PDA

View Full Version : not a mason...NEED HELP!!!

cedarcroft
10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Hello all, I do alot of rock walls and retaining walls etc but I have never done a patio. I have a customer that I am doing a decorative wall using Nicolock colonial wall stone and caps. the problem is that they have a HUGE patio that is about 2 years old and the edges are collapsing and cracking at the mortar. the patio is about 4000sq ft and is made of interlocking pavers. the field is OK, just the edges need to be re-done. is there anyone who can help me out with the best solution to fix this problem?

neversatisfiedj
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
That is a nice looking product. Haven't use it yet.

UNISCAPER
10-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Cedar:

Sounds to me like the edge restraint system is either failing, or not ever installed.

We wet set our borders in mortar, but when we wereback east we used snap edge. You basically need an extra foot of patio base around the patios edges, compacted prperly. then just tighten up the pattern, push the Snap edge against the pavers, and nail it into the gravel. Ifyou prefer moratered boarders, pull the pavers, mix up a 1' wide by 6" deep load of mud and wet set the pavers into it. You can if you want to, butter the paver backs with thin set then slam them into the regular mortar.

cedarcroft
10-15-2005, 09:10 PM
thanks alot for the answer I was looking for. that is what I will do.

cgland
10-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Redoing the base and shoulder and using Snap Edge is the way to go. With the freeze/thaw the mortar bed will eventually crack or heave away from the field. The mortar application Bill uses works well in warmer climates, but not up here.

Chris