PDA

View Full Version : First wall cont.

mpflood
10-22-2005, 08:59 PM
second half of pictures, stairs to follow Monday

mbella
10-22-2005, 09:08 PM
It looks like you're doing a fine job.

I'm curious, what are you doing with the wet mix in the area where the steps will be installed?

mpflood
10-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Just building a lil platform to hold the next steps stone dust

mbella
10-24-2005, 07:48 AM
You shouldn't need to. Do you know about the pedestal method? Even if you don't, you should be building with base aggregate and screenings or sand.

I just noticed in one of your other pics there is dirt directly behind the wall. Are you gioing to remove that and replace it with drainage aggregate?

PurpHaze
10-24-2005, 08:46 AM
I just noticed in one of your other pics there is dirt directly behind the wall. Are you gioing to remove that and replace it with drainage aggregate?

One of his earlier pics shows some vertical tubing directly behind part of the wall. Don't know if these are dry wells as there's no explanation.

mpflood
10-24-2005, 09:26 AM
i appreciate the feed back no dirt against wall 2ft wide 3 ft high gravel behind wall
The tubes are for future fencing

pedestal method i have no idea the steps were created by pouring a slab and laying the next step on a bed of dust on top of slab

sheshovel
10-24-2005, 02:52 PM
You building method looks good as does the wall.My only question is...
.Are you sure your building a wall and not a swimming pool?

GreenMonster
10-24-2005, 10:46 PM
i have no idea the steps were created by pouring a slab and laying the next step on a bed of dust on top of slab

Next time, if not the pedestal method, backfill and compact behind each new step with your base aggregate. If you pour a slab, you stairs are no longer on a flexible aggregate base like the rest of your wall, and susceptible to heaving through frost. Don't forget fabric to seperate your backfill soil from clean stone.

fall46
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
A couple of observations:

A) In pic wall017.jpg I notice a downspout from what iam guessing is the neighboors house that will be directing water towards the back of the wall. I would make sure u have your 3/4 free draining rock behind the wall and fabric that will separate that from your dirt. I would also include perforated pipe @ laying directly behind the wall with a slight slope exiting to daylight. That gravel should be within 6-8'' of your cap or top of the wall and then wrapped "over"with the fabric with your topsoil or fill soil on top of that. If you dont wrap it .........all that soil leaches into your gravel making the free draining gravel useless. It appears that fabric is directly behind the wall vs between gravel and your undisturbed soil and not wrapped. Cant tell from the pictures though so I apologize if u have done it.

B) Although the height of the wall is relatively small I would still be inclined to have @ least half of the first block buried relative to the grade unless paver's are going in and butting up against the block vs simply pushing dirt "up" against the block.. Again not clear from pictures

C Lastly not sure what type of fence your putting up privacy chain link etc and I would like to hear from other on this. But I believe it needs be setback @ least 1' ( I have heard as much as 3' from face of the wall but that seems like overkill to me) as to avoid any additional pressure on the back of the wall. (Not that it should be doing much moving anyways) But u may not have the room as the property line may not allow any setback? Anyone else have an opinion on that?

cgland
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
A typical installation of tubes for fencing requires them to have a minimum separation of 3' from the face of the wall.

Chris

cgland
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=mpflood]i appreciate the feed back no dirt against wall 2ft wide 3 ft high gravel behind wall
The tubes are for future fencing

In your one pic it clearly shows dirt packed in behind the wall! with no separation fabric between the two.

Chris

jblawns123
10-27-2005, 06:19 PM
CAll me crazy but it sure looks like he has gravel directly behind the wall, and filter fabric set. The only thing I would question is the cement under the stairs. I would have just used stone dust. I would be worried about water trapped under the blocks, on top of the cement, all freezing together and cracking the blocks.

Looks like a proper installation otherwise. I looked at all the pics closely.

I noticed in wall 020 pic, The guy is wearing those mail order gloves that they send me every year. I have like 4 pairs of them I got for free and never ordered any. Did you order some? I actually wore a pair today on a timber wall for the first time. I liked them.

mpflood
10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all the GOOD input! I have plenty of 3/4 stone behind that wall.
I guess my mistake was no separation fabric between that and the dirt.The fabric you see is just 10 " deep to prevent any dirt from bleeding through the
wall right away.I also will see how my steps will fare in the cold,The failure you guys point out makes a lotta sense to me now.Also good point about the trees.I do expect them to die a quick death now.The one near the front of the house(not pictured) is scheduled to be removed.As far as the fence, a lil 4ft pvc type fence on the sidewall and a gate at the front and also at the top of steps.The tubes are right on the property line(Would arborvite or similar trees be better so close to wall.
The first coarse will be completely burried by q.p. and asphalt
And those are good gloves,I buy them at the korean market for a dollr a pair.
Thanks again

fall46
10-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I figured the property line was an issue....depending on what the goal of the fence is trying to accomplish.. privacy, ascetics ........I like the idea of the arborvitae's vs a fence. But not sure how much dirt they would have to "root" into.

If you haven't done so yet, I would try @ the very least to place some fabric/geotextile over your free draining rock so the soil does not leach DOWN into it. By placing soil just on top it will leech down and the 3/4 rock no longer become free draining.

A way to think of it is the fabric becomes a half burrito with the fabric starting opposite of where u have it in the pic and then folding over tucked behind the back of your block.

Other than that looks good!

motoraced
10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
nevermind.

kemmer
10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
looks good floody

mpflood
10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks Ryan,
Well, I hope my stairs don't "Heave".
I don't recall if i mentioned,but this first attempt is at my house.

tomorrow i will be capping the wall with c.m. 2 wall stone 3"

PurpHaze
10-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks Ryan,
Well, I hope my stairs don't "Heave".
I don't recall if i mentioned,but this first attempt is at my house.

tomorrow i will be capping the wall with c.m. 2 wall stone 3"

I don't know all the technical stuff others have commented on but it looks good to me and you should be proud of your work.

You answered my question as to cap stones. :D

I noted on other pictures that there are pegs that hold the block courses together. What are these made of?

kris
10-28-2005, 09:58 PM
who's the lazy guy just standing around in all the pics ? ...I'd fire him.:waving:

mbella
10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

mpflood
10-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Ha Ha, Thats Richard. He did all the digging,moving of material.I told him some comments were made to that effect and he was pissed:p

allaccesslandscaping
10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
nice wall is that the country manner? I just started using that wall they turn out real nice....How much do you pay a pallet

mpflood
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes, Country Manor 6". They cost me 475.00 per pallet

kemmer
03-10-2006, 06:45 PM
hey mike, bringing back an old thread, but i had a question, howd u dig out the area? did you rent a machine?

mpflood
03-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Ya Mon! That area(aprox. 13' x 30' x 3 feet deep ) cost me 500 + disposal.

disposal consisted of 4 loads in a 7.5 yd dump 250.00 for that.

another 6 yds was taken away by bobcat dude,included in original 500.

another 5 yds was put back behind wall(fill)

another 3 yds was distributed around my property

(18 yds)

so basicaly a job of that size requires a 20 yd dumster for dirt(or other disposal method)

kemmer
03-10-2006, 08:33 PM
so wait, you dug that all out? or did you rent a machine?

amvega
03-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Looks really nice. I'd like to see it after the fence. I love the look of the treads for the steps. I would not recommend using the cement though. These walls are made to rise and fall with the frost freeze. All we ever use is the same material we use for the base. Other then that it looks great. I like the contrast in the color of the block

zim bob the landscaper
03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
looks good to me. i like the gray alot nice job your doing well.

mpflood
03-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys

I hired the machine + operator + 6 yds take away for 5 hundred

kemmer
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
o ok, could you email me all the name

Snowyleaflandscaping@yahoo.com

sheshovel
03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Seriously though you did a greaT job on this wall,can we see pics of the whole area?That would be nice too?Ya know like the first ones you showed only all done the whole wall.If you can that would be great.I like your steps too..very nicely done.And your choice of material for the wall.

mpflood
03-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Hey, they dont call me "80% Mike" for nothing!

Seriously,I will post when finished.Work around my house is truely "work in progress"lol

cedarcroft
03-11-2006, 06:46 AM
despite the cement and fabric criticism (which makes sense to me now) I think the overall construction looks very nice. I still don't get why people are paying to get rid of dirt?!?!?!? this is the second post I have seen on LS regarding paying to dispose of dirt. is it me or is this insane?

mrusk
03-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Some jobs have no where on site to hide the extra spoils. I never had to pay to get rid of dirt. Usually there is always someone looking for fill, you just have to ask around.

One retainingwall i built i needed to bring in 70 yards of fill. I asked around a guy new a guy digging a foundation that had to get rid of the dirt. Free trucking too. But since i had to have the dirt dumped on a year old pavement driveway i declined the offer. I couldn't be dropping dirt with big rocks on a new driveway. Its a shame though. Would of saved me about 1000.