PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Lawnaire IV Price???

The Greenskeep
10-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Looking at getting a Ryan Lawnaire IV - dealer asking $3000.00 new, $1400.00 used - Curious to know what you all were paying?

Is this in the ballpark price wise?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
The Greenskeep

eruuska
10-15-2005, 10:30 PM
If you're looking at an aerator, don't get the LA IV. I rented one a couple times, and it just about kicked my a$$. For 3 grand you should be able to get into a Plugr PL800. There was someone who ordered several too many, and was selling them here on Lawnsite for around $2600 or $2800. If you did a search I'm sure you could find it, maybe he's got some left.

lilslay3
10-16-2005, 06:46 AM
I just purchased a B-2600 from Lesco and am very happy with it!It does a nice job & costs about $2100.

jajwrigh
10-16-2005, 10:41 AM
I agree, do not buy that aerator! Rent one and use it on a dozen or so accounts then decide...

Lawn-Scapes
10-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I can't answer your question Greens..... just want to comment that I have used the LA IV and had no problems. Easy to use.. if you know how. :)

ronniez71
12-24-2005, 11:13 PM
The plugr is the best to go with!! Go to plugr .com awsome aerator!!

TURF DOCTOR
12-24-2005, 11:38 PM
We have a lesco renovater used it today simple to use and run, starts 1 pull or 2 i recommend this 1

6'7 330
12-25-2005, 07:15 AM
We have several LA IV Ryan’s. We acquired them new in 1996 and 1997.The best I can remember we paid 1600 back then. The pro’s to the unit are, less moving parts then many of the cam-driven, and you can’t hardly ware them out. Replacing tynes and an occasional water drum, or chain, and you’re back rolling. In addition, if engine blows slap another on there ,and you’re plugging and back in business.

Among the negatives the Ryan is a bear for the workers to operate, operator fatigue will be high. The machine will only pull nine holes to a thousand square feet, making it necessary to do two passes for a proper aeration job.

Turfdude
01-01-2006, 09:37 PM
We have several LA IV Ryanís. We acquired them new in 1996 and 1997.The best I can remember we paid 1600 back then. The proís to the unit are, less moving parts then many of the cam-driven, and you canít hardly ware them out. Replacing tynes and an occasional water drum, or chain, and youíre back rolling. In addition, if engine blows slap another on there ,and youíre plugging and back in business.

Among the negatives the Ryan is a bear for the workers to operate, operator fatigue will be high. The machine will only pull nine holes to a thousand square feet, making it necessary to do two passes for a proper aeration job.
THe machine pulls a few more holes than 9 in 1000 sq.ft. I hope.

Only a girl in a skirt (kilt) would get worn out w/ this unit. :p lol - j/k

Anyway we have said unit. Works well as stated above. It is better on lawns 10K or more as it does wear you out making turns on smaller properties. The longer th runs, the easier it is. It is a very reliable unit and good money maker. Smaller guys(under 180#'s) would probably tire more quickly w/ this unit and may wear out making turns if doing multiple small properties in a single day. (6'2" 205) - don't hurt me big guy!!

Bengo
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
The Ryan Lawnaire IV's and V's pull approx 9 plugs per sq ft which is basically the industry standard. I have several Lawnaire V's and love them. I don't have any IV's. I can get the bigger machines into 99% of the places the smaller IV and get 7.5" extra every pass which adds up bigtime over the course of a season. I purchased my last machine in the spring of 2005 and paid approx $2600( $2340 actually as I get 10 % on any purchase from a local dealer) new so $3000 sounds somewhat high for a 19" Lawnaire IV.. I feel the Ryan products are engineered and balanced well so it doesn't take a bull to handle one....just look at it as good excercise and plug on.

Turfdude
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Come to think of it, mine is the LA V & not the LA IV. Lots of toys, just don't have time to use/inventory them all.

J&R Landscaping
01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Ryan products are very good and you won't be dissapointed! Price sounds about right too!

Turfco Tim
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
If you are tired of being tired from aerating you have to try a TurnAer from Turfco. The TurnAer is steerable, virtually eliminating lifting and lowering. It even has an optional sulky to ride larger areas.
If you consider aeration a form of excercise we do manufacture traditional aerators. The Aerator 20 (20") is $2,265 plus shipping (approx. $140). The Pro-26 (26") is $2,545 plus shipping (approx. $140).

Contact us at 1-800-679-8201.

Tim Gray
Turfco

Jason Rose
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Very good machines. Ditto on everything Bill said (the big guy in the kilt). Except the 2 passes thing. Iv'e asked numerous people about that and all of them (other than on here) said that 1 pass was all you need. I mentioned going over it twice and I got looked at like I was nuts. Fine by me, they will eat your lunch, and the bigger V will really do ya in!

I have an ancient Lawnaire IV. It needs new bushings and bearings throughout and the engine runs but if you operate on much of a slope it will smoke you out! The spoons (tines) are good and the drum is a steel one (that really tells you how old it is) That can at least be spot welded if it starts to leak. Though if the ground is moist we don't need the waterweight anyway.

I do like the plugr cam areators but since the areator I have is paid for and I don't use it that much I guess I will just put the parts into it and keep it for another 10 years.

That price of $3,000 does seem high too. Seems like I remember $2,400 to $2,600 for a LA IV.

turfcobob
01-31-2006, 12:04 PM
You guys better go check out the new Turfco units. The TurnAer units have been out three years and they are great. You drive them like a mid size mower and you can ride behind them. They sell them direct. I ordered mine and had it in a week in a box and ready to go. I am 58 yrs old and can run it all day...You drive it with brakes like a mower and on the big lawns I put the sulky behind it and go like hell. One time I did over 5 acres in 3.5 hours without breaking a sweat.

They cost a little more but believe me they are easy to run and much more productive then any aerator Ive run the past 30 years. See them at Turfco.com or you can call them and get a CD

The Friendly Green
04-12-2006, 11:55 PM
I just picked up a brand new Lawnaire IV for $3000 even. Although that's Canadian.

I've worked with a few different types, but I've found the Ryan Lawnaire's work the best for a walk behind.

turfcobob
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
When you guys get tired of fighting the old technology in walk behind aerators then try the TurnAers from Turfco (turfco.com). They have split drive technology using a differential and braking so you can drive them. Yes you can drive them and ride behind them on a sulky while you aerate at up to 6 mph. Fast effective and easy to operate. I know I am 58 yrears old with a bad back and I can aerate over an acre an hour with mine and not be in pain. I just hop on and go round and round makin holes and cores.
Turfcobob

kemmer
05-13-2007, 04:28 PM
When you guys get tired of fighting the old technology in walk behind aerators then try the TurnAers from Turfco (turfco.com). They have split drive technology using a differential and braking so you can drive them. Yes you can drive them and ride behind them on a sulky while you aerate at up to 6 mph. Fast effective and easy to operate. I know I am 58 yrears old with a bad back and I can aerate over an acre an hour with mine and not be in pain. I just hop on and go round and round makin holes and cores.
Turfcobob

how do you think the turfco aerators compare to the plugr aerators, i havent tried either but im wondering how they compare