PDA

View Full Version : Sick Blue Juniper Trees

zinkjo
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with these trees?

br1dge
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
They are dead! lol Seriously, I would say mites, but no way to know for sure from looking at a picture - best of luck

jameson
10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with these trees?

zinkjo

Bunch of guesses from afar here but I am wondering if they were recently planted (I believe I saw a tag in one of the pics): If so when? Was it done in summer (drought conditions)? Were their roots kept moist? Who planted them? Are they root-bound? How often were they watered/irrigation system? Transplant shock? How was the soil prep or was there? Lots "stuff" to consider if recently planted. This is square one to begin sleuthing, when you have 3 plants exhibiting same symptoms.

FYI: Junipers have various and sundry diseases: mites, phytopthora, twig blights, drought stress etc..

James

PurpHaze
10-20-2005, 12:51 AM
They are dead! lol Seriously, I would say mites, but no way to know for sure from looking at a picture - best of luck

LOL... Saying juniper varieties might have mites is like saying Canadians might live in Canada. :D

zinkjo
10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
they were planted in june/july and watered daily by the customer. my company planted them, so i can vouch for the proper planting. we installed 9 of them and 2 are showing the problems just within the last 3-4 weeks. i don't know anything about tree problems. how do i detect mites?

PurpHaze
10-20-2005, 09:12 AM
i don't know anything about tree problems. how do i detect mites?

I'm not saying that these junipers do have mites but it's quite common and you can elemintae them as suspects very easily. You'll need a loop (I use a 20x) magnifier and you examine the underneath sides of the leafy areas to see them. Mites are often accompanied by thready "webbing" that is also noticeable. Another method is to put a sheet of paper on the ground and then knock the leaves and mites will fall onto the paper where you can see them in contrast to the paper. IF these junipers have mites they can be treated either with biological predators or via pesticide.

treedoc1
10-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Junipers in the shade, too close to a fence and mulched with marble chips?

Pull one out and check the roots...too much water will show the same above ground symptom as not enough. Black mushy equals too much, tan dusty equals not enough, if they were container junipers were they pot bound?, if B&B did the ball get cracked from mishandling?

All very basic questions to answer.

mdvaden
10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
If it's mites, you won't see a clear-cut difference like dead within and live without.

I think you have combo issue from plant to plant. Possible problem and non-problem combined.

Flagging or natural shedding inside one plant.

Possible lack of water causing browing on another, or maybe mites.

Irregular browning can be caused by lack of moisture - happens to arborvitaes installed in summer all the time due to huge top foliage bulk versus little root balls.

Mite damage when seen can be too late to help. But on evergreens, hold white paper under foliage, shake, and look for dust that moves.

sheshovel
10-20-2005, 11:34 PM
If you planted them in June/July and the customer watered them everyday tell now they are drownding.

NNJLandman
10-21-2005, 12:26 AM
To much water? Maybe that area got some puddling or something or could it be colder weather. Just two suggestions since these changes occured in the time period you said. I had an arb start drouping on one job, just doesnt look right, gonna replace it.

Jeff

Dreams To Designs
10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Zinkjo, what type of soil is it? Did you do any soil preparations or amending? What species of Juniper are these? What are the sun/shade conditions? As for the stone or white marble mulch, that can & will be a problem. The stone traps heat and can reflect light up to the undersides of the leaves which is unnatural and will create leaf scorch. If your are near Middletown, Morris county, you probably have rocky clay soil and all that watering and rain has drown those plants. If you are near Middletown, Monmouth county, you most likely have sandier soil so you still may have too much water, but there may be another reason. fill in the blanks and I think you will get better answers, rather than educated guesses.

Kirk