View Full Version : Can we help answer any questions about H2B?

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-07-2005, 07:38 PM
We would be please to try and answer or assist with questions about H2B.

10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Never needed H2B yet but what is the process to getting them. How early should you apply, how much does it cost, does the lco pay Workman's comp even though they are not from USA, what happens if the h2b doesn't like lawn work and quits do you get another person free of charge, etc.

Since they are not from USA I assume you don't pay 7.5% social security to federal government and their 7.5% social security from the h2b persons check.

Howard Roark
10-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I'll be the first with a question.

First off, welcome.

I keep reading about such a shortage of these employees to our market. What information can you give regarding this?

Also what advice would you give to lawnsite members who wish to obtain these employees for next year, as I did read on your website about a 4 month time frame?

Another great post from you would be some general information, not about what you do, but more importantly about the process of obtaining employees (I.E. timelines, costs, quality of the worker, they're housing...etc.) and what exactly to expect once they get here.

Thanks much!

10-08-2005, 12:59 PM
whats the costs look like?

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you.
There is a huge shortage of willing eager workers in the USA. It is extremely difficult to obtain season labor. Most people are not willing to take a job for a limited time. In foreign countries there are many many people who want to work and need to work. Because of political, economic reasons there are not enough jobs to be had there. Most are young, head of household and there is no way for them to come here legally. The H2B guest worker program will provide them with a USA work visa. They can only work in seasonal businesses i.e. landscape, hotels, resorts and the like. Upon their arrival they can get a social security card and be put on your payroll as your legal workers. They PAY taxes. They DO NOT TAKE JOBS AWAY FROM AMERICANS. You can only be granted the people after you have completed a job search for Americans first. If an American wants the job you must hire him first !
The process is complecated and takes about 4 months. The costs: We charge a processing fee to the employers as low as $100 per person for 10 or more. Inaddition, the employer must pay for an ad placed in the local newspaper for 3 days looking for Americans to fill the job. There is a filing fee to the USCIS (formally the name of the INS). $1185 per application. This fee is not for each person it is for the group.
Recap. if you wanted 10 men it would be10 x 100 =$1000
USCIS 1185
Plus the newspaper ad
so total $2185 plus ad.
Other lawyers, recruiters fees vary but are usually much higher than ours. We have been associated with the green industry for a long time and understand your needs. We know that it is not reasonable to ask for say $5000 up front to get a group of men that you do not know about. We therefor ask the candidate to pay a small fee to get a job and a visa to work in the USA. This way only serious people apply and they have a vested interest in doing a good job. If they do they can come back year after year. At the end of their 9 or 10 month visa they must go back to their home country. You can only have them for your peak season. This is another advantage no layoffs.. spring you get the same people back.
Housing.. you are not required to house them. but they are coming from a foreign country and know nothing about your area. We need you to help them find a place to stay. They will share space and they want to stay as cheaply as possible. They are here to send money home.
Quality.. most are great and I mean they will make your life a dream. Some are worthless and you fire them as you would with any other dead beat.
Since they invested in this I think most really try hard.
I will give you more info please look at our website Q & A .
Marcus Drake

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-09-2005, 11:56 AM
All legal workers must be covered by workmans compensation. They must get a Social Security card but the do not contribute since they will never collect. They are by definition seasonal temporary workers. If you don't like them fire them like any other worker.
Marcus Drake

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
If you guys would like to get qualified seasonal workers for the spring it is time to begin the filing now.
We have great guys to work in the green industry especially lawn and tree care, hardscape or where labor is needed.. reliable , hardworking, People that want to work !
Please contact Marcus Drake Consultants for the details. We make the process very easy.
Marcus Drake

10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
How about licenses to drive?

10-14-2005, 12:11 AM
do you still have to place the add in paper if you had one past 2 years and cant find anyone else to work for more than a day. and when you do place add and americans call... but only last a day if they even show up, do you have to replace add? can you interview americans and decide they are not qualified and go direct to h2b? if you fire h2b, do we get a new one at no additional charge?

10-14-2005, 12:49 AM
thats great sending more money out of the us . :angry: :angry:

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Remember, they are from foreign countries and they might have a Mexican license for example but not one from your state. There have been some resent changes please check with your DMV to see if they can get a license. Some just require that they have a Social Security number, which they will have.

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry , you still must place the ad. We write it for you. The ad must be an approved ad containing specific info. You are required to offer the jobs to Americans first. We can assist you in the interview process. Remember, most people are not willing to wait until the job is open and then take a temporary job.

10-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Can I house them in my rental unit and charge them the going rate? If they don't drive can they be charged to be picked up and dropped off? What about transportation for grocery etc. it seems that a person could offset labor cost considerably if they were allowed to charge what normally would be considered as mandatory to be employable.

10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
instead of someone paying 2100 to get workers, why not just buy a plane ticket for 500 to mexico, use 1000 for a weeks room hotel and food, and use it for a vaction and recruit workers, then once they get here to the US, you FORCE them to get the papers and become a us citizen. at least thats they way I see it... but if one doesnt have time to recruit, then I guess its MarcusDrake all the way.

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, you can charge them. Under the terms of this visa you do not have to supply living quarters. They want to share a space and stay as cheaply as they can however. You do not have to feed them either. They will require help in finding a place to stay since most have never been here before.

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 09:55 PM
There is no way for them to leave their home country legally. They must have an employer sponsor them. That is promise to employ them for up to 10 months. This is why the program is so good. You only take them for the time you need them. They go home and come back the next season. You get guys you know with experience.

10-14-2005, 09:58 PM
There is no way for them to leave their home country legally. They must have an employer sponsor them. That is promise to employ them for up to 10 months. This is why the program is so good. You only take them for the time you need them. They go home and come back the next season. You get guys you know with experience.

right on. I was just wondering. thanks for clearing it up!

landcare pa
10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
how do i extend the 3 guys that want to stay on there visa`s till next year?

landcare pa
10-14-2005, 10:05 PM
noel is the best in the business, he doe`s do what he says he is going to do!

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 10:09 PM
They have made it very difficult this year to do this. Let them go home and I will get them back for you after the holidays. Rob send in your papers now so we don't get screwed. Now is the time to file ...Jump on it.:blob4:

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Is It Going To Stop Raining??????????????

landcare pa
10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
i do hope it stops soon!!

i need these guy`s to stay though for snow removal

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Sign up now to get your H2B workers for 06 season. Our offices have reported that they have some excellent guys, who are ready for the new season. Contact us today.

DVS Hardscaper
10-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Hang in there.

The U.S will soon be legalizing the existing.

And H2B will be HISTORY.

Its is absolutely SILLY to import more hispanics when we have plenty here that are already trained, familiar with our culture, laws, systems, etc.

HOLA LABOR is the best for H2B. They do as they say.

10-18-2005, 10:56 PM
It's an interesting topic, but on the other hand, I've never had trouble getting temps through an outfit called Labor Ready in Portland or Medford, Oregon. I usually prefer the Mexican Hispanics because they work.

Almost all my labor needs are temp. But often continuously running for months. And if I'm not too stingy, I can request the same guys, and they like to keep coming back.

At least in Portland area, I have not seen this labor pool starvation yet. Any one else in Oregon seen that kind of shortage here yet?

Marcus Drake Consultants
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
The good thing about the H2B program is you can get the same person year after year. Once you train them you have reliable men. I think this would work out to be cheaper also. Labor Ready is very expensive.