PDA

View Full Version : prob with lawn

garth1967
10-17-2005, 07:58 AM
would anyone know how to fix a lawn that has burn patches from dog poop and pee new owners have moved in and there is no dog anymore

TURFLORD
10-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Too late this year. It should clear up by itself next season. Apply some fert to help it grow out.

garth1967
10-17-2005, 08:18 AM
it is mid spring here

NickN
10-17-2005, 08:20 AM
NO,don't apply fertilizer.It will burn even more.The urea level of the dog is what burned the grass to begin with.You certainly don't want to add nitrogen to it.
If you have a rhizome spreading grass,apply generous amounts of water to the area,to dilute the urea,and let the grass fill in.
If you have a bunch type grass,you'll need to water heavily for a few days and then add seed or sod.

garth1967
10-17-2005, 08:23 AM
its a couch grass the rest of it is in good condition

TURFLORD
10-17-2005, 08:32 AM
NO,don't apply fertilizer.It will burn even more.The urea level of the dog is what burned the grass to begin with.You certainly don't want to add nitrogen to it.
If you have a rhizome spreading grass,apply generous amounts of water to the area,to dilute the urea,and let the grass fill in.
If you have a bunch type grass,you'll need to water heavily for a few days and then add seed or sod.
The damage he's refering to is usually 4" in diameter and is caused by amonia is the urine not nitrogen. The chemical burn will break down in about a month. If the lawn is fertilized apply nothing. If not, applicating the lawn will help to mask the problem. Any additional burn will be undetectable. Fert will help the healthy grass creep back in that much faster.

NickN
10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
I know what dog urine burns looks like :DI also know that as the urea is diluted,the grass will come back plenty green(assuming it's a rhizome type grass).No need for fertilizer.Adding nitrogen to an area that already has too much urea will only cause more harm.

joshua
10-18-2005, 01:13 AM
counting that nitrogen is among the faster leaching macro nutrients in soil fert. wouldn't hurt

garth1967
10-18-2005, 03:07 AM
mixed response but thats ok i thought maybe the grass was gone for good we getting plenty of ran at the moment i will see how things go thanks for the imput though not much opportunity for networking here this site has been helpful theres alot of other questions i would like to ask like what is sod and what is stripeing hows that for starters

Varsity L&G
10-18-2005, 03:43 AM
When our dog goes out in the yard it does turn brown after a few days but then usually with in a week you would never know were she pee'ed at.

Varsity L&G
10-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Did find this doing a google search though:
ordinary sugar is the best treatment for dog spots. If I remember correctly, the high carbon in sugar neutralizes the high nitrogen of dog pee. I don't remember the amount you should use - a handful?

and then some more:
high frucose cose corn suger will take those brown outs to a srceaming halt... left over soda, juice, molassas, beer, simple syrup , will kill the brown-outs

and one more from turfgrass.com:
If it is truly dog pee, the problem is the urine has so much nitrogen in it it turns the balance of soil chemistry such that there is too much nitrogen and not enough carbon. You can add carbon to the soil by adding either molasses or table sugar. I use a heaping handful on each spot for my dog's pee spots.

NickN
10-18-2005, 10:24 AM
joshua,research the chemical compounds of urea and you'll find that Nitrogen makes up almost 50%.Now,why would he want to add MORE nitrogen to an area that is saturated in it?Dog urea is like a fast release liquid fertilizer.When the dog does its business,it concentrates the urine in one area.Especially a female dog,who emptys her bladder in one spot when urinating.Male dogs usually mark different areas as they urinate.