PDA

View Full Version : 4" drain under sidewalk??

GFTC
10-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone have any suggestions or tricks to "tunneling" under a sidewalk to install a drain?
Thanks,
Brandon

o-so-n-so
10-22-2005, 04:00 PM
High pressure water.

Lisk
10-22-2005, 04:56 PM
ahhh sorry pics didn't work....

Dirty Water
10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
High pressure water, a directional bore, doing it by hand, or using the Borz-It.

Take your pick :)

Boycea
10-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Take a piece of PVC pipe and place it where you want the tunnel to be. Take high pressure water and force it through the pipe. Push the PVC pipe as you are forcing the water through. The water will bore the dirt out, and your tunnel won't collapse because you will have the PVC in it.

GFTC
10-22-2005, 09:39 PM
A power washer is the only thing I have that might work. Has anyone used one for this type of job or no. Or, I'll just dig by hand.

Dreams To Designs
10-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I use a pressure washer all the time for putting pipe under sidewalks. Use a tip that gives just enough opening and push the pvc or ads through. Best to pressure down grade so the water and spoils have a place to go. If that isn't the case, dig a hole at the end you will be pushing to and the water and spoils will have a place to go. Your trench leading up to the sidewalk will have to be dug first, so that the pressure washer wand can lay flat and tunnel through with only a slight pitch.

Kirk

bigandy
10-24-2005, 11:07 PM
The Borz-it will work well if you have a heavy enough drill (i've smoked 'em) and the soil is not rocky. We chase the tunnel out with a chain and something on the end to make the pipe easier to push.

PurpHaze
10-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Bore it. With a 4" drain line going in you'll need plenty of room. After the initial bore then pul back a larger bullet. The 4" pipe will go through like a charm.