PDA

View Full Version : Same old areating, dethatching price question

Natural Impressions
10-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I am writing up an estimate for a current client ( with the right price he will probably sign on again for next year) who wants areating, dethatching, and seeding for his entire lawn. The lawn area is approx. 17,750 sq ft.. I have a figuire of about .015 cents per sq ft. for areating( $265.00 charge). To me that seems a little high but seems to be the going rate I have been reading on here. The rate for detathing I'm guessing is the same rate plus a debris removal charge( $50.00 is my guess). For the reseeding charge i am figuiring on 2 bags ( for fall and spring seeding) @ a $45.00 charge per bag plus a $50.00 spreading fee. The total estimated price for this job I am getting is $720.00 for the entire job. How does this sound to everyone. Resonable? Overpriced? What are some numbers, figuires you guys use. :drinkup: :confused: Oh yea, for the areating i am renting and the dethatching I own.

Dreams To Designs
10-15-2005, 09:43 AM
We are using .07-.09 cents per sq ft for aerating, power seeding and fertilization with the typical property between 10,000 and 30,000 sq ft of turf area. Haven't missed many jobs, but had to scale a few back to front yards only.

Kirk

Natural Impressions
10-15-2005, 09:53 AM
We are using .07-.09 cents per sq ft for aerating, power seeding and fertilization with the typical property between 10,000 and 30,000 sq ft of turf area. Haven't missed many jobs, but had to scale a few back to front yards only.

Kirk

So then for the square footage( 17750sq ft) you are getting almost $1250.- (@.07 cents) and you aren't even removing the thatch? Wow, that seems really high to me. Maybe I am just looking at this wrong.

Dreams To Designs
10-15-2005, 10:21 AM
After aerating and slice seeding, a bit of raking removes any of the thatch that has been torn up. It also helps seat any seed that may be just sitting on top of the soil. A slicer/seeder will rip up any thatch that has built up and it can easily be raked off and removed. The slicer/seeder also chops up the aeration plugs to use for seed covering. According to the experts, this method results in germination in excess of 85%, and with the price of seed, it's well worth it. We also use Turf Type Tall Fescue blend with 10% bluegrass to fill in any bare spots.

You have to consider all your costs and the wear and tear on you! Aerating and slice/seeding is not easy work. Those machines will beat you up. If you have to rent the machines, that affects your profits, even if you own the machines you have to factor in maintenance and replacement cost. The type of seed you use will also affect costs. TTTF is not cheap, but in our area seems to get the best and longest lasting look. Most of our renovation clients are already on our maintenance and fertilization program. This is just and added service for their lawn care. You may be able to adjust your fees because of overhead or supplies, or you may have to because of your market.

Kirk

Natural Impressions
10-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks. I just got home from the days work and when I was on the road I was thinking about it. In taking in insurances and machines used with wear and tear it does make more sense to me.

TurfProSTL
10-16-2005, 11:41 AM
$1,100 includes disposal

indyturf
10-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I would try and sell him on double aeration and slit-seeding. unless the thatch is really bad I think dethatching does more harm than good and is very time consuiming to clean-up .