PDA

View Full Version : Setting up enclosed trailer for Lawn&Land

CLC
10-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Setting up enclosed trailer for Lawncare & Landscaping, 1st I want to have a power source... any suggestion would be great. Also how would you set up a enclosed trailer .. what would you have in it. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks by the way its a 8.5x20

dlandscaping
10-16-2005, 08:25 PM
I just got a 8x20 and I am going to make the front have two shelves about 1.5 ft out, the whole way across. One at 3.5ft and the other at 4.5ft. The trailer is 6.6' tall. On the left side will be a tool box in the corner, 3 ft tall. It will hold all the spare parts. I am also going to keep a toolbox (set) in there. One one side will be three trimmer racks, running the horizontal (the side w/o the side door). Then on the other side, will be two tool racks.

Lawn-Scapes
10-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Try searching the pictures forum or doing a search for enclosed trailers..

Here's one to get you started... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=31349

SouthernYankee
10-16-2005, 08:32 PM
The first two things I would do are the following;

1. if the interior walls are luan or however you spell it, GET RID OF THEM!! Replace them with some plywood, they are junk and are literally paper thin.

2. I am in the process of getting the floors on my trailer linxed, its well worth the money.

do a search there are tons of pictures here related to enclosed trailers

Branchland
10-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey Lawn-Scapes,
The pics of your enclosed trailer is nice. What did you use for the hooks for the blowers? I made my trimmer racks out of the peace you are useing for shovles. Just trying to get a way for the blowers.

Wells
10-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey Lawn-Scapes,
The pics of your enclosed trailer is nice. What did you use for the hooks for the blowers? I made my trimmer racks out of the peace you are useing for shovles. Just trying to get a way for the blowers.
Branchland,
I made racks for my enclosed trailer out of PVC sprinkler pipe fittings. I have made trimmer racks, blower racks and shovel & rake racks. If you do some searching you will find the pictures.

I'm currently in the process of developing a set of PVC racks for a open trailer. I'll throw up some pics once I get them done.

Az Gardener
10-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Be careful to give some thought to distributing the weight evenly throughout the trailer. I have a nice big shelf across the front of mine, Its just high enough for the push mowers to go under, and the guys like to put every thing on it, putting a lot of weight on the tongue of the truck. I designed it to hold the spreader and edger and back pack blower (I don't like the hose/tube having to turn so abruptly on a wall mount) as well as my lighting box and anchor box. I have gone in there and found 300 lbs of fertilizer on the damn thing and my blower in a cart:angry: :angry: arrgh!!!! So now I make it a habit to inspect the trailer at least twice a week. I used the self tapping sheet metal screws with a nut top and try to hit the studs for anchoring anything to the walls. Another nice feature of an enclosed trailer is the lights, Its great to be able to find things early in the morning. Mine is an Interstate (poor man's wells cargo) it has a outside light at the side door,an inside light and two lights outside the back ramp. They are on two switches one at the back door and one at the side door. I secure my ladders to the ceiling, I carry an 6' a-frame and a 22' extension ladder. High and tight but there when you need them. I looked at a wells cargo that was insulated when I was shopping and for our climate I will insulate the next one before I start customizing it. It made a tremendous difference. For me enclosed is the only way to go.

Az Gardener
10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Just thought I would give this one a little push. I'm always interested to see how others are doing things. I am trying to post a pic of mine but with overseeding and annual flowers just havent had time.

GarPA
10-21-2005, 03:07 AM
You've probably already thought of some of these as they are no brainers but I'll list them anyway:

- trimmers on walls at rear of trlr...easy on and off..same for hheld blwrs
- if your floor is not marine grade plywood, prime it and paint it as it will last longer after getting wet, stained which happens all too often
- if you dont have factory installed interior lights, go to WalMart and buy some closet lights..battery operated and real easy to mount on walls
- as mentioned above, make sure you balance the weight
- install about 6 floor anchors...for when you are hauling heavy things like aerators and you want things tied down securely
- a small dry erase whiteboard on wall..nice thing to have to jot down any equip issues you need to address or fix
- build wooden rack(s) and hang on walls so that you can easily put on/take off backpack sprayers...also saves the sprayers from getting beat up sitting on floor
- use a large plastic storage bin like they have for Xmas decorations to put gas cans in. Prevents them from tipping over and any spills stay off the floor
- install angle iron ( with holes in it..not sure what they call this stuff as its not really angle iron) on walls...you can slide small tools in the holes. We have 3 plastic milk crates resting on this "ledge" with a couple of screws through the sides of the crates. Makes great storage for chemicals and odds and ends plus they dont take up much room.
- wax it twice a year. Mine looks almost like new after 5 years

thats all I can think of at the moment..

Az Gardener
10-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks GarPA, There were a few things I had not seen before. I am always surprised how differently things are done through out the country. Thats why I like this web site. Never to old to learn something new. How do you get the trailer clean? I didn't wax mine when new and It always has this dark shady look even after a car wash visit with the scrubbing brush and 10.00 in quarters.