PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Seeders

DUSTYCEDAR
10-13-2005, 08:47 PM
who has 1 and what make and size did u get?
would u buy that type again?
how has this season been for getting new work for the machine keeping busy or just sitting around?

SodKing
11-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Bought the first one in 1996 and did about 1 million sq ft that year and the same next year. Now everyone owns them and the thing sits idle most of the time though I don't promote it much. I helped my brother get started this year and he is doing well with his new machine.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-08-2005, 07:09 PM
what machine do u use?

muddstopper
11-08-2005, 07:10 PM
First machine was a 500 gal jet machine, it paid for a larger 1000 gal Bowie as well as a 600 gal Finn, and the trucks they are mounted on. Would I buy a jet machine again, probably not but not because you cant grow grass with one. Its a matter of productivity for me. Hydroseeding is all we do and My 600 gal Finn mounted on a 4500 Duramax is more productive than the larger 1000 gal machine that is also mounted on a 2 ton truck. Of couse there are time the larger machine works better but I havent even cranked it up since July simply because of the terrain we have been seeding. I can get the smaller machine into places the larger one just shouldnt go. As far as brand names, most mechanical agitated machines perform about the same. Some have different options and might have different type pumps but most manufacturers will sell the type of pump you want. Personally, I dont like any of the machines on the market any better than the others. I will build my own machine when I am ready to replace what I already have.

TurboTurf is now making a 500 gal mechanical agitated machine with a plastic tank instead of the heavier, more expensive metal tanks. I got the chance to see one a couple of weeks ago and really like what I saw. Bowie gear pump so it should work great even with BFM's. Good price for a new machine too. I think it will make a great first machine for someone just getting into hydroseeding. I also got a look at what they have planned for another prototype machine, Cant spill the beans here, but its a dandy.

SodKing
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
We have 2 turbo turf 500 gallon w/Jet agitation. I would disagree that you can't grow grass with it we do just fine. We use the 50/50 corn blend from Lesco as a mulch and it has great results.

Saying that a mechanical Finn or EasyLawn would be my machine of choice were I to buy one now.

muddstopper
11-08-2005, 09:16 PM
We have 2 turbo turf 500 gallon w/Jet agitation. I would disagree that you can't grow grass with it we do just fine. We use the 50/50 corn blend from Lesco as a mulch and it has great results.

Saying that a mechanical Finn or EasyLawn would be my machine of choice were I to buy one now.

I think you misread my post, I didnt say you couldnt grow grass with a jet machine. I said my reason for not choosing another jet machine was not because you couldnt grow grass with one, meaning that you can grow grass with one, its just that for the type of seeding I do, a jet machine isnt as efficient as my mechanical machines. I pump 600 gals of slurry every 30 min with the aid of a nurse tank almost everyday. The nurse tank is mounted on a seperate truck and is used to hual water to the hydroseeder instead of taking the hydroseeder to water. I use thicker slurries than you might have to on a lawn because I am mostly seeding road banks with slopes. The mechanical machines are more efficient if you need a thicker slurry because of the paddle agitation. When I started hydroseeding with the jet machine I was doing mostly lawns and the machine worked just fine. The machine paid for itself in about 5 weeks. I will say that the jet machines you use are much better peices of equipment than the jet machine I had. Not all jet machines are equal. I do feel that jet machines are probably not the best choice of hydroseeders for certain areas of the country simply because of the limitations on mulch types that the machine will mix efficiently. With that said, if one is blowing straw as a mulch then I absolutly see no reason to own a mechanical agitated machine. I use straw and hydromulch, depending on the job conditions and time of the year.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I also got a look at what they have planned for another prototype machine, Cant spill the beans here, but its a dandy
that is why i keep waiting to get a seeder it seemes something is always comming out that is better

impactlandscaping
11-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Dusty, most of the machines are very similar in function, it's the mulches, tacks , seed blends, live bacterias, etc., that keep getting better. The guys at Turbo Turf are definitely onto something with the hybrid machine, though.