PDA

View Full Version : Installing mulch with leaf VAC

dmc456
10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Anyone ever tried using a leaf vacuum to suck mulch out of a trailer and blow it into the beds?

Basically a low cost mulch blower.

dlandscaping
10-23-2005, 05:54 PM
bad idea.
10 chars so
very bad idea. Think about it.

dmc456
10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
bad idea.
10 chars so
very bad idea. Think about it.

"10 chars so" ??? What does that mean?

kickin sum grass
10-23-2005, 07:39 PM
the thought has crossed my mind but I dont think you could get to far from the unit as it might not be able to blow thru the hose far enough. We had 250' hose on a blower this spring. A leaf vac probably could not go that far.

dmc456
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
the thought has crossed my mind but I dont think you could get to far from the unit as it might not be able to blow thru the hose far enough. We had 250' hose on a blower this spring. A leaf vac probably could not go that far.

Do you use a mulch blower? Why type of blower housing is used. I'm guessing they are similar except the dicharge hose is only 4"-5" which will reduce the CFMs but greatly increase the velocity of air allowing it to move the mulch through the hose. I also assume the dicharge hose has a smooth innner surface.

Let me know.

MR HYDROSEED
10-23-2005, 09:28 PM
they are completely different. the mulch blower uses an airlock and a very powerful positive displacement blower to push material throught the hose. A leaf vac will have a lot of air blowing but no pressure.

all ferris
10-23-2005, 09:45 PM
I know a company around here that bought a mulch blower truck ($120,000) and they don't use it. They claim the amigos are better spreading the mulch by hand????

SodKing
10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I know a company around here that bought a mulch blower truck ($120,000) and they don't use it. They claim the amigos are better spreading the mulch by hand????

I have a hard time believing that...they must not know how to use it right or don't trust anyone to drive it around.

kickin sum grass
10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
I know 2 people who sold their pull behind units cuz they prefer to do it by hand. I thought it was a huge time and labor saver myself.

dmc456
10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Interesting... Doesn't say much for the small blower units.

mdb landscaping
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
you wont be able to use a leaf loader as a mulh blower. we have a finn unit mounted on a 4800 series International. we shoot about 5,000 yards a year between pine bark and certified playground fiber. who ever said its not a time saver must not know how to use the machine properly:D if i had to go back to the wheel barrow and shovel i think id hang myself. its one of the best machines ive ever used. we actually have a huge industrial leaf vaccum with a 50 hp motor on it. before we had our mulch blower, we landed a huge landscape install on a hill. we reversed the impellar on the leaf vac and got it to blow the mulch, but you had to shovel it directly into the impellar. the standard leaf vac will not hold up to the abuse, not to mention youll never be able to attach any length of hose and get it to shoot through.