PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall layout questions

Electra_Glide
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Good morning,

I've build a few retaining walls, but I have a job that starts in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking for some advice on how to handle some things I've never run across in any of my previous projects.

The wall will be built using weathered Versa-Lok standard block and caps. It's 26' long and just over 2' high (four exposed courses plus cap) with an outside corner at each end.

1) Every-other course will require one less-than-full-sized block somewhere along the course. Do you guys just split the last one in the middle to get it to fit, or do you take out the difference over several block in order to make everything look more uniform?

2) I was planning on just daylighting the drain tile through either the front or side of the wall by core-drilling one of the block and covering it with screen, but I'm concerned about standing water around the base of the wall. Unfortunately, there's nowhere else to run the pipe.

3) Up to now, all the walls I've done are with non-weatherd block, and I've always split my own. I'm assuming if I split a weathered block, I'm going to end up with a sharp edge that doesn't match the rest of the edges. I was planning on ordering factory halves to get the same weathered look, but maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't a big deal?

Thanks in advance...

Joe Kantz

neversatisfiedj
10-20-2005, 10:41 AM
You are putting way too much thought into this. I do nothing but Versa-lok walls. Great product. You can core drill if you want to . I just pull mine thru the fron and put louver cover on it. I wish I could get a 26' long wall. All of mine have been 100 to 200 feet long. Feel free to ask all of your questions.