PDA

View Full Version : Pool Side

Ground Rules
03-22-2001, 07:19 AM
I have an existing customer who installed an inground pool last summer/fall.

This Spring they will more than likely ask me to design and install walks (possibly), shrubs, flowers, etc.

Anyone in the Northeast region have any plans or ideas that have worked well for them in the past?

Anyone, regardless of location, have any good resources for this type of installation?

diginahole
03-22-2001, 08:20 AM
Pools often pose many design headaches. The biggest being drainage. Often poolside patios require installing a catchbasin to deal with the runoff. Homeowners will be on the phone immediatly when their trees start dropping things in the pool or when bits of mulch blow in. Use the tidiest plants that you can think of. Pool companies measure very carfully in order to set the top of the pool so it will need 2 1/2 steps somewhere, always a design issue. Count on settlement around the perimeter of poured concrete decks, you will be back next year to lift this area. When installing pavers around the deck try to jam as much gravel under the deck as you can. A strip of filter cloth here couldn't hurt either. In a perfect world landscapers would be consulted before a pool was installed, and would work in conjunction with the pool companies. To bad we live here in the real world.

steveair
03-22-2001, 08:36 AM
Hello,

Pools have endless possibilities for design.

I would first start with functional design. Where is the pool located in the yard and how are they going to get to it. A walk may be needed to go from the house, or if it is father away in the yard, possibly just a patio/walk around the pool will be needed.

Keep into account factors such as sun, shade, and do not forget PRIVACY. If it is in the back yard, and one side of the pool gets the afternoon sun, then you may want to design a 'sun bathing' area on that side, with the other side of the pool patio being more or less a walk. If the house is in a neighborhood, then they want to consider privacy, so you may need to consider some sort of hedge, fence, or other structure to block out pesty neighbors.

On the subject of fence, don't forget about it. Most pools, by law, require a fence around them. A lot of designs are done without planning for a fence, and then as a after thought, it is put in. Definitely incorporate one into the the layout at the start of the project if a fence is going to be required.

For pavement materials, you have many options. Pavers, concrete, stone, etc. The hardest part is usually the coping around the pool. Most paver companies have 'bull nose' pavers that can be used around the edge. If your masonry skills aren't quite that good, then you can sub out that part and have like 2 ft wide'apron' of conc/brick/etc done around the pool and then do pavers off of that. Did a job once where we had 'cool decking' (a epoxy type finish on concrete that does not get hot in the summer) around the pool and then ran pavers off of that. Also, with the new pool covers out there that are anchored into the pavement, it made a solid base for the anchors as I have seen pavers get pulled out over time by the covers.

When designing the patio, just keep in mind traffic patterns. If people are going to have a table and chairs set up, then be sure to leave enough room so that people can walk by and not fall in the pool. Simple things like this can lead to a much better design.

As for plants, the sky is the limit, but I always try to keep it colorful. Pools, especially in the N.H. I imagine, are not used all year. You can design more for color and summer interest rather than say a foundation planting in front of a house that is more year round. What I mean is, lots of perennials, annuals, etc, with less evergreen type material. Also, I always try to stay away from large deciduous trees, as leaves falling the pool will eventually become a problem (Unless some shade is required, then you can plant some larger trees at a distance from the pool to provide cover from the sun).

Ok, said enough here. Good luck.

steveair

Lanelle
03-24-2001, 12:29 AM
Steveair,
Wondering if you have found a good way of dealing with the anchors so they don't move the pavers? I'm working on a project right now that will pose this problem. I figured on having to bond the pavers together around the anchors. What is the best way to secure the anchors so they don't exert too much pressure on the pavers? If I really get going on this project I'll try to take some pictures of the 'before', 'during' and 'after'. The existing concrete deck is a real mess.

steveair
03-24-2001, 02:03 PM
Lanelle,

The job we did had a apron around the pool that was almost 6 ft wide, so we were able to put the anchors into that directly. Usually, the anchors are set fairly far away from the edge.

Unless you know exactly where they are going to put the anchors, which is hard because the covers are sometimes custom made, I would think your idea of boding the pavers together would be best.

The anchors do not pull the pavers out immediately, but will over time.

Another idea, would be pouring small concrete footers under the pavers and boding the pavers to that later on where they decide to place the anchors. A little more work, but a proffesional little touch.

steveair.

Guido
03-24-2001, 03:37 PM
I am going to mix a bunch of your ideas together and come up with the hybrid anchoring method for a paver patio!

I would pour concrete underneath the pavers in the area (about 1 sq. ft.) and then when they anchor the cover down have them drill through the paver and anchor into the small concrete slab.

Like said in an earlier post, this would require co-ordination with other contractors more than likely, and we know that its easier said than done, but its always an option.