PDA

View Full Version : massachusetts DOT towed me!

lawn king
10-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Ma. DOT towed my trailer off rt. 128 friday for non compliance of fed. regulations. Don't let it happen to you, it blows the whole day!

lawnmaniac883
10-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Dont they have better things to do...

DUSTYCEDAR
10-23-2005, 12:42 PM
ok what did they get u for?

vntgrcr
10-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Can you give us some details on what they nabbed you for??

SouthernYankee
10-23-2005, 11:58 PM
good old Ma, I sure dont miss all the BS from the State trying to protect me.

Boycea
10-27-2005, 02:54 AM
What was the reason you got towed? Did they take your truck and trailer or just your trailer?

lawn king
10-28-2005, 11:17 PM
They got me for no health card & non functioning trailer brakes. I now have the card and the brakes working.

olderthandirt
10-28-2005, 11:24 PM
They got me for no health card & non functioning trailer brakes. I now have the card and the brakes working.

Don't break the law and have good equipment and they would not have towed you. lesson learned the hard way is not soon forgotten

lawn king
10-29-2005, 06:59 AM
I have no beef with the dot. They wer'e just diong their job, in fact the cop was a good guy. I could have been fined $1000. but he let me go with a warning. Thankx for the brake trooper L.

98rammer
10-30-2005, 11:29 AM
they've been cracking down real bad. a medium sized construction company in nh got fined my the mass dot at a weigh station a couple weeks ago...now has DOT #'s on all his trucks.

Guthrie&Co
10-30-2005, 09:42 PM
when i worked for other contractors i refused to work for anyone that would keep the equipment in good shape. including trailer brakes. if i have to drive the truck hauling your crap then iwould like to have brakes. i dont want the thought of killing a family looming over my head for the rest of my life due to a negligent employer.

South Florida Lawns
11-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Because when applied there is no evidence that they work or not. Did you mean brake lights? Or did they just randomly pull you over and made close inspections? The reason I ask all these ??'s is that I have a flatbed with no breaks right now, and my heavy Kodiak will stop it just fine, but I will add trailer brakes soon.

arborist-28
11-01-2005, 02:32 PM
shoot they towed me too for drivin my mower down the interstate ... c

lawn king
11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Because when applied there is no evidence that they work or not. Did you mean brake lights? Or did they just randomly pull you over and made close inspections? The reason I ask all these ??'s is that I have a flatbed with no breaks right now, and my heavy Kodiak will stop it just fine, but I will add trailer brakes soon.
In MA. you must have a battery powered breakaway device, it applys the electric brakes if the trailer should brake loose from the truck. The dot can pull up beside you and simply look at the trailer to see if you have it, if you don't your workday is blown.

Tvov
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I wonder if the increased MA inspections are related to Connecticut. We had that big accident in Avon, with the truck losing control going downhill and killing 4 people. CT DOT has been really going nuts with inspections.

Make sure you are polite if you get pulled over. They will find something wrong if you piss them off.

lawn king
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I wonder if the increased MA inspections are related to Connecticut. We had that big accident in Avon, with the truck losing control going downhill and killing 4 people. CT DOT has been really going nuts with inspections.

Make sure you are polite if you get pulled over. They will find something wrong if you piss them off.
They had a team in Quincy Ma. this morning on rt. # 53

Team_Yamaha
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
They are doing the same thing here in WI. One of my drivers got pulled over the other day for inspection. The WI State Trooper gave him/us warnings for the licence plate on the trailer being blocked from view (the driver backed the trailer up to a dirt pile to load a A300 Bobcat and the plate got covered by dirt.) Opps. And the other was because the DOT #'s where covered up by mud. I have them on the rocker panels of my trucks, and apparently one of the sites that he was on was a little muddy. Because 3/4 of the truck and 1/2 the trailer was covered in mud, actually the only part of the truck that didn't have mud on it was the tailgate. But if thats the worst thing that they get me for, I geuss that is a good thing.

rbriggs
11-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Does anyone from Mass have a list of DOT required equipment, etc. for commercial vehicles? We've been stopped by the MSP truck team once, and they were very fair. The only violations that they found were 1. no medical card 2. a small tear in one of the tires. They basically issue you a warning and y ou have 15 days in which to show proof that corrections were made. Easy enough. Very fair in my opinion.
The issue we have is with some of the city/town who aggressively stop commercial vehicles to deter them from operating in their towns. Sickening.