PDA

View Full Version : How much seed needed for aerating 5000 sq feet

SeacoastDesignsL&L
10-17-2005, 07:49 PM
im trying to figure out the cost for seed to overseed some lawns. About how much seed is needed to aerate 5000 sq feet?

J&R
10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
No seed is need to aerate a lawn.HaHa!
To over seed 5000 sf about 50lbs of seed.

lewdo
10-17-2005, 10:25 PM
15-25# depending on how bare the lawn is now.

Darryl G
10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I say 25 to 35 pounds figuring 5 to 7 lbs/1000, but I would buy a 50lb bag.

joshua
10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
to much seed 15-25 is more than enough.

Darryl G
10-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Let's keep in mind that we all live in different areas and use different seed that has different application rates and we don't know what the existing turf looks like. Not to mention that it's getting kind of late to be seeding in Seacoast's area, so germination may be on the low side.

When in doubt, you can always check the bag or supplier for recommended application rates.

ProLawns
10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
If you're seeding fescue the rule of thumb is 5 lbs. per thousand square feet if you're overseeding turf that is at least 50% established and 10 lbs. per thousand for very week turf or a new lawn. So you need between 25 and 50 pounds.

indyturf
10-19-2005, 12:55 AM
I would use 25lb seed and charge $15.00 per k each. total price $150.00

topsites
10-19-2005, 02:03 AM
im trying to figure out the cost for seed to overseed some lawns. About how much seed is needed to aerate 5000 sq feet?

If it's aerated, 25lbs of 90% germ.rate fescue (such as a Lesco brand) or 50 lbs. of 80% germ.rate fescue (such as Ky.31). Keep in mind Ky.31 has gone up in price and is 0.4% weed while the better 90% germ.rate brands are generally 0.1% weed (4x less weed seeds). Much as it may appear odd, in my experience I have learned the 90% germ seeds appear to have roughly TWICE the germination rate when compared to the 80% stuff... Maybe it's not that much better, but I can SEE the difference everyday... If you really want to go nuts, go for the 95% stuff but be warned it gets expensive now (I caught a few 50lb bags on sale for the same price as 90% so that's how I come by it IF I get it) the 95% stuff may be found in the Premium / Deluxe or Rebel III classes.

I would recommend asking your outdoor equipment dealer (that's who I asked) about someone in the area who sells stuff like this to Lawncare guys because I found a place that sells really nice Certified U.of Oregon 90% fescue blend for like $1 / pound, that's 50 dollars for 50lbs. of high-grade stuff vs. 70 dollars at Home Depot, PLUS they help me LOAD it :)

That's the easy way, I always buy 50lb. bags because it's the most economical / pound, then the only question is: HALF the bag or the WHOLE bag. I just don't got time to fool with ratios of 5, 10, 15 or 20 pounds and odd numbers... For me it's half or whole: blam!

Cost-wise, I charge $2/pound, so 50 bucks for half a bag, 100 for the whole thing and that's everything so it eliminates lots of bs. That's not a bad deal for either customer or myself, they would pay at least $40/25lbs. or $70/50lbs for the same stuff just in materials alone.

topsites
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Let's keep in mind that we all live in different areas and use different seed that has different application rates and we don't know what the existing turf looks like. Not to mention that it's getting kind of late to be seeding in Seacoast's area, so germination may be on the low side.

When in doubt, you can always check the bag or supplier for recommended application rates.

IF the yard is aerated (it really needs to be) then you can technically seed as late as you want to because the seeds get trapped inside the holes which close within a few weeks... Keep in mind even now MOST of it will not come up until spring (and you may wish to tell the customer this). I would add a fair dose of starter fertilizer (some 14-28-10 or thereabouts), say 50 lbs. of that and maybe 50-100 lbs. of either dolomitic lime or a neutral fert-complementer (like a calcium/magnesium based 0-0-0).
I'll seed a yard as late as November, I also seed them in March and April.
However, if you're in a northern climate it is possible freezing temps may fuxor with the seed, this I know nothing about.

One other thing: For the germ.rate/weed %, this detail should be printed on the tag ALL seed bags have this ~3x4 thin cardboard tag.