PDA

View Full Version : Best border trees?

nbrockb
10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I was concerned with what kind of trees to plant for quick growth, and to border off a subdivision. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks,
Brock

omnilp
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
What kind of soil, drainage, exposure? Most trees that grow quick don't last too long.

jbell113
10-13-2005, 04:05 PM
An auss tree hybrid will grow faster than any thing. Have to order them online.

nbrockb
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I've got pretty good soil to plant in although some places do have rocky soil. Full sun. The customer wants a quick wall barrier and not a Christmas Tree look but evergreen. I was thinking maybe a Leland Cypress (Which does give a Christmas Tree look) or Thuja Green Giant. I will look up the auss tree hybrid. Thanks! Any pics of jobs would be greatly appreciated.
Brock

Gilla Gorilla
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
If your decision comes down to the Leyland or Green Giant then I would go with the Green Giants 10 times out of 10. The GG's dont have the bag worm problems that the Lelands do. My neighbor has 39 Leylands around his backyard as a border that he planted 5 years ago when he just moved in and they were only 2' tall at the time. Now 5 years later some just barely come up to the top of his 6' tall privacy fence and others are standing over 14 foot tall. The worst part for him is that this season the bag worms hit him really hard and took out 8 of the mid to taller Leylands and now looks like crap. Escpecially for me since I can see the dead ones rite out my back door. LOL

The Leylands in my area seems to generally be $20 to $30 dollars more compared to the same sized Green Giants.

I deal with a wholesale nursery and I got a 6-7' Leyland earlier this year from him at $60.00 but can get 7-8' Green Giants all day from the same guy for $65. I got a hell of a deal on 9-10' from him 3 weeks ago because he wanted to move them, $70 bucks for 14 9-10' Green Giants and they look awsome now that they are in the ground.

nbrockb
10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks Justin

nbrockb
10-13-2005, 10:38 PM
If I don't go with the Thuja Green Giant. What is another great border tree that does not grow in the Christmas tree shape? Fast growing, 25'-45' tall.
Any replies would be helpful.
Thanks
brock

Gilla Gorilla
10-13-2005, 10:41 PM
I really cant think of any others now. But the Green Giants are my quick evergreen screen tree of choice for now. I've put 74 in on three different properties in less then a year.

GarPA
10-14-2005, 02:35 AM
leyland cypress would be my choice hands down

Green-Pro
10-14-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm using White Pine and Alberta Spruce here for a customer in a new construction. Alternate pine and spruce, both fast growing.

Dreams To Designs
10-14-2005, 10:13 AM
The key would be to mix up the planting for your screen so a disease or insect does not destroy the whole screen. A mix of Leylands and Arborvitaes may be the key to success. Leylands won't really grow into that pyramidal christmas tree shape, and if you put them close enough together, they will intertwine and create a very dense year round screen The Arbs on the other hand offer a completely different look, being more soldier like and formal. Check on all the site conditions and let us know and we can be better able to offer suggestions.

Kirk