PDA

View Full Version : Power rake or not in fall

meets1
10-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Do you guys power rake any lawns in the fall? This one crew here is doing every lawn they service. We do all that work in the spring. Only thing we do is aeration - try to do it before we fertilizer but not always in the schedule.

fga
10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
i do it in the spring and fall. fall is more involved, for us, usaully repairing summer damage. power rake , fertilzer, seed, peat moss.

in the spring, we do the same, just no seed, due to the pre emergent.

good money in doing this way.

grassyfras
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Doing it this late will probbly make it look like Sh*t for winter. I think power raking is over done most the time. Also depends on the grass.

jd boy
10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
aerate in the fall, thatch in the spring.
it will make the lawn look crappy for the winter plus you want thatch for winter protection

Green-Pro
10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
We have been power raking, seed & starter fert this fall due to the beating a lot of lawns took from the severe drought of summer. I don't agree that it makes lawns look like crap or that it causes the lawn to winter hard. When done within a common sense time frame in the fall the raking and seeding will benefit the lawn, think about it, the best time to seed a new lawn is in the fall.

We sold a good deal of aeration this fall but the power raking, if I would check my records, probably sold just as well, perhaps better when you include the seeding and starter fert (yes some folks wanted just aeration & no more)

-Geoff

ProLawns
10-21-2005, 04:29 PM
If the lawn has a lot of thatch or bermuda I power rake, then aerate. I use delta blades which dig up thatch and loosen the surface. This aids in germination and the lawn looks great for winter.

grassyfras
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Green- Pro I agree that timing is everything but hes asking about doing it now( to me at least). I wouldn't beucase of how late it is even if it had alot of thatch.

fga
10-21-2005, 05:07 PM
in ny, i'm usually still cutting til decmeber 15th, even if its only slight growth. late septemeber/october gives me plenty of time to get things in order for the holidays. i did one last week, and the seed is already coming up good. we have mixtures of perrenial rye and kentucky blue.

Green-Pro
10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Green- Pro I agree that timing is everything but hes asking about doing it now( to me at least). I wouldn't beucase of how late it is even if it had alot of thatch.

Yep, didn't catch that, also notice he is in NW Iowa (will be snowing there before long me thinks). I would say though I being in southeast Iowa or where you are located to the south, would not be afraid of doing even now. We have a new lawn to seed on Monday, I know most folks figure seeding is best from mid-August to October, just seems to me the more I'm around the more I notice, like a lot of seeding gets done late October and even early November (at least around here. JMO but seems lawns seeded in August & October always seem to tank, some of the best lawns I've seen (from an hobby/enthusiast standpoint) are the September and early November ones, again JMO and my limited experience in my profile reflects experience in doing this as a business only.

Thanks for the heads up on the original post though.

meets1
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Been watching that "crew" going like crazy power raking all there lawns. Were doing fall clean ups, finishing our fertilizer apps, and doing a little seeding, and of course preparing for the winter. We have a weeks worth of aeration to do, but I also do some in the spring.

Generally, we only thatch in the spring, aeration in fall & spring, depending upon fert. apps of post or pre emg.

Green-Pro
10-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Meets1 where in NW Iowa are you at, if you don't mind me asking?

-Geoff

meets1
10-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I am loacted 1 hour from sioux city iowa, and 1 hour from sioux falls, sd. Hope that helps.

Green-Pro
10-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I am loacted 1 hour from sioux city iowa, and 1 hour from sioux falls, sd. Hope that helps.

Yep, know the area somewhat well, my wifes best friend from college is from Wall Lake (home of Cookies famous BBQ sauce) still lives in the area with husband and kids. My wife and daughters went for a visit earlier this summer and stayed at Okoboji.

Have a great fall

P.S. great ice cream factory there too!!

Microbe
10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I was under the impression that thatching is a fall service do too seeds that have been left by many weeds over the season. I was told that thatching in the spring rakes up all those seeds from other plants and unwanted plants causing a weedy lawn... I mean it was an interesting theory, but what do you guy's think about that one?

Runner
10-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Actualy, early fall is the most optimum time to do dethatching and power raking. This is for several reasons, actually. First, when it is done in the fall, the turf has a much better foothold and is well established. This limits the amount of damage and unnecessary good turf that is inevitably torn out with this process. In the spring, you are tearing out the tatch and/or dead grass tissue accumaulated, but you are also tearing out much more good turf because as it is coming out of dormancy it doesn't have nearly as strong of a hold. Second, when it's done in the fall, the turf DOES have time to recover (plus doesn't have to do as much) and no soil tearing is occuring in spring. This way, there is absolutely no compromise put on the vapor barrier of pre-emergents that are put down.
Now, many people like to do a good raking in the springto loosen up dead and/or matted grass (and left over leaves). There is nothing wrong with this, because it does not even COMPARE to actual dethatching. The main thing about doing rakeovers in the spring is that they are done early - early enough to nt interfere with the pre-emergents that are put down. If not, they should be done quite later. Now, I like to do a good rakeover on many of our turfs because it lifts them up and allows them to breathe, allows sunlight to get in and therefore promotes a quicker greenup.