PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about a 23hp 60" Exmark???

buttaluv
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm about to demo one, he told me $7769.00, 23 hp Kohler 60" cut.... honestly I was looking for a little more hp and a Kawi motor, but the price sounds pretty good. Does anybody have one of these units? tell me what you think?

Envy Lawn Service
10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
You have to step down to the Lazer HP to get a Kawi on an eXmark.

As for the 23/60... you should be able to do better than that, even if it isn't the Lazer AS. A 23hp Kohler is pretty weak for a 60"... especially at that price. I have a 25 Kawi on a 60" and would not want less.

It seems like this time of year every dealer has the same 3 or 4 of these that they bought at last purchasing, but never sold. I'm told that most of these sell for single use applications, like churches, on-site grounds keeping, personal acreage, ect....

So lets put it this way, I would rather have a regular lazer 23/60 than a lazer HP 23/52".... but I wouldn't turn away from the 27/60 over a few hundred dollars either....

ltlm
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
get a diesel 27hp. i have 2 one is a 60in and 72in.

kc2006
10-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't go that low of hp with a 60". I demo'd a 52" toro with 23 hp and it bogged when I'd give it full speed mowing light grass.

The 60" I'm going to get will have a 27hp, or more..maybe

tacoma200
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
I mowed one summer with a 23/60 lazer with no problems on normal grass. I now run a 27/60 lazer and the only difference is in heavy growth where of course you have to go slower with the 23 hp. If you mow your lots once a week the 23 will do fine but it will strain it on lots that are not mowed regularly. But on the other hand if in doubt go to the bigger engine. I have never heard of anyone wishing they had gotten a smaller engine but plenty of people that wish they had gotten a bigger one. By the way I gave $8100 for my 05 Lazer Z with the 27 hp Kohler but it took some talking. Good luck.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I have a 23 kaw. on my deere with the 60" deck and it will cut anything fine until I put on the mulching kit, then I wished I had more hp. Like the above poster said, get the biggest engine you can afford. My Exmark has the 27 kohler and it is actually weaker in power than my 23 kaw. is in tall thick grass.

JKOOPERS
10-13-2005, 12:57 AM
i have the excat same mower but with a 23 kaw. by far the best mower out on the market. those Zs cant cut all the hills and you can take it places you cant take a Z. i havent been able to bog down this machine in the 1.5 years i have had it cutting weekly. i now have 535 hours on it and i have not replaced anything , just the regular maintenance stuff. (oil blades and filters)the price you got quoted seems a little high .

Jpocket
10-13-2005, 10:25 AM
You have to step down to the Lazer HP to get a Kawi on an eXmark.

As for the 23/60... you should be able to do better than that, even if it isn't the Lazer AS. A 23hp Kohler is pretty weak for a 60"... especially at that price. I have a 25 Kawi on a 60" and would not want less.

It seems like this time of year every dealer has the same 3 or 4 of these that they bought at last purchasing, but never sold. I'm told that most of these sell for single use applications, like churches, on-site grounds keeping, personal acreage, ect....

So lets put it this way, I would rather have a regular lazer 23/60 than a lazer HP 23/52".... but I wouldn't turn away from the 27/60 over a few hundred dollars either....
Your quite wrong we have a 60" w/23 Kohler and it has plenty of power, it may bog alittle in overgrown turf but other than that you really ain't gonna miss that extra2 - 4 horsepower. In fact the "Old lazers" came with a 22hp 60" deck combo, I have on of those two and again under normal weekly cutting conditions you'll never miss it.

palm boy
10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
sounds like a decent price. However, as already posted you need to understand if you go with this that on thick grass you will have to slow down. I know this because I run a 23hp on a 60" Ransomes, but it is a Diesel Mitsubishi. If you keep blades sharp and stay on top of your accounts however, you should be ok. You are doing good w/ the Kohler. I personally would go with it over the kawi. Nothing against kawi, but this is from personal experience and the majority around here go with kohler on the bigger engines over 12-15 hp. I have heard of alot of cases down here where the bigger kawi's have overheated. This are engines that are run hard in thick grass w/ the heat down here. My 2 cents - good luck!

LB1234
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I have a 60" mower (altohugh SCAG) with the 29HP DFI/LC kawi. With the bagger on going up a good incline the does slow down significantly. Cuts till good just can't go that fast. I demoed a TORO 60" with the 27 kohler before I bought the SCAG. It was a nice machine...not many/if any complaints about it (search and you'll find my thread). Although, I couldn't picture what would happen going up the inclines with only a 23HP.

I would ask yourself if you plan on placing a bagger on it, for fall cleanups and the like, or if you have some pretty good hills you need to tackle. It could possibly have a problem in wet, tall grassy conditions...like we will have here next week in jersey.

Cigarcop
10-13-2005, 12:18 PM
I have the same Lazer Z 60" with the 23 Kaw on it, its does fine unless I'm in some thick grass at which point you gotta slow down.