PDA

View Full Version : ICPI certified ?

neversatisfiedj
10-14-2005, 07:39 AM
How informative are these in hotel conferences ? Should I attend this winter ?

Dreams To Designs
10-14-2005, 10:27 AM
ICPI is an excellent source of information and the certification is a plus to you and your business. Your experience will be the best teacher and sharing information with fellow contractors is always a big plus.

Kirk

DVS Hardscaper
10-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I am ICPI certified.

BIG WOW.

Now that ICPI is only requiring $$$$$ for the renewal of the certification. The local rod and gun club only requires money to renew a membership! Heeeeeeeee- haw. Sorry, I've lost respect for the organization since they changed the certification renewal standards.

Yes the seminars are very informative. You will learn alot.

jus remember, a good company with lotsa nice jobs and a nice portfolio can and will be successful without any sort of cerification.

Although, learning is important. We can never learn too much.

neversatisfiedj
10-14-2005, 11:54 AM
I understand that the "customer" won't know diddy about what ICPI cert is or even if they have heard of the org. I just want to learn all I can. I by far don't know it all, I am a very small part time co. I just wanted to know if it is worth going to. Is it just a seminar or do you have hands on experience ? I read they test you at the end. I agree y portfolio and knowledge will sell more jobs than a cert they know nothing about.

Dreams To Designs
10-14-2005, 12:35 PM
It is 1.5 days of seminar & .5 day for the test. No hands on, just the specs that ICPI suggests. Certification is like a college degree, doesn't mean you understood anything, just that you took the time to learn the material and pass a test. As DVS stated, it's disappointing you do not renew with continuing education units, but with a membership fee. But, like most organizations, they need funds to continue with promotion and education. Have you heard of the MAHTS in Atlantic City in February? ICPI courses are available there along with some other worthwhile classes that are more hands on, but still not real world. They also have a 3 day trade show, and it is in AC, which can be fun in itself.

Kirk

cgland
10-14-2005, 04:45 PM
ICPI is a learning tool. Take the info from the classes and apply it to real world situations. Although customers don't know what ICPI is, it is our job as professionals to explain to them the advantages of being certified. As this industry changes and people become more educated about pavers, ICPI and other certifications will become more "appreciated" and in demand.

P.S. We too are very disappointed about ICPI's recertification standards:mad:

Chris

Drafto
10-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Do it! Do it! Do it! It will change the way you do and view your business!

Dan

DVS Hardscaper
10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
neversatisfied -

You do not need to go to Jersey for the ICPI stuff.

Many places in MD offer the exact same class / exam.

I know Hagerstown Block has a flyer on their counter announcing an upcoming ICPI seminar / exam presented by Cambridge Pavers.

Belgard usually offers seminars / exams in Jan, held in Annapolis. I am not sure if you have to be a Belgard Installer or not. But you can call their Crofton office and ask. To find them through 411, you'll have to tell the operator 'Balcon', not 'Belgard'.

Rex Mann
10-14-2005, 11:26 PM
I would suggest you take the ICPI Basic Contractor Certification. It will help you better understand how the system works. Your current knowledge will help you get the most from the class. It is money well spent.

As far as the recertification goes: Three years industry leaders gathered twice a year at ICPI meetings and tried to come up with fair and reasonable process to re-certify. They ranged from re-taking the basic class to reading a tech-spec on line and taking a short test afterword. Both of those and all other ideas were scraped. If you want to effect change, and it sounds like you may, then become a member of the ICPI and attend the meetings. Let your voice be heard. It is easy to let others in the industry be the leaders. We need more contractors attending the meetings and giving their input.

Peace,

Rex

ICPI Instructor

http://www.icpi.org/industry/calendar.cfm