PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ideas/Leaf Loader+Dump Trailer

captainsimple
10-13-2005, 10:42 PM
My company has a 6x10 ez-dump trailer and just purchased a Little Wonder 16hp leaf loader with swing arm that plugs into the a reciever hitch. Anyone use a setup similiar? I'm looking for ideas as to how to mount a hitch reciever under the dumping trailer and still have everything work properly. If any on has done this, ideas, directions, or pictures would be fantastic thanks.

LB1234
10-13-2005, 11:29 PM
do a search, I've written plenty on our setup with our 14' dump trailer. PM me for specifics.

Darryl G
10-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Most trailer vac rigs I've seen have the vac in front.

LwnmwrMan22
10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I ran a 2x12 into the ramp holder under the backend of the trailer, then mounted the loader onto the 2x12. Hooked the chain up underneath to keep the board from sliding out.

Whenever I wanted to dump the trailer I just slid the blower out from under the trailer, went and dumped, then slid the board / blower back into the ramp holder.

captainsimple
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies....LB1234, searched all your posts didn't see enough info, tried to pm you, for some reason I can't, so if you could give me more details as to how you mounted the leaf loader to the back of the trailer that would be fantastic, either here, or email me. Thanks again.

walker-talker
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Something like this?

walker-talker
10-14-2005, 11:06 AM
The above pic was from MLB Landscaping. This one is from Grounds Keepers. These are from the achives here on Lawnsite. I have many more, but here are just a couple. There are many more here if you do the searching.

walker-talker
10-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Here is a unique one from Big Bad Ram.

walker-talker
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I have mine mounted to the front. I had a fabricator build a reciever mount that bolts to the front bumper and frame. The loader is attatched to a bracket that slides into the receiver so that it can be removed if necessary.

Shuter
10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I have the same set up, 6 x 10 dump trailer with a 16 hp Billy Goat. It is mounted on the front of the trailer. When dumping, the vac stays on the front and rises with the dump body. This works out well, because it is out of the way.

captainsimple
10-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks....I thought about mounting it to the front, but the box that has the hydraulic pump, battery, and controls is mounted on the tongue there, and I don't want to block it, or have to move it. I would love to mount it right on the back gate of the trailer, but it's not a swing gate, it's a tailgate, so I can't just mount it there. The plan so far is to make a beefy trailer hitch reciever to take the swing arm that LW sells, it's just where to mount it so it doesn't impead dumping.

clydesdale
10-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I am in the same boat. I have a cam superline (brimar) 6x12 low profile dump. The pump and battery are upfront and the trailer has split barn doors. The wood ramp idea is a thought, but i would like to know if anybody has found a way to have a leaf loader load on the rear and still retain the dump ability. THANKS

Eclipse
10-14-2005, 07:27 PM
I have mine mounted to the front. I had a fabricator build a reciever mount that bolts to the front bumper and frame. The loader is attatched to a bracket that slides into the receiver so that it can be removed if necessary.

I like the idea of putting it on the front but aren't you concerned about road debris and such damaging it? Do you have a cover you slip on it between jobs. I guess a cover wouldn't work because it will be hot from running it.

clydesdale
10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
where do i find the other pics of all these trailers., I have looked and i am striking out. THanks

Itsgottobegreen
10-14-2005, 11:20 PM
I am in the same boat. I have a cam superline (brimar) 6x12 low profile dump. The pump and battery are upfront and the trailer has split barn doors. The wood ramp idea is a thought, but i would like to know if anybody has found a way to have a leaf loader load on the rear and still retain the dump ability. THANKS

I would just mount the vac to the one barn door of the trailer. Then swing the door out and tie it back to dump. Most guys with landscape bodies on trucks do this. Which is why the hinges are so heavyly built on it them. I would have the local welding shop build you a frame that you can put plywood on to make the rear doors. Then just build a wooden box for the rest of the trailer.

LB1234
10-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Captain simple, I tried PMing you what I sent to someone else...FYI...says you turned it off or don't have permission...

Anyway this is what I wrote to clydesdale:

Any pics of how you did the leaf loader and dump trailer? Or a description. Thanks

I had a pic but I can't seem to find it...I'll be hooking it up again over the next few weeks I'll try and post a few picks then.

Basically, it is composed of two parts. Aluminum 'rails' that are cut into an upside down 'U' shape. I have 7-8of those that get attached to the wooden sides (2x12's) via 'slots' that are permanately attached to those sides. After installing the rails you just place/slide the mesh netting over the rails. There are grommets where rubber bungees are used to secure the netting to the trailer. Can get dusty b/c of the mesh...but it is extremely light...I'd estimate <75#'s total.

Our dump trailer basically looks like a giant black covered wagon. All in all takes about 10 minutes to install and/or breakdown. They custom sewn a chute into the rear of the mesh netting were the chute of the leaf loader gets placed and tied off. With the tarp on we estimated ~15 cu.yds of material...we can go a whole day...sometimes a whole week without dumping the trailer...although i wouldn't recommend doing it when rain is in the forecast...had tendency to get stuck...hand shoveling 15 yds of shredded leaves was not my idea of fun!!!

All in all I believe it cost me around $500...I can't really remember off the top of my head...Blancher Canvas @604 Bound Brook Road in Bound Brook, NJ about 45-60 minutes from NYC...not sure where you are from in NY.

captainsimple
10-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I know, that's what it said when I tried to pm you, but I can't find how to turn it on, or a reason why I wouldn't have permission. How do you attach the actual leaf loader.....and do you have barn doors, because I don't, It's one big tailgate that swings down, like a truck.

LB1234
10-15-2005, 11:42 AM
I know, that's what it said when I tried to pm you, but I can't find how to turn it on, or a reason why I wouldn't have permission. How do you attach the actual leaf loader.....and do you have barn doors, because I don't, It's one big tailgate that swings down, like a truck.

barn doors..we have the 16hp billy goat...attach with ratching tie downs.

walker-talker
10-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I like the idea of putting it on the front but aren't you concerned about road debris and such damaging it? Do you have a cover you slip on it between jobs. I guess a cover wouldn't work because it will be hot from running it.
Road debris? No, never had a problem with that. Most people ask about it blocking my vision, but that's not really a problem either. It's quite far from me and off to the right a little bit. City trucks here have a similar setup for cleaning out storm sewer, so I figured if they can get away with it, I can also.

Here is a pic for Ksland with a swing hitch. Does this help you any captainsimple?

Lux Lawn
10-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Matt
Great looking leaf removal set up you got.

captainsimple
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks all, I got some ideas.

clydesdale
10-15-2005, 09:22 PM
ksland has a nice set up. Any other pics??? I am starting to get some ideas. Thanks

LB1234
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm trying to attach the images in pdf...hope it works.

competitiveimageland
11-11-2005, 12:53 AM
im goin to be straight forward with you , presentation is key. im not much for pullin up to a job looking like sanford and son , your makin the money reinvest it and get the right tools for the job thats the way ive always looked it

LB1234
11-11-2005, 09:01 PM
im goin to be straight forward with you , presentation is key. im not much for pullin up to a job looking like sanford and son , your makin the money reinvest it and get the right tools for the job thats the way ive always looked it

If that was directed at me...LOL...we are all entitled to our opinions.

competitiveimageland
11-13-2005, 12:05 AM
no not directed at you , just lookin at some of these other set ups kinda make ya laugh

walker-talker
11-14-2005, 10:16 AM
I have posted a picture of mine before, but here it is again for others to see. The discharge has been painted green since this pic and I still need to paint the truck, but she sure runs like a top.