PDA

View Full Version : New Hybrid Bluegrasses

lilmarvin4064
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
There's some new bluegrass on the market, a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass and Texas Bluegrass. Lesco's is called Longhorn Hybrid, and Scotts is called Thermal Blue. From what I hear, you get all the benefits of bluegrass and supposedly are MORE resistant to heat, drought, and disease than TTTF. They sound very good, but are expensive.

Anyone try it yet, or plan on trying it out?

timturf
10-14-2005, 08:52 PM
planted some in spring of 2004, held up wqell, use in my mix

Microbe
10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
That kinda makes no sense... to me anyway... How can a bluegrass be more hardy or more resistant to moisture loss than TTTF? Bluegrass has roots that really only penetrate the top layer of soil by spreading rizhoms "spelling", how can that compete with the deep root growth of TTTF? or Dwarf type tall fescue

ThreeWide
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Scotts sells it as Thermal Blue. Thermal Blue is 91% Tall Fescue and 9% Bluegrass. I was told that Lesco's blend is 15% Bluegrass.

The idea is having the Bluegrass spread via rhizomes where the Fescue becomes thin. The concept is to provide a more dense stand to avoid the need for overseeding each year. In this area, we lose a percentage of Fescue plants during the harsh Summer conditions.

One of my customers asked for this type this Fall, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I am still somewhat skeptical about the Bluegrass, as it was developed in a part of Texas where humidity is generally lower than what you see in the Southeastern states.

nate1422
10-18-2005, 09:19 AM
It seems like false advertising. It isn't that the bluegrass is more hardy for the drought conditions by itself and is a 100% KBG, it is just mixed with 91%TTTF. Ultimately, it is a TTTF stand, not bluegrass from what I read on the website. I am skeptical myself about the long term results, it seems to be a marketing pitch more than functionality. You never know, time will tell.

ThreeWide
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
it seems to be a marketing pitch more than functionality.

Exactly what I think about it as well. They did heavy advertising of this product on the radio in my area. Most thought it was something new, when really it isn't.

nate1422
10-18-2005, 10:36 AM
I personally wouldn't want to explain the long thicker blades of grass to someone that has a good stand of KBG. In the long run, it could work out for the LC industry, lots of renovations to do for the unsuspecting consumer.

Runner
10-18-2005, 11:18 AM
So in other words, it is also the same thing as Lesco's Teammates Plus.

nate1422
10-18-2005, 12:23 PM
No Way!!! This is Scotts Thermal Blue. This is a cutting edge genetic variation that is innovative and new to the industry. It will revolutionize lawn care as we know it.

For the non-sarcastic answer, I think so but without the pretty bag.

ninrocket
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Your wrong. Thermal Blue is a genetic variation. It is NOT 91% Fescue and 9% Bluegrass.

There is a mixture called Heat Tolerant Blue that they sell. This is more likely what you're referring to.

Click HERE (http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/Article.Detail/documentId/e465d0b3320835d5fbd4e66d6842aed1) and read an article that should clarify this point.

I personally have a pure Thermal Blue lawn and it looks great. I have people stop by on average once per week and ask what type of grass I have. I sodded it in the first week of August in Atlanta, GA area. It was 95 degrees. My lawn has full sun.

The only problem I have had is crabgrass and goosegrass. I haven't used any herbicides because I wanted to make sure the sod was established first. I think I will hit it with preemergents around March 1st pretty heavy and hopefully it will reduce the problem.

lilmarvin4064
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Researchers have been working on them since the early 90's. I also found out Lesco's version is called Duro-Turf (85% 3 fescues, 15% Longhorn Hybrid Blue).

If you have a .pdf reader, check this out (similar to previous link).

http://www.scottsproseed.com/_pdf/ThermalBlueBrochur.pdf

nate1422
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I stand corrected. I was referring to the heat tolerant blue, that is the only product that I saw to be available. I did not realize that you could get the Thermal Blue as a monostand. Could you post some pics? I would be interested in such a bluegrass.

ThreeWide
10-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Your wrong. Thermal Blue is a genetic variation. It is NOT 91% Fescue and 9% Bluegrass.

There is a mixture called Heat Tolerant Blue that they sell. This is more likely what you're referring to.

Click HERE (http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/Article.Detail/documentId/e465d0b3320835d5fbd4e66d6842aed1) and read an article that should clarify this point.

I personally have a pure Thermal Blue lawn and it looks great. I have people stop by on average once per week and ask what type of grass I have. I sodded it in the first week of August in Atlanta, GA area. It was 95 degrees. My lawn has full sun.

The only problem I have had is crabgrass and goosegrass. I haven't used any herbicides because I wanted to make sure the sod was established first. I think I will hit it with preemergents around March 1st pretty heavy and hopefully it will reduce the problem.

I stand corrected.

You are correct in that the product is sold as Heat Tolerant Blue and contains 9% Thermal Blue. It is rather confusing to say the least.

Can you post some pictures of your Thermal Blue lawn? I live near your area and actually wouldn't mind having a look some time.

ninrocket
10-19-2005, 06:04 PM
After 3 days....(notice my neighbors Bermuda in the upper left corner)
http://www.ihssol.com/8-8-05.JPG

2 weeks later
http://www.ihssol.com/8-22-05.JPG

Side yard....with my cutoff line of dirt. (I'm going to put in a fence and pool this spring....if my wife will quit blowin' money...:dizzy: )
http://www.ihssol.com/8-22-05%20Side%20Yard.JPG

Let me know what you think.

FYI-My first landscaping job ever...I'm a new homeowner.

26 pallets of sod, 900' feet of 1" pipe, 22 sprinklers, and a LOT of hardwork over a week and a half...but it was very rewarding!:)

PS...Bermuda will run right to the edge of this stuff and bounce away with it's tail between it's legs....SERIOUSLY! It doesn't invade one bit. I think it is because I cut the grass at 2-1/2 inches and the leaf canopy keeps sun off of the Bermuda. No sun, no Bermuda.

ninrocket
10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Other things of interest....

I used no fertilizer in these pictures. I only limed my yard a week before sodding. I didn't fertilize until 4 weeks. These photos were from the first 2 weeks. I'll upload some newer photos so you can see it now.

After fertilizing it became even darker and more even in color. Bermuda looks yellow-green in comparison.

I used no herbicides. I am paying for it with some fair amount of crabgrass and goosegrass in areas of the lawn. I wanted the grass to have a chance to root before putting chemicals down. I am planning on letting these weeds die with the first frost. I will let them decay naturally and then probably spray Dimension on or slightly before March 1st. I am going to see if the grass will fill in the dead weed spots as advertised.

I did have a little fungus problem which I treated and it went away. I was irrigating WAY to much. I could take a #1 Phillips head screwdriver with a 6 inch shank and push it in to the dirt all the way up to the handle. It felt like I was poking it thru ice cream. My backyard will take a hammer to do the same thing. This was partly because I tilled 8" and removed any rocks bigger than a grape....but mostly because of the excess water. I have since lowered my irrigation to 2 days a week.

It seems that this grass requires moderate maintenance. A little more than a good looking Bermuda lawn.

The reason I took a chance on this new cultivar is because I want a year round green lawn. So far so good.

Any recommendations that you Pros have for weed management...IE Preemergents, etc.... would be great!

Thanks!

nate1422
10-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice pics. You sold me. I'll have to look around my area to see if I can find the Thermal blue.

ThreeWide
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Make sure your first fertilization has a good amount of Phosphorous. You should then fertilize it twice before Winter comes with high Nitrogen. Use a slow release product such as MESA or SCU now, and then maybe Ammonium Nitrate in December as the soil temps cool. Hit it again in February and April 1. After April 1, cut off the Nitrogen supply almost completely. In May, fertilize with high Potassium and Iron. This will help with Summer stress.

Drive will get rid of your crabgrass, but so will the frost. It does also control some broadleafs, so there might be some value in that. Drive will not harm your new turf. You certainly want to avoid commonly used broadleaf herbicides as most of them contain 2,4-D. Your turf is not quite ready for that yet. By Spring you can though.

One note on Bermuda. It WILL envade ANY other type of grass without question. Bermuda is not growing rapidly this time of year, but next Summer you will see it attempt to invade. Keep it as far away as possible from your Bluegrass.

ninrocket
11-03-2005, 08:06 PM
My yard today...November 3rd, 2005...thought you might be interested.

http://www.ihssol.com/Nov3rd2005.JPG

It's the green one.....the brown ones are all Bermuda.

johnboy
11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
That looks awesome....especially for Georgia at this time of year. Great Job!

ThreeWide
11-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey if you don't mind PM me with the subdivision you live in.

I would like to drive by and have a look in person sometime.

brucec32
04-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Very interesting. I live in Atlanta and heard the radio ads and started my research here.

Am I correct in thinking that an unirrigated lawn would "burn up" just like a Tall Fescue one?

My guess is a lot of that great look is from the excellent soil prep and care it's received, but also the fact that it is grown from sod, not seed. I have sodded Tall Fescue in my lawn and most of it looked great until about August last year. And it was laid by the builder on top of hard pan clay with no amendments. The regular Fescue lawns here never look that great after about mid June.

Time will tell on how it handles a full summer of heat. It would really be something to get a grass that nice that doesn't have to be reseeded annually and that fills gaps over the season.

ninrocket
05-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I think you are incorrect about the irrigation. I put in my irrigation system thinking it would be necessary but it really isn't.

I also must say that this stuff has some very good rhizome action. This is evident by my pictures and the fact that I have not overseeded one bit.

After several months of playing with this stuff I have learned quite a lot.
The most important thing is that "water is your enemy" (as my Lesco rep put it). I have irrigated just 4 times since January 1st this year.

Most people want to believe that this grass is a "heat tolerant" cool season grass. I believe it really should be treated as a warm season grass. I have NO FEAR whatsoever about this summer. I planted this stuff the first week of August last year at 95F. If that doesn't kill it nothing will.

I am about to start the renovation process on my backyard. I will be using seed. I will post pictures of the progress.

Also...I must mention that I have ZERO, NONE, NADDA, ZILCH encroachment of Bermuda grass into this lawn. Bermuda still hits the fringe and runs with it's tail between its legs. I am starting to see some of my Thermal Blue digging through my neighbors Bermuda...I will take a picture to prove this point and post it since I know NOONE will believe this statement...but it is true.

Here is the latest picture of my lawn I took this morning.

http://www.ihssol.com/May17th2006.jpg

I still have weekly visitors wanting to get info on my yard.

I think the reason some people have had problems with this grass is because they believe it will burn and so they over maintain it. Less is better. I used Pre-M at 3lbs rate on March 1st and then again on May 1st at 1.5lbs. So far I have NO weeds. I also have fed this stuff twice. I'm not going to do anything else besides cut it for the next 2-3 months. Scott's Pro Seed is recommending Nitrogen fertilizer even during August (1/2 lb rate). Do that with Fescue!

PS....I must give a GIANT-ENORMOUSLY HUGE THANKS!!!!!!!! to TurfUnlimited who has made a ton of intelligent comments on this forum. One of his posts lead me to Regal Chemical (http://www.regalchem.com) in Alpharetta, GA. I must agree that what he said about their products being the Cadillac of lawn products is absolutely true. I use LiquiGreen fertilizer at 30-0-0 (70% slow release and non-burning Nitrogen) , MultiGreen, and RegalCrown. This stuff ROCKS!!!!!! I took core samples of my lawn around Feb. 1st 2006. My roots were about 2-3 inches deep. After applying the 3 products above and waiting 6 weeks my grass roots are now at the 5-6 inch depth.....IN GEORGIA CLAY!!!!!! Bring on the summer baby!!!!

ninrocket
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I think you are incorrect about the irrigation. I put in my irrigation system thinking it would be necessary but it really isn't.

After several months of playing with this stuff I have learned quite a lot.
The most important thing is that "water is your enemy" (as my Lesco rep put it). I have irrigated just 4 times since January 1st this year.

Most people want to believe that this grass is a "heat tolerant" cool season grass. I believe it really should be treated as a warm season grass. I have NO FEAR whatsoever about this summer. I planted this stuff the first week of August last year at 95F. If that doesn't kill it nothing will.

I am about to start the renovation process on my backyard. I will be using seed. I will post pictures of the progress.

Also...I must mention that I have ZERO, NONE, NADDA, ZILCH encroachment of Bermuda grass into this lawn. Bermuda still hits the fringe and runs with it's tail between its legs. I am starting to see some of my Thermal Blue digging through my neighbors Bermuda...I will take a picture to prove this point and post it since I know NOONE will believe this statement...but it is true.

Here is the latest picture of my lawn I took this morning.

http://www.ihssol.com/May17th2006.jpg

I still have weekly visitors wanting to get info on my yard.

I think the reason some people have had problems with this grass is because they believe it will burn and so they over maintain it. Less is better. I used Pre-M at 3lbs rate on March 1st and then again on May 1st at 1.5lbs. So far I have NO weeds. I also have fed this stuff twice. I'm not going to do anything else besides cut it for the next 2-3 months. Scott's Pro Seed is recommending Nitrogen fertilizer even during August (1/2 lb rate). Do that with Fescue!

PS....I must give a GIANT-ENORMOUSLY HUGE THANKS!!!!!!!! to TurfUnlimited who has made a ton of intelligent comments on this forum. One of his posts lead me to Regal Chemical (http://www.regalchem.com) in Alpharetta, GA. I must agree that what he said about their products being the Cadillac of lawn products is absolutely true. I use LiquiGreen fertilizer 30-0-0 with 70% slow release and non-burning Nitrogen, MultiGreen, and RegalCrown. This stuff ROCKS!!!!!! I took core samples of my lawn around Feb. 1st 2006. My roots were about 2-3 inches deep. After applying the 3 products above and waiting 6 weeks my grass roots are now at the 5-6 inch depth.....IN GEORGIA CLAY!!!!!! Bring on the summer baby!!!!

ninrocket
05-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey TurfUnlimited.....I PM'd my contact info if you still want to come take a look at it.

This stuff really SUX.........I wouldn't plant it anywhere in Georgia if I were you.......:rolleyes:

(sorry about the double post........maybe the admin will get bored and delete the duplicate)

eric0919
05-24-2006, 05:58 PM
So were can you get pure thremal Blue and would it be any good in central Indiana. It seems like it would be.

Eric

hmartin
05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Ninrocket,

Please keep us up to date on this lawn by posting pictures through the summer. I think the lawn is beautiful!!!!!!

PLUCKY
05-26-2006, 09:13 AM
OKay I am in oklahoma and would love to try this on mine and some clients yards but cannot find just premium blue seed? Where is the for sale? All I can get a hold of is the mixture mentioned on here.

Thanks

Skye

eric0919
05-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Does anybody know how this Thermal Blue compares to other Bluegrass hybrids. I am particularly interested in REVEILLE HYBRID.

fulano
05-26-2006, 05:37 PM
They advertised that grass heavily on Nashville radio this year. Your lawn looks great. I may go with that and seed myself later this year.

ThreeWide
05-28-2006, 08:46 PM
If I remember correctly his lawn was sodded.

pyrguy
05-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Ninrocket,

I like the looks of that lawn. Please keep us updated with pics this summer. I am loking for a good turf. I think I'm right around the corner from you in Union Hill looks like you're just up 372.

Where are you getting seed??

Thanks

PLUCKY
05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
OKay so I found somewhere to buy the seed PM me if interested or email me. Also I see why there mix is only 10% because this stuff does put out runners like bermuda but not as aggressive so you don't need in much. This stuff is not cheap per pound but there is more seed per pound then fescue. (smaller seed)

plucky

ninrocket
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Click HERE (http://www.scottsproseed.com/_pdf/maintenanceguide.pdf) for info on the new varieties from Scott's. Landmark Seed has a number listed at the bottom of the page(1-800-268-2379). Call and they will give you a distributor.

Click HERE (http://www.scottsproseed.com/news/maintaining.cfm) after you figure out what zone you are in and you can find a blend that is recommended by Scott's for you area.

Here is a pic up close from today......
http://www.ihssol.com/yard/Grass.JPG

I still have virtually NO WEEDS :clapping: except for a few on the edges of sidewalks, curbs, etc....that I just handpick. Bermuda is still hitting the edge and running.

One other note:

I only had 1.8 inches of rain last month. I decided to push this stuff to the LIMIT a couple of days ago. I didn't water it and let it REALLY dry out. I got up this past Sunday and I could see a couple of patches that were about 15 foot in diameter. They were kind of dark green and brown looking. After close examination I found that the blades were starting to curl. I IMMEDIATLY turned on my irrigation and ran it for 30 minutes per zone. In about 5 minutes you could see the normal color coming back in the overlapped zones. It was COOL watching the grass change color before my eyes. (I never thought I'd say that watching grass change color would be cool......I guess I'm a lawn junky like the rest of you poor bastards).

Anyway...I did a full 1 inch irrigation the next day and everything is back to normal again.

Later!

ninrocket
06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I also should have mentioned that the one home in my neighborhood that has Centipede was doing the same thing. That may help to give an indication of the water requirement for this lawn.

BY THE WAY............if anyone knows who I can get to dig a well for my irrigation system......for dirt cheap......reply to this post or PM me.

I think 5,000.00 for a hole with a pipe in it is pretty expensive. I guess that's what most people have to charge these days to make a living drilling wells.

I may end up buying a portable unit off Ebay for about 2000.00 and drill the hole myself.

If I can put one in for 2500 bucks it will pay for itself in a couple of years.....plus I can tell the water dept. to kiss my butt if they ever come into my yard and tell me it's not my day to irrigate :drinkup: .

See ya'

ninrocket
06-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Here is a picture from the 22nd of June 2006....a week ago.

http://www.ihssol.com/yard/June22nd2006.jpg

We were in a drought. The yards in the background are Bermuda.

Here is a picture from yesterday 6/29/2006. If you look close you can see the blades are starting to fold a little bit. Time to irrigate!

http://www.ihssol.com/yard/June29th2006.JPG

July will be the true test. Were just about to hit the upper 90's for the next few weeks.

ryanesto
05-14-2007, 12:11 AM
ninrocket,
any new pics of your yard. how did it handle the heat in july and august? any issues develop while lawn was under max stress?
i'm in nashville, tn and ovseeded my lawn with scotts heat tol. blue a month ago. i'm using your experience to anticipate issues and respond accordingly.
your lawn looks great!
regards,
ryanesto

ryanesto
05-14-2007, 12:16 AM
They advertised that grass heavily on Nashville radio this year. Your lawn looks great. I may go with that and seed myself later this year.

fulano,
i too live in nashville, tn. i over seeded my lawn with scotts heat tol. blue a month ago and it seems to be doing fine. have you used? any comments, alerts, etc.
thanks,
ryanesto
ps: i do not have an irrigation system and hope i'm not dragging the hose all summer.

rcmike
07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
That grass looks really good. I am thinking of trying some up here in TN. Oh, BTW, on wells you get what you pay for. There is a reason why they are so expensive. When your rig costs half a million dollars you have to pay for it. Not to mention fuel, insurance, etc. It isn't something you can do cheaply. Trust me, I do it for a living. :) If your geology is anything like around here you won't get too far with one of those diy doohickeys.

JoeinJasper
11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Bump to the top...Any new pictures after the summer of '07?

DavidR
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Would this bluegrass hybrid be good for a yard in Virginia? Does it get to cold here? I'm looking for something a bit more heat tolerant for the middle of the summers. Currently I have mostly tall fescue that seems to really be affected by the summers here.

Marcos
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Would this bluegrass hybrid be good for a yard in Virginia? Does it get to cold here? I'm looking for something a bit more heat tolerant for the middle of the summers. Currently I have mostly tall fescue that seems to really be affected by the summers here.

Look on ntep.org for them now. I believe it's been long enough now that the newer 'heat resistant' blues are probably showing up on it. The seeds listed on this site were all tested at universities all over the country.
Just look for a school near you. I always try to pick my seed from the top 15 or so varieties tested in Columbus OH, based on all overall performance.

The job then is to source out from a vendor a blend of three or four of the top 20, ideally. There's always going to be strength in numbers of varieties, regardless of grass species.

DavidR
11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the link Marcos. That has a bunch of great information.

rebaths
05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Would love to see ninrocket's lawn now that it's the next year... very nice looking so far.

rebaths
05-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Also would like to see if there are any sources of true Thermal Blue (or similar) sod in South Carolina.

OKIEMIKE
05-16-2008, 03:44 PM
this is year 3 for me and i love it so far. ninrocket never posted updates so i though i would of my own.

pure...not mixture thermal blue.

1st pict is year 2 spring
2nd pict was this spring

rebaths
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Very nice lawn.

You said it's pure thermal blue. Is that from seed or sod? Is it even possible to get 100% thermal blue seed?

vtec94
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Man your lawn look great!...

rebaths
06-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, anyone know if you can get 100% Thermal Blue sod? Is it advisable to get 100% Thermal Blue or is a mixture better?

The Scott's TB bags only have about 9.7% TB seed.. not much!
The Scott's Reseed Supreme has 15% TB seed.. I bet most people don't know that.

OKIEMIKE
06-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, anyone know if you can get 100% Thermal Blue sod? Is it advisable to get 100% Thermal Blue or is a mixture better?

The Scott's TB bags only have about 9.7% TB seed.. not much!
The Scott's Reseed Supreme has 15% TB seed.. I bet most people don't know that.

I DON'T KNOW...BUT SEEDING IS EASY...

rebaths
06-13-2008, 05:16 PM
OKIEMIKE

Is your lawn from seed or sod?

rebaths
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Just bumping..

Trying to get my plans down for the fall seeding. Scotts seed is anywhere from 9%-15% Thermal Blue.. wonder if this is enough to make a good yard or if 100% thermal blue seed or sod can be found somewhere.

bscill
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Rebaths,
I contacted Scotts about the thermal blue seed, cause I am going to redo my lawn this fall as well. I will let you know what I find out from them.

rebaths
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Thank you!

jimmygiii
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Here's a link to a website that sells Scott's HBG in more than just the standard 10% blend with fescue. They have 100% HBG listed too, but it says not a stock item.

HBG Blend link
http://www.greenvelvet.com/products_seed.php?page=catalog&subcategoryID=40

100% HBG Link
http://www.greenvelvet.com/products_seed.php?page=catalog&subcategoryID=50

rebaths
08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the links.
I called and asked about their Hybrid Blue 80/20
"Green Velvet Hybrid Power 80/20 Blue/Rye Mixture per pound (lb) 30% Thermal Blue Hybrid, 30% Solar Green Hybrid, 20% Dura Blue or Thermal Blue Blaze Hybrid, 20% Premium Perennial Ryegrass"

The pricing is $4.75/lb. I need about 50 lbs. for my yard seeding at 5lbs/1000sf, so that's $250 for seed. Certainly more than I've ever paid before.

Can I get anyone's opinion on whether or not this will be worth it?

Thanks!

jimmygiii
08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Is it sod quality seed? Sod quality seed contains no weed seeds, which is always a big plus in my book. Seed Research of Oregon just released a hybrid bluegrass called Spitfire. Spitfire is a HBG bred back with Midnight KBG (an elite KBG). Globefeedseed.com quoted me $7.58 per lb delivered, 50 pound bags only. You might want to check Spitfire out.

I'd suggest buying the very best seeds that money can buy, because then you're starting off with the best genetic makeup.

rebaths
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey when I said it's more than I paid before, that's coming from me, a home owner who is used to buying Scotts or Pennington stuff! I am quickly finding out that quality stuff costs a pretty penny!

I will call Green Velvet tomorrow to see how much weed seed & foreign material is in the bag, if that's what you mean.

I see you are from Alabama. I live in SC, on the border of zone 7B and 8. I am looking for a hybrid bluegrass that spreads but can withstand 95+ heat. Does Spitfire fit the bill?

jimmygiii
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't know if Spitfire will fit the bill or not, but I put down Scott's HTB (10% thermal blue by weight, 90% fescue) last September and haven't been pleased with the results. It looked fantastic until late May. Then things went downhill fast from some fungal issues (maybe red thread). Right now, about a third of it is left in the 2,000 sq ft area that I seeded. I'm pretty sure that the Thermal Blue is the only grass that survived, and now I realize that don't really like it's color. I've read posts from other folks that have had very similar experiences with HTB in Memphis & Ohio. I've also read posts of people that love their Thermal Blue too though. On a more positive note, it really does tiller & fill in the dead spots. The guy in Memphis I talked to online lost 75% of his in July 07, he said by late Spring 08 it was back to 98% filled in.

For information overload on grass cultivars, go to ntep.org. They have tons of info on comparative trials of grasses going back 20+ years. I've scoured their data looking to see how Scott's hybrid blugrasses stack up to the elite KBGs. Unfortunately, I've never seen Scott's HBGs listed in any of their trials. Spitfire is not listed either, but it is bred back to Midnight KBG, which is always at the top of their rankings.

I guess I'll get around to ordering a few pounds of Spitfire and give it a shot this year. If it doesn't work, then I think I'll bag the whole cool season grass in the deep south experiment and put down St Augustine or Zoysia, or maybe experiment with some seeded Seashore Paspalum (ouch, $49.99 a lb!). Of course, I'm just playing around with 2,000 sq ft, that's not much compared to 10,000 sq ft.

rebaths
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I spoke with John at Seed Research of Oregon (sales manager?) and he actually recommended to NOT use 100% hybrid bluegrass in my lawn. he said the results would be on par with Fescue.

Their 90% Fescue/10% HBG mix won't be out for a few weeks.

And I got a quote of $6.60 from Globe Seed for the Spitfire!!!

So now I am considering Zoysia, since an expert has recommended to not go 100% Hybrid Blue Grass, and the 10% mixture is really just enough to try to fill in bare spots when your Fescue dies in the 100 degree heat.

jimmygiii
08-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Zoysia is my favorite grass except it goes dormant in the winter. It's supposedly hard and very slow to start from seed, sprigs or plugs, which leaves sod. Zoysia sod in Birmingham goes for around $150 - $200 per pallet and covers 400 square feet.

Thanks for the info from John at Seed Research of Oregon, maybe I should have spoken with him before ordering my seed...time will tell.

nwok2u
08-28-2008, 01:55 AM
OKIEMIKE,

Where did you find the seed or sod in the OKC area. I have been trying to get this seed for quite some time now. Looks superb.

this is year 3 for me and i love it so far. ninrocket never posted updates so i though i would of my own.

pure...not mixture thermal blue.

1st pict is year 2 spring
2nd pict was this spring

srm077
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Look for your local Landmark seed dealer. I purchased pure Thermal Blue locally from Sheltons Landscape Supply here in Chattanooga TN. They also had 50 pound mix bags of the 4 Hybrid Blue's (Thermal Blue, Dura Blue, Solar Green, and Thermal Blue Blaze). It was listed as a "Golf Course Rough Mix" Don't know if they ship but here is the web address. They dont list the Thermals on their site just that they carry the Landmark / Scott's Pro Seed line.

http://www.sheltonlandscape.com/p_seed.htm

dave k
09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I planted TB last year in full sun, but now with the summer over, it did very poorly, will be using a TTTF blend this year. the TB looks like it is trying to recover, it did better in the shade under an oak than in full sun.

bigslick7878
09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I planted TB last year in full sun, but now with the summer over, it did very poorly, will be using a TTTF blend this year. the TB looks like it is trying to recover, it did better in the shade under an oak than in full sun.

TB has almost zero chance of thriving in the south where you are unless it is irrigated properly.

srm077
09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
TB has almost zero chance of thriving in the south where you are unless it is irrigated properly.

Mine is doing great in full sun. I do irrigate it during dryspells though. It looks much better that fescue yards getting 2 times the water in my 'hood.

platinum
09-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Is this TB recommended for ohio? I see allot of southern use...

I need a new mix. I used Lescos Transition blend last year and was not happy with the summer results.

OKSooner
09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
OKIEMIKE,

Where did you find the seed or sod in the OKC area. I have been trying to get this seed for quite some time now. Looks superb.

Has anyone had any luck finding this seed in either OKC or Tulsa?

If not, how about Longhorn Hybrid or any other kind of hybrid bluegrass?

I have a client whose front yard slopes right into the 3 o'clock sun and their fescue turns to absolute toast around June 15th. I need to find something that will survive that really hot part of the summer. Can't use bermuda or zoysia because the rest of the lawn is partly shady and has nice fescue in it.

nwok2u
09-09-2009, 01:15 AM
How much do you need. You can get thermal Blue or a mix of hybrids at Newsome seed in Maryland (already got one shipment from them). Other possibilites: Green Velvet (Ohio), Burtch Seed (Ohio), and Longhorn from Lesco.

platinum
09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
The Lesco near me did not have the Longhorn and would not order it. I went with the heat-tolerant blue mix from Scotts. It primarily fescue (coyote/fidelity) but has 6% Thermal blue.