PDA

View Full Version : Dormant seeding

nate1422
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
I know it is too early for me to dormant seed but what is the general opinion of doing this for cool season grasses? Is it better to get the seed down in late fall/early winter or to just get an early start in spring before the ground thaws? I was researching this and a link I came across mentions getting the seed down when soil temps go below 50 F and the seed cannot fully germinate. At this point it can still absorb water and start to germinate before freezing for the winter. Then, when the seed thaws in spring and the ground heave settles you are about 4 weeks ahead of the game with good seed/soil contact and that is what makes this a successful practice.

Any info/experiences to share?

BladeRunner1967
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I too would like to know. Got a guy that wants me to aerate and seed now.

nate1422
10-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I think around us, it has been a warm fall and people are forgetting it could be really cold soon, the forcast is for overnight lows in the 30's later this week and I have neighbors that are now just seeding their own lawns with TTTF. Sorry, not to get off subject but its late in the growing season now so if dormant seeding works, that is probably the best bet.

TURF DOCTOR
10-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Fall of the year is the best in the spring it has many things beating it down

BSDeality
10-18-2005, 11:10 PM
seed in the winter, this way it will work its way into the soil with freeze/thaw. come springtime your seedlings are set to sprout. just don't use pre-M's

zipp669
10-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Here in iowa it was 77 on Tues., 60 today & suppose to be 50 on Sat.
Seeded a 2000 sq lawn patch (did the reat on oct 7) & a 15000 sf on Tuesday.
Today seeded & graded 20000 sf & have been working on 6 acres since monday, hopefully done tomorrow. Blowing straw on it so it takes time.
MY opinion is now is the perfect time to put seed in the ground.
Still have a couple more to do & will do them still this year.
Have a football field to dethatch, aerate & overseed next week, two homes to grade & seed and another football field to do, all next week.
I suggest to the homeowner to start lightly watering to get some germination. this week though I have not as it will be 27 sunday morn.

TURFLORD
10-20-2005, 06:48 AM
If the seed won't germinate til the Spring why do it now? All Winter things like erosion and animal foraging will affect your outcome. Prolonged snow cover will cause even more loss. IMO it's not worth doing until Spring.