And go find yourself some clients like the ones I described. There are PLENTY out there.

WarEagleCRL
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
The neighbor didnt ask my customers he just mowed it, they werent even home

MarcSmith
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I would not waste your time talking to the neighbor....He has no obligations to you or your business. Maybe its a one time deal, maybe its the start of a new "competitor" in either case I would make a phone call to each customer letting them know that you were not the one to scalp their lawn, but you did string trim and blow everything off and send them a bill for the applicable amount owed. If they decide to cancel service then fine....Be the bigger/better person here. I never understood why people are so quick to kick customers to the curb....I could undsertand if they are deadbeat payers, or just too demanding...