PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Matoway vs. Lesco Renovator?

Redbear
10-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I've been using the Ryan for about 7 years now, time to get a new one. I've been very happy with results but wish it was a little easier operating on small residential properties. Considering a Lesco for this purpose but I have concerns about seed placement vs. the Ryan as I'm not as confident that the box drop method makes the same soil contact and therefore gives the same success as the Ryan disc placement might. I'm sure on bare soil it is fine but we upsell overseeding a lot and that means doing thin lawns or even thicker lawns to introduce a new variety. Any thoughts on what the success may be like. Would really like to hear from those of you using the Lesco, especially if you have experience with the Ryan as well.

spray guy
10-15-2005, 06:53 PM
I also have a ryan lawnaire 28 which I use alot. season lawn care market. The ryan mataway is a heck of a machine, my friend has a lesco rennovater he has only used it one time and its been in storage for years. I still own my mataway and I use it occasionally.

6'7 330
10-15-2005, 07:08 PM
We purchased two matteways with 10 horse Briggs engines, in 1996! The matteway is a very good machine, but as you said rough operating on small props. It gets very good results .Down side is, for the workers it is a bear to operate all day long. And it has a lot of belts.

The renovator is much easier to maneuver on those small props, like on the south side of Chicago. It much easier for workers and they get less fatigued after a long day. The results from the renovator are first class; we always get excellent germination on existing turf.

TURF DOCTOR
10-15-2005, 08:39 PM
We have the lesco very pleased starts on 1 or 2 pulls 99 percent of the seed will come up self propelled is the way to go the seed box should hold more seed my 2 cents i highly recommend the lesco.

FINN
10-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I think there is room in the market for equipment mfg. to come up with a slit seeder that is not a bear to run and can give you decent production on lawn that has a walk behind application.

turfcobob
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey Finn
go to Turfco.com and check out the LawnOverseeder 20...It has been around for 6 years. Works just like they say it does, easy and will do hills.

Mr. RedBear: Your Ryan Mataway is doing the same thing as the Lesco Renovator. Mixing the seed with the dirt and debris it takes up. The seed gets into the slits when you water it later.. Once you replace a blade on the Mataway the alignment for the cutting blades and discs is gone..After that the back discs are just to keep the front wheels down on the ground. The thing was designed for golf courses and later made to work on home lawns. I was there. and operated the first one. You really get your good application and seed soil contact by going over the lawn twice..Ryan, Lesco, Turfco, etc etc they are all basically the same except the way they operated and what they cost.
Turfcobob

jim edwards
11-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Our company is a manufacturer of slit seeder blades. No equipment, just blades. From a popular standpoint, Claussen and Bluebird are machines we get the most requests for replacements. Very few for Lesco. From my little knowledge on equipment, all are fairly durable.

upidstay
11-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I like the Ryan. Does a great job. It is also a heck of alot more money than the Lesco (close to twice the $$) and it sure is a bear to run. I find myself and my guys were a lot less tired after running the Lesco all day.