PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my lawn more level?

mark_the_psycho
10-21-2005, 08:39 AM
My lawn is not very level and I want to know if there is any way to make it level without tearing out any grass.

grassyfras
10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Without tearing grass go to the nursury and get some topsoil and throw it on there. Its not ideal but easiest and cheaperst

mark_the_psycho
10-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Will all of the grass grow through and how long will it take?

grassyfras
10-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Your gonna have to seed it. You kind of missed your window if you want it to look really nice for winter but you can still seed and just not expect much to show till spring.

PurpHaze
10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
My lawn is not very level and I want to know if there is any way to make it level without tearing out any grass.

Filling valleys is easy (topsoil suggestion) but you may have to cut down some of the humps also. Once you have the topsoil in the valleys then use caution until everything sets up. If no setup is allowed (including new grass) then running equipment over the lawn will displace the soil and you're back to square one. I'd personally do the filling in now and wait until just before optimal growing season to seed it.

Ric
10-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Mark

Depending on how unlevel your lawn is a Roller can help to even it out. Of course the roller will also cause compaction that mean you will need to Aerate also. Rollers work best on wet soil.

Top Dressing has also been recommend and The soil used should be as close to the native soil already there. A section on Chain Link fence with weights can be dragged over the Top Dressing to get a final grade. If you Top Dress a little at a time, the grass should grow without re-seeding.