PDA

View Full Version : Concrete work

Henry
03-21-2001, 10:49 AM
Anybody do concrete work?

Trying to get an idea of how long it would take install a 60'x 4'sidewalk. Removing the old, base, form, pour, finish.

Also do I need a stone base? I see alot of guys around here just compact the ground underneath and pour right over. Doesn't seem right to me.

Guido
03-21-2001, 11:26 AM
We do some concrete work, not as much as at my last base, but I try and keep up with the times. First of all I can't tell you how long it will take you without knowing the size of your crew, equipment you have, etc, etc. Thats somehing better off broken down yourself into a rough price. Just split the job into a couple of parts.

1. Demolition - Take out whatever is left of the old sidewalk if any and clean out whatever was (or wasn't ;) ) underneath it untill you hit a good hard subgrade. Tamp the heck out of it untill you start to bounce as much as the compactor!

2. Bring in the base course!! You definetly want to build yourself a good firm base to work with. Some guys like doing this after they form it up, but I like to get a good initial base set first so solid ground is out past the forms. Its personal opinion though. Anyway, once youy got your base nice and compacted 4" below where you want your sidewalks, .......

3. FOrm it up!! Use some carpenters/forming nails if your using lumber so it will be easier to break your forms off when your done. Make sure you run a good stringline and use as many stakes as needed to keep your forms from bowing out. Also check your corners for square. Another thing to think about in this stage (and in the previous stage is your pitch. You want to pitch it if it doesn't already have a natural slope, so make sure and figure that in. Now, if you got your forms all set where you want them, you may need to re grade your base course some and add/takeaway as necessary and than compact it one last time. If anything I would use wire mesh, but I don't believe that it nor rebar is neccassary for a small sidewalk with no vehicle traffic. You may want to consult with someone in your area to see what you need to hold up to weather, earthquakes, freeze thaw, etc.

4. Pour!!! The fun part. (And finishing of course)

5. Pull your forms and clean up the surrounding area and collect your check!!

If you break it up like that it will be easier for you to estimate how long it will take you for each task.

Hope this helped some!

LScom Addict
03-22-2001, 02:15 PM
Guido and the others who do this type of work I have a question for you. Do you find better result's using plywood strip's or expansion material(bituminous) for creating the curve's in walk's etc? Thank you for your help in advance.

Guido
03-22-2001, 03:37 PM
I've seen a couple different things used, but I've always used steel concrete forms. They sell flexible pieces for the curves and they all work great. If you don't have access to rent or borrow them, I would use the thickest plywood that you can force to make the desired curve.

When using wood for curves, make sure you use more than enough stakes in the bend to give it all the support you can.

Hope this helps!