PDA

View Full Version : The Mazda Flatbed Project

Varsity L&G
10-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, it sarted today with the removal of the bed.

Goto the steel yard this week to pick up the steel.

I will update this thread with pics and progress as the work progress's.

The idea here is to be able to get all my equiptment around with out a trailer, and be able to come home and drive in the garage with out having to unload so that I am ready to go the next morning with only having to start the truck and lock the garage.

Varsity L&G
10-16-2005, 06:10 PM
And the side view

Dirty Water
10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Those are great little trucks.

AL Inc
10-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Definitely great trucks...that was my first landscaping truck, same color and all! Good luck, keep us posted

BladeRunner1967
10-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Had a B2000 long time ago. Hit 100,000 miles and thought it was gonna nickel and dime me so I sold it. Man am I a dummy. Loved that truck. Good luck

olderthandirt
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Definitely great trucks...that was my first landscaping truck, same color and all! Good luck, keep us posted
I've thought about setting up one of the mazdas or toyota as a mowing/ maintenece truck. Any Idea what kind of milage I could expect with a 1000# on a flat bed ?
yes I know I'll have to beef the suspension up.

shepoutside
10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Have been using my 1972 B1600 truck for years, and still use it to this day. Great little trucks :)

AL Inc
10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Mac- sold that truck in 1994, I would have to say the mileage was usually around 20 mpg loaded. I wasn't as worried about the price of gas then...didn't pay as much attention as I do now! I am also sorry I sold that truck... the guy who bought it made it into a low rider:rolleyes: Mike

Varsity L&G
10-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I bought 2 of these trucks. I will convert this one for mowing and the other one for Maint. The other one is extended cab.

It is amazing how much more power these trucks have with out the bed on it.

The flatbed will have to extend about another foot past the frame rail and then I want it to angle down to cut off on the amount of ramp hanging off the back.

Still trying to plan out the racks and bins on the vehicle and how high off the frame I have to be in order to allow for wheel clearance loaded and unloaded.

The bottom will be made out of the steel screen looking stuff to cut down on weight.

The scrap yard charges .25 per pound for steel. I am hoping we can get most if not all of it there.

BSDeality
10-16-2005, 10:55 PM
if you really want to save weight get aluminum. It will cost more upfront but me relatively maintenance free and substancially lighter. The only downside is its harder to work (ie, need a special welder with some skills to back it up).

Nice, truck, i'm looking for something similar for my lightduty work

Varsity L&G
10-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Yes, I do not know how to weld aluminum, would look nice and trick though. I am lucky to weld steel. The guy helping me has a nice welder and better skills then I.

The above truck cost me 400$ plus a tune up. Needs rear tires and a new exhaust which I am going to do this week since the bed is off makes doing the exhaust very easy.

The truck will carry when finished, a wacker, edger, blower, fuel cans, a 44" WB and a 22" push.

Dirty Water
10-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Varsity, if you want to get a little more power out of it, the FE engine in it (8 valve SOHC 2.2 litre) responds real well to a nice exhaust system. If you want to go all out, get the head, intake manifold, turbocharger, and exhaust manifold of a '88-'92 Mazda MX-6. The head is 12 valve, and it will bolt to that block direct fit. Then you'll have a little turbo'd truck getting 20 mpg :)

Varsity L&G
10-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Will the above also work on the 92 or 93? The other truck I have I think is a 93 and it already needs a head gasket so this might be something I would think about doing if the cost is not that hi for the parts car or motor.

Dirty Water
10-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Will the above also work on the 92 or 93? The other truck I have I think is a 93 and it already needs a head gasket so this might be something I would think about doing if the cost is not that hi for the parts car or motor.

Not sure, at one point they switched to a different motor. If you still have a 8 valve in the '93 then it would work.

There are a few tricky parts to the swap. The distributor ends up in the firewall, so you need to either fabricate up a different drive set up for it off the cam, or cut out the firewall to clear it.

You also need to move the throttle body to the other side of the intake plenum, or run a lot of extra piping.

South Florida Lawns
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Bob the frame make a little flatbed for a fuel cell spare wheel/tire and tools, to bad its not a 4by. Thats gonna be a perfect work truck for you good idea with a flatbed, I take it you won't even need a trailer. Can't wait to see more pics.

nt1
11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Should be a good maintenance truck when completed. I have been looking into fabbing something like this as well. Keep us updated with your progress.