PDA

View Full Version : is it to late to seed in ohio?

northwest lawn
10-18-2005, 12:07 AM
just wondering if its to late to aerate and overseed. the weather is calling for high sixtys to low seventies. will it germinate?

Runner
10-18-2005, 12:10 AM
It's getting late, but you can still get some great germination and enough to grow to harden off.. The soil temps aren't going to drop and stay below 55 for quite some time. Don't forget, we probably have a real nice Indian summer coming, as well.

joshua
10-18-2005, 01:07 AM
October 10 is the deadline, but i'm still seeding everyday this week, praying for no hard frost. straight 4 way rye 90% germ. rate. pre soaking it. 2 days and germ. is taking place

turfcobob
10-19-2005, 03:21 PM
You want the ground temp at 50 or better for good germination..Take into consideration the nighttime temps and it takes approx 3 weeks for bluegrass or fescue to germ...What do you think..WEather going to hold out for you?

I would guess it is getting pretty iffy this late...But may be worth the try...never know when you will get 3 / 4 weeks of nice warm weather.
Turfcobob

Runner
10-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Also, don't forget the frost factor that kill seedlings with no problem. If they are not mature enough to harden off, they will just die. Personally, I would just go for it.

northwest lawn
10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
we ended up doing it we are praying the temps hold out but i talked to a kid in one of my classes that works for a huge lco and he says there still seeding every day so im hoping i dont get burned on it