PDA

View Full Version : trenching questions

orionkf
10-18-2005, 10:57 PM
A few questions for everyone out there.

1. When you're installing 4" corrugated drain pipe, and you are going to be driving over it with machines or trucks, how deep do you go to make sure that it will not get crushed? Mostly I'm talking about when you have to spread dirt and run a soil conditioner to prep a yard.

2. Or does anyone prep first, then trench?

3. Perforated or solid?

4. Does anyone bother to clean the "crumbs" out of the trench before laying the pipe?

If this has already been discussed ad nauseam, please refer me to the thread, otherwise I'd like to hear from as many people as possible. Thanks!

sheshovel
10-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Well ya don't drive over it at all in the 1st place,I wouldent be running drainage of that type under a lawn.Cuz what's the diff if you run over it prepping for a lawn,or the homeowner or lawn guy drives over it while mowing,?either way it's gonna crush.
So you need to run the drain away from the lawn area someway.Or use a different stronger solid pipe,is it off a downspout?

orionkf
10-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Do they not have the black corrugated pipe where you are? Pretty common practice around here. They use it for extending the downspouts from the house, to the edge of the property, so that when it rains, peoples yards don't wash away. This is especially helpful on newly seeded lawns. If it's buried deep enough, you can run over it multiple times with an 8000 lb skidsteer while you are soil conditioning, and moving dirt. 4" PVC pipe would be prohibitively expensive, when you are running several hundred feet of it, but thank you for the suggestion.

mdvaden
10-19-2005, 12:45 AM
See my signature...

Go to my site, then articles, then the big articles page, then scroll to the drain line article.

If you pick albums from the menu - see the last album or so. It shows how nice the soil was in Portland to carve out a drain line trench. Slow draining, but very diggable.

I'm in Medford now - the east side hill is so chunky crumbly in places - I'm not sure that my advice article can fully apply, but I'd try. Other areas here are better in the flat lands.

Yes, you can drive over the drain line once buried with rock provided the item is like a pickup for weight. If we do the math - weight bearing down on surface areas - a 4000 lb. truck puts as little PSI on the soil surface as I would standing on the ball of one foot. I weigh 240 lbs.

The truck tires contact area is much larger per tire and with the weight distributed to all 4 tires - that's not much pressure. By the time a line is buried a foot down, I'd feel safe to take an 8,000 lb. tractor over it, and a 20,000 lb. machine on tracks over it.

There are pros and cons to solid or perforated, but each has it's own use and the perforated bends easier.

Dirty Water
10-19-2005, 12:47 AM
4" ADS Correguated will be fine, just bury it 12 inches or so down.

Sheshovel, 4" ADS is just as strong as SDR-35, which is the PVC option.

orionkf
10-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses guys

PurpHaze
10-21-2005, 08:37 AM
See my signature...

Go to my site, then articles, then the big articles page, then scroll to the drain line article.

Nice album Darth Vader. <jk> :)