PDA

View Full Version : Over-seeding ?

bntt68
10-16-2005, 10:38 PM
I areated and overseede 4 lawns. Do they need to hold off on the crabgrass control in the spring. We have not have had any rain since I overseeded and watering is not an option due to 2 acre lots. We have had a svere drought all year here in Illinois my area is over 12 inches behind on rain for the year.

TURF DOCTOR
10-16-2005, 10:48 PM
With out water the seed will not start.

bntt68
10-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, that is why I was counting on a good germination in sring. But seeds wont germinat with a pre- emergent. I think?

Jason Rose
10-16-2005, 11:40 PM
As soon as there's moisture in the winter or later this fall, the seed will germinate. As long as it stays dry for now and dosn't get wet for 3 days and then dry again for 3 weeks, which would start it germinating and then it'd dry out and die. The only other problem is BIRDS. They tend to like grass seed.

I am always amazed at how much new grass will grow over the winter, the sunny warm days (above freezing) and the good soil moisture thats present from a recent snowfall really grows some hardy grass.

I'd wait till spring to do and assesment for the crabrass preventer. If the new grass is still small and you don't want to risk it there are a few products out there that are preemegents labeled for use with newely seeded grass. Then, in a month you can apply your regular preemergent to get thru the season.

bntt68
10-17-2005, 12:22 PM
How much damage will winter do to new seedlings?

indyturf
10-19-2005, 10:07 PM
if we have 6-8 weeks of mild weather and enough rain for germanation, this should be enough time for the grass to take root and should be very little damage to worry about this winter.