PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Lesco/Cub Safety Notice!!!!

Envy Lawn Service
10-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Before you use your Lesco/Cub ZTR or floating deck walkbehind again, please take a moment to do the following inspection...

Look at the top of all 3 spindle thru-bolts... paying close attention to the one on the center spindle.

Inspect the thin washer just under it for any markings indicating that the thru-bolt has spun and scored the washer.

I had this happen to me. I almost lost my center blade twice yesterday. I heard a funny noise when engaging the blades that tipped me to this. What was happening the the thru-bolt/blade bolt was working loose during normal operation and/or stopping the blades. So when starting the blades up, the top deck drive pulley would free spin a second, spin the bolt back tight, then catch and engage the deck.

Had it not been for this I would have already lost a blade. I think the difference that made this surface both times was extended 'engaged' run times, which extended the time between self-tightening at engagement....

I had been wondering why that bolt always required a breaker-pipe to remove the blade. Now I know.

Anyways, I think I have located the issue, and it is something very minor and simple. But I do not want to go running off at the mouth on a public forum before being 100% certain.

However, if any of you witness this on your machine, PM me and I will tell you what to look for.... for the time being....

Envy Lawn Service
10-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Sorry, this is a safety thing.... just want to be sure it is seen.... so.... BUMP!

Envy Lawn Service
10-14-2005, 12:27 AM
At the time of this post, this thread has had 40 views and 0 replies.
So I have no way of knowing if any owners actually this or not.
Also, hopefully no one else will encounter this...

But I feel it's important enough to bump again.

So if you have one and read this, let me know it.....

LawnBoy89
10-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Hmm. I don't have a Lesco but I'm looking into buying one thanks for the info, if that blade every came lose it would have done alot of damage, hopefully only to the mower.

Envy Lawn Service
10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Yeah, could have been a bad situation.
That's why I thought I'd put the word out just to be on the safe side.

Mine could well be an isolated case, and from what I 'think' it is, it could be, as this is a very very simple thing I suspect is the culprit. I sure hope so anyways.

wriken
10-14-2005, 08:02 AM
I have'nt had any problems yet, hopefully never will. I did hear of a person running an exmark loose a blade once and almost hit his co-worker.

KINGjosh
10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I will check mine the next time I change my blades. Your talking about the little spacer on the top of the spindle right?

Envy Lawn Service
10-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I will check mine the next time I change my blades. Your talking about the little spacer on the top of the spindle right?

No, just lift the foot plate and the side belt covers to see the top pulley.

Here, I took this pic to send Lesco to show them the person who greased the spindles at setup allowed the belt to slip off the tension idler and become improperly routed... but you can see here where you need to look.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39928&stc=1&d=1121489605

See the washer under the thru-bolt with the 'T' written on it?
Notice how there is no sign of 'scoring' from that bolt turning?
That's what it should look like.
If you see any scoring here let me know.