PDA

View Full Version : POLL : Allan block or Versa-Lok ?

neversatisfiedj
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
:pumpkin: Head to head competition !

DVS Hardscaper
10-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Neither.

Cornerstone all the way.

neversatisfiedj
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
DVS nice pics of that pool job. A+ ! What is the cost of Cornerstone ? I have found A/B and versa-lok to be the most economical.

DVS Hardscaper
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks for the compliment!

The Cornerstone is $5.06 / block, which 1 block is 1 sf.

Manufactured by York Building Products.

See, I never gave a RATS A$@ about block. To me block was block. Some are heavy and some are......heavy.

Then I attended a seminar last winter and the creator of Cornerstone (Vern)was there speaking. And let me tell you, he was VERY VERY interestering to listen to. the guy is super super smart. And very down to earth. His level of knowledge, intelligence and creativity is just unbelievable.

See, he has a large company that builds walls. So he took his field experience and developed a block, which he sells manufacturing rights to.

cedarcroft
10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
how are the cornerstone blocks for VERY large structural retaining walls? I checked out there website and they said the 200 series was good for walls over 6 ft but I was wondering if they are OK for 15-20' walls. any experience w/ that?

RedWingsDet
10-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I love alanblock, but I dont like the caps that much

Guthrie&Co
10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
belgard walls! i think they look a bit better. but then again i dont know the full product lines from either

neversatisfiedj
10-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Very good. 5 bucks a block is where I like to be. The customers I have had this year all like to stay in a certain range. I could care less either but Allan Block and Versa-lok are in the same price range , and now I've learned that cornerstone is in that range as well. DVS where do you get your block ? I am doind a wall in 3 weeks and may try cornerstone.

UNISCAPER
10-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Keystone. That's all you need to remember.

DVS Hardscaper
10-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Cornerstone can be used for ANY height. 50 feet high - No problem. Just engineering needs to be done.

Belgard's materials (celtik. Which we use on almost all our patio jobs) are only good for up to 30-inches. Celtik is for architectural applications.

Never Satisified: Cornerstone is manufactured in Frederick by York Building Products. You can buy it from them and they will deliver. They even have a few blended colors. They can sell you the caps, glue, and grid too.

Cornerstone uses no clips or pins. The cores are hollow and you fill them with 3/4 inch gravel as you build the wall. Cornerstone is also a little lighter in weight due to the hollow cores.

neversatisfiedj
10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Great info ! I will most certainly use the product. Always like trying new products. Versa-lok is cheap but it adds up when you have to spend .25 per pin.

UNISCAPER
10-14-2005, 10:23 AM
As is Keystone, but give me a pinned system any day of the wwek over a channeled or friction system connection. It's not cheap when the blocks slide out from the grid and the wall fails.

neversatisfiedj
10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Plus with the channel lip system , I have had alot of problems with concrete overrun on the bottoms. Never with a pinned system.

UNISCAPER
10-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Yup.

Channeled systems work for walls under 3'. the only thing I have to say is with the larger Unilock systems, Dura Hold and Siena Stone, on straight runs they work well for higher applications, and on waterfront projects.

there is a new stone out here called Redi Rock. It is 24"x24"x48", has a hammered stone face and uses two half grapefruit sized kknobs to lock together. They are easier running a slight radius with than a channel, and with soils that have a 28° stacking angle and mpoisture retention factor under 27, you can stack 15' high with no strata grid. We use them in highway/slope failure situations and set them on a 15° batter. San Francisco is considering them on some highway bridge abutment projects because of their mass.

Dreams To Designs
10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Techo-Blok, many different styles and colors and quick and simple to install. Maybe not in everyone's area yet, but check them out.

Kirk

DVS Hardscaper
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually pins do not safegaurd aganist the wall blowing out.

I have seen a few pinned walls....with broken pins :)

UNISCAPER
10-14-2005, 11:02 PM
True, but, they hold grid between the layers. Friction block, or channeled block is more likely to push it's way off the grid.