PDA

View Full Version : Should I bill the guy for my time today?

sheshovel
10-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Well,last week I ordered 4 tons of large boulder to be delivered to a job and we agreed on 9:00 am Tues for the delivery and I was there at 8:00 to prepare and wait for the delivery.I had not used this company before,but my regular rock guy dident have what I needed this time so I thought I would try this guy Sierra Boulders ,Gave him a weeks notice and GUESS WHAT?He never showed and did not call.I waited all day for him there ,did every little job I could there but I had to get the boulders in before I could proceed any further with the landscape.
So now I am PISSED OFF and am wondering if I should bill him for $360.00,for all the time that I had to waste waiting for him today,it was a job out in the boonies and I was hungry but worried if I went to eat he would show so I starved all day .
Question: How would you handle this?
Try to call for the 4th time and leave more messages and try to reschedual?,
cancel the order completely though I NEED those boulders bad,?
Or cancel and bill him for my time at the job today?

SodKing
10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
It depends. If you signed an order form with the delivery time specified, I would bill him. You could consider it a breach of contract. If it was a phone order call the SOB up and tell him he won't get your business and that when someone asks for large boulders you won't be referring him.

olderthandirt
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I doubt the owner was the one driving the truck or doing the schelduling so I would work my way up the ladder till I found the one that wanted to make it right. It would then be between you two to decide what is right. My suggestion would be on the second order he should deduct the amount of $$$ you lost today

1MajorTom
10-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Why didn't you call at 10:00am to find out what the delay was? You could have found out right then if they had forgotten or what the problem was.
He is definitely wrong, but a simple phone call from you would have at least not held you hostage there all day.

PROCUT1
10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
You can bill him but I sure he'll just laugh at it

NickN
10-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I've had that happen,only with sod.Called the owner and he had forgotton about the order.Needless to say,I had my sod within the hour.
Now,I always call one day prior to delivery to insure they have me scheduled.Nothing like sitting in front of a client looking like a horses ass waiting on a delivery.
Just can't depend on some people.I've also visited other sod farms and set up accounts so I always have backups.

DVS Hardscaper
10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
If something is 30 - 45 minutes late for delivery I call simply to verify that they are on their way.

As much as we all hate it - You gotta BABYSIT!

topsites
10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't babysit, I don't wait around, I got better things to do with my time than playing phone b!7ch wondering where my stuff is, not to mention I don't like it when someone else gets to deliver stuff (because I NEVER know what's coming as I did not see the stuff got loaded). Hell, just wait until you get the wrong stuff, or it's not enough or it's way too much, and what if they CAN'T pick it back up, no way... What if the customer orders 14 yards of topsoil but tells ME it's 12 yards: I got NO way of knowing the difference from looking at a pile.

IF I allow someone else to make the delivery, I allow the entire day for the delivery... I NEVER count on a specific time as I know people all too well... So they SAY they're going to have it there MONDAY? Good, I'll call the customer monday evening and see if they got the stuff, see...
FTS brother I don't wait on NOBODY and this is one reason I don't care for someone else delivering the supplies: If it doesn't fit in my trailer, maybe I don't need to mess with it. But one thing's for sure, I NEVER go out to nobody's house until someone can confirm the supplies have indeed arrived, then maybe I go out there the next day.

Hey did you know you can insert php code? wow...

bigviclbi
10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I make it a point to have them call me when they are leaving the yard to deliver, as 9 out of 10 times I'm not on site. I highly doubt they are gonna pay you anything, but I WOULD ***** and see if they will deliver for free.Good Luck.

sheshovel
10-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Why didn't you call at 10:00am to find out what the delay was? You could have found out right then if they had forgotten or what the problem was.
He is definitely wrong, but a simple phone call from you would have at least not held you hostage there all day.

I did call I called 4 times three different #'s the cell # given to me,the office# and the guys personal pager#..All answering machines..
What do you think I'm an idiot?Of course I called,I also called yesterday to confirm,again answering machines and no call back.
It would be awfull difficult for me to get 4 Tons of boulder in my truck and then to get them back out and place them because of the fact that I don't have a
crane on my truck for delivering huge boulders and this guy does.The delivery site was in a yard over a block wall and needed a crane,there was no possibility of any other options with this,you needed the truck with the crane.Period.

1MajorTom
10-18-2005, 11:38 PM
I did call I called 4 times three different #'s the cell # given to me,the office# and the guys personal pager#..All answering machines..
What do you think I'm an idiot?Of course I called,I also called yesterday to confirm,again answering machines and no call back.
Hey I'm not a mind reader, you didn't say anything in your previous post about calling OR confirming the order a day before hand. Now you tell us. :rolleyes:

sheshovel
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I thought I covered that when I said
"Try to call for the 4th time and leave a message?"

skidmaster
10-19-2005, 06:47 AM
It's very simple........From now on research before you try to develop. Establish a relationship with a company and let them know you mean business. (IN A NICE WAY OF COURSE). For example, let them be aware of what you are telling us, and your dismay. They will tell from your tone and demeanor that you will not be focked with, that you expect quality service in a timely manner.. And that if they run into a problem, they will call you immediately and give you a timeframe. Hope it works out for you!

Dirty Water
10-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't babysit, I don't wait around, I got better things to do with my time than playing phone b!7ch wondering where my stuff is, not to mention I don't like it when someone else gets to deliver stuff (because I NEVER know what's coming as I did not see the stuff got loaded). Hell, just wait until you get the wrong stuff, or it's not enough or it's way too much, and what if they CAN'T pick it back up, no way...

Righto....Let see you put 4 tons of boulders into your Dodge? :)

Sheshovel, that would only be like, 2 good sized rocks in my book. What size stone did you order?

sheshovel
10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
John,I thought I answered this yesterday but now my reply is not here.Wierd.
I ordered 1-3'x3'x4' columner and 2-3x3' mounded or round