PDA

View Full Version : Sugar in Gas

rbriggs
10-16-2005, 02:51 PM
FYI:
We received a dose of sugar in the gas tank of two of our trucks a couple of weeks ago. Although we can't prove it, we suspect it was the act of an employee we recently terminated. It was a few hundred dollar fix, but the trucks are back up and running.
I would highly recommend that you all get yourselves locking gas caps. It's a cheap investment, given the alternative. With competition popping up everyday, it does't take much to disable your trucks for a week or two.
Caps are available for approx. $10 to $20 each at any truck center or even Walmart (depending on the type of cap you need).

Guthrie&Co
10-16-2005, 03:24 PM
what kind of damage did u get?

LB1234
10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
friend of mine pulled into the gas station with his hummer...the real deal...not the POS imitation...

idiot attendent filled it with regular. After driving one block thing died. Few thousand bucks later it was fixed. Needless to say the attorney says he has pretty much a shut and closed case b/c the gas station had cameras...

DBL
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
does sugar effect diesel engines or just gas engines

rbriggs
10-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Oh, it effects diesel engines too. The old myth about sugar seizing engines is just that......a myth. Not true. But there is a chance of some pretty signifigant damage if the sugar gets past the fuel filters (ie. damage to fuel injectors, etc.). However, diesels are equipped with some heavy duty filtering systems, and therefore, it was a matter of cleaning out the fuel tank, changing the filters, and flushing it through. Truck seems to be running fine now. However, I am told that sand in the gas tank is detrimental. So get the locking gas caps. It's a cheap investment in your equipment.

Restrorob
10-16-2005, 05:55 PM
When I was a teen one of my buddys had sugar put in his tank (small block chevy) and he knew nothing about it till the engine started loosing power.
We pulled the heads and found the sugar had baked to the top of the pistons and would break off scoring the cylinders up pretty bad, Had trouble trying to figure out what it was until I chipped a piece off and put it on my tong.
But I just can't remember if it actually seized or not. (it's hell to get old)
After that I havn't owned a vehicle to date without a locking cap, It's just safe insurance.

General Landscaping
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Locking caps only deter the lazy.....

A cordless drill, screwdriver bit, and 2" drywall screw will get it off in 15 seconds:eek:

Run the screw through the cap (not the lock) The screw locks the handle and base together.

Restrorob
10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Locking caps only deter the lazy.....

Your right about that, But the average punk kid isn't running around with a cordless drill and drywall screw so you still have a better chance with one than without. :)

General Landscaping
10-16-2005, 07:49 PM
But the average punk kid isn't running around with a cordless drill and drywall screw so you still have a better chance with one than without. :)

Your average punk kid isn't running around with a bag of sugar either. In fact; they probably have better access to a drill and screw.

LB1234
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Your average punk kid isn't running around with a bag of sugar either. In fact; they probably have better access to a drill and screw.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

DBL
10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
yeah you guys are right about kids but someone looking to get back at you will plan for this

ERIC ROBERGE
10-17-2005, 02:51 AM
If you get in the habit of leaving your keys in the locking gas cap while you are fueling you will never have the problem of watching the cap roll across a few lanes of traffic as you pull out of the gas station

hosejockey2002
10-18-2005, 10:55 PM
If you get in the habit of leaving your keys in the locking gas cap while you are fueling you will never have the problem of watching the cap roll across a few lanes of traffic as you pull out of the gas station

Ya know, if you get in the habit of putting the cap back on after you get gas you probably won't have that problem either...:laugh:

ERIC ROBERGE
10-19-2005, 02:42 AM
nothing worth doing is that easy.:dizzy: