PDA

View Full Version : Timber wall

kemmer
10-12-2005, 06:07 PM
A customer wants me to build something to contain the wood chips, She was thinking about a timber wall, only about 1ft high, i was thinking mabye railroad ties or just like 6 x 6's and put like rebar or something like that to go through the asphalt.

any other ideas?
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42426&d=1128028276

LB1234
10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
(1) block

(2) rework slope and install groundcover (pachysandra?)

(3) Keep slope and install 3/4 red stone (I don't think pebble (i.e. round stone) would work cause it would slide a little more).

(4) Depending how neat you want it rebar a few old telephone poles into the ground. It'll hold for a number of years.

kemmer
10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
I was looking to do something like this
http://www.kandslandscape.com/f1after.jpg

IM going to look at it more tomorrow, i need to see if i need to take up some of the pavement before so i can go into the soil and so its level.

op4_camper
10-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Why not block with the holding trax to keep it in place if some one hits it with there tires.

Frontier-Lawn
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
i would stack it 3 high on the railroad ties. and drill holes and bang in rebar. i think it would work better and be cheaper.

kemmer
10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
I need to go look, but i need to see where the pavement ends and where the dirt ground starts. if it doesnt end, should i brake up the pavement to get a level surface? also should i use galvinized stakes or rebar, would rebar bend from banging it throught the ground?

PurpHaze
10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
I need to go look, but i need to see where the pavement ends and where the dirt ground starts. if it doesnt end, should i brake up the pavement to get a level surface? also should i use galvinized stakes or rebar, would rebar bend from banging it throught the ground?

Rebar comes in different thicknesses (diameters). You can get some that's very thick.

Frontier-Lawn
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
youll need a drill bit like this too http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=157839-72068-30923&lpage=none

and as for the rebar i would use 1/2"

kemmer
10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Have a bit of a dilemma, the pavement doesnt end near the end of the wood chips. I need to ask the customer, but what would be better and most effective. I could just nail through the pavement, but have gaps underneath. Or i could rip up the pavement and make it level, which would be more work.

Dreams To Designs
10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
How about a saw cut to get a clean edge. How tall does this retaining wall need to be? Can you get a way with concrete curb stones, like EP Henry makes, or maybe a small retaining wall for a more permanent solution?

Kirk

NNJLandman
10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
I would try to install some type of curb and then mound the wood chips. I wouldnt. Come winter your gonna wanna push snow that way to get it away from the building and youll never get it up over a wall and threw the fence with a wall there. Go with a versa-lok retaining wall system 2 or 3 rows.

Jeff

sheshovel
10-16-2005, 08:30 PM
The pavement will end,dig the slope back intell it does.Then install,pressure treated landscape logs,w/rebar through or Versalock blocks or RR ties any of them will work but you do need to dig back that whole length to get a fairly level surface and no matter what material you decide to use,put drainage behind it.You are installing a retaining wall not an edge.

jblawns123
10-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Curious, how did you find that timberwall pic in the link you posted. Search engine?

kemmer
10-16-2005, 09:19 PM
I need drainage??

I found the pic on a site a while ago, ks landscaping, hes a member here.

NNJLandman
10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Looking at this picture again, I've noticed there seems to already be a asphalt curb in place? If so why not jus get rid of all that debris like you originally said throw in some nice mulch, maybe a couple of shrubs.

Jeff

kemmer
10-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Na theres only 1 telephone pole laying on its side, plus, it all decaying and soft. She doesnt want any mulch, she just wants the wood chips. Im dropping off the estimate tomorrow, will see what happens, ill probly do it friday or saturday...ill take pics