PDA

View Full Version : Fake pea gravel?

cclllc
10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I have on my walkway and porches what looks like gravel glues to the concrete.I would like to know more about this process.I know it needs sealing but I have spots where the gravel are missing.Does anyone know about this?

Dirty Water
10-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about exposed aggregate concrete?

http://www.jsimsconcrete.com/images/23SimsL.jpg

That is done by pouring and screeding the concrete like you usually would, except you treat the top surface with a solvent to keep it from hardening, then, once the slab firms up, you spray off the concrete and you get exposed aggregate.

If you use a nice epoxy sealer, it ends up looking like the picture above.

A good concrete sealer can fix the messed up spots when he seals it.

cclllc
10-22-2005, 09:23 PM
No,that isn't what I mean.What I have was glued to the existing concrete and then sealed. I have done the exposed agg. before.

JKOOPERS
10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
i know excatlly what you are talking about . some companies here in st. louis do that crap and it always comes off. they charge a good penny for that crap too.

cclllc
10-25-2005, 01:44 PM
It is ok if you keep it sealed.

MarcSmith
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I think your talking about "poly pebble"

it very small pea gravel layered about 1/2" thick and its held in place or mixed with a polyeurethane that "glues" it together to give an attractive, but pourus surface. You see a lot of it around pool decks in florida. and it does need to be resealed periodicaly to keep the top layer of gravel glued down...

It does look some what like the exposed agregate, but without the concrete.

my dad had it at his house in Florida.

http://www.northwestfloor.com/Pages/Exterior.htm

DUSTYCEDAR
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
that neat looking

MarcSmith
10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
it very permable and the water woudl just flow through it and it weoul never get hot either....but if neglected you would get ity-bity pebbles breaking free...

cclllc
11-24-2005, 11:59 AM
How do you repair this crap? I have pebbles coming loose and some missing.

UNISCAPER
11-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Actually it looks like "seeded" exposed aggregate concrete. One way of exposed aggregate was mentioned earlier by Jon. The other way is to strike off the pour, then take jelly bean gravel of something similar and trowel it into the top. After it hardens you give it a ight acid wash, then blow a load of high gloss laquer sealer on top. From how the job looks by the description given, I'm betting it was a seeded job, weather it be poly rock, or the real thing because it is very easy to miss a small area or even have rock fall from that area after the job has been done. Thats why the method Jon described is the best, and if you want special effects, you simply mix the color of rock yyou want at the plant into the mud while being made. The plant will charge you dearly, but that is the best. Seeding causes alot of issues like described.