PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 10/14/05 - Making Friends

Sean Adams
10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I know there are a lot of discussions and stories on this site of lawn and landscape business owners in specific areas that do not get along - for some odd reason people think it is necessary to hate your competition. Now I am not suggesting you become best friends with those who you compete with, but becoming cordial can pay off. If you can develop a civil, working relationship with other companies in your area, it can easily lead to work and referrals. I know that I often referred plenty of work to people who offered the same service I did. In return there was a feeling of obligation for them to do the same. If our company did not want to handle an account because it was too small or out of the way, I had a list of smaller companies usually willing to take on the account. And if an account was too big for them to handle or they did not offer fertilization and weed control services for example, they would reccommend us.

socty
10-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Great advice. I've often found that you can get extra business from the most unlikely sources...you never know what's around the bend.

D & J Lawn Care
10-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I always wave to the one that waves back and even small shop talk is nice I even offer to give this guy a ride to get his extra keys " he lost his truck keys" he watches my trailer when I'm in back and I do the same for him there is so much work in Tampa I don't feel the hate or envy . I did pick up about 5 new accounts from this one crew who did not show up or call for 2 weeks in a real nice neighborhood , people just started coming to me while I'm doing another property, I always tell them as long you give them proper notification I have no problem taking over am I wrong ? :help: , if i don't somebody else will